AETN Setup with Electrolyzer

Hey guys i wanna ask some help for the AETN. It use hydrogen to work, so the best way is to couple with an electrolyzer setup. My compact electrolyzer setup is self sufficent if paired with the hydrogen generator and a jumbo battery. However if i use a smart battery, i have to deal with extra hydrogen which often i have to drop into space after many cycles.

What i am asking is a good setup with a good automation to get rid of extra hydrogen along wtih powering the AETN and hydrogen generator.

Thanks

Electrolyzer makes 112 g/s of hydrogen.
Generator uses 100 g/s and the AETN uses 10g/s.
Unless you're losing a lot of hydrogen to a bad setup, it should run close to perpetually.
It's very hard getting 100% efficiency though, but i guess you theoretically could pull it off.

Or you can set up a gas element sensor for the Hydrogen.   If your SPOM

isn't too compact and you have excess Hydrogen floating around.

Otherwise you can put a valve on the gas going into the generator and control it that way.   Bleeding off just enough.   I never got the right amount going to fully automate the excess for power. 

I'd either drain all the hydrogen or it would eventually backup.    Tweak it though,  should find a magic number.

33 minutes ago, Artorias36 said:

have to deal with extra hydrogen which often i have to drop into space after many cycles.

If you are interested in storing the extra hydrogen in an infinite gas storage room, there are lots of options. 

35 minutes ago, FantasticMoose said:

Electrolyzer makes 112 g/s of hydrogen.
Generator uses 100 g/s and the AETN uses 10g/s.
Unless you're losing a lot of hydrogen to a bad setup, it should run close to perpetually.
It's very hard getting 100% efficiency though, but i guess you theoretically could pull it off.

So the hydrogen should go first to the AETN and then to the Generator? Cause if it is the opposite the generator may consume all of it before it goes to the AETN or am I wrong?

8548727395.jpg

This is my setup for the electrolyzer, I was trying on my own to make the AETN to work full time, but it doesn't, it works like for 5 seconds every 15 seconds.

Single electrolyzers are really hard to get to 100%, so you might have problems having 100% uptime on the AETN.
I'd definetely power the generator as a priority and then have the nonbridge connection going to the AETN.

Hydrogen atmo at 650 and oxygen atmo at 850 gives me the best results personally, but i also have 4 high chambers, so that might change the numbers that give you the most continous flow.

I I were you I'd place another bridge in line with the one you have already, route the bridge to the generator and the overflow to the AETN.

Since hydrogen floats up try putting the pump above the electrolyzer. As it is the hydrogen collects at the upper layer of the room

Using a gas filter to separate the oxygen works too. But maybe too pumps is more effective as there is more oxygen at the bottom

1 hour ago, Steve8 said:

Since hydrogen floats up try putting the pump above the electrolyzer. As it is the hydrogen collects at the upper layer of the room

Using a gas filter to separate the oxygen works too. But maybe too pumps is more effective as there is more oxygen at the bottom

No need for that.
His setup already seperates the gasses perfectly, due to the 1 element per tile rule that makes sure that oxygen can never slip across the door.

@Artorias36: Unless you have mouth breathers a single electrolyzer handles 8 dupes pretty decently.
The real danger of the SPOM is forgetting it and letting it clog up or letting it eat all your water.

This is my 4x SPOM with hydrogen overflow, It's going to make Oxygen for 32 dupes and excess power for a metal refinery and a TA.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1832248828

Right now it's powering most of my base though, which feels pretty damn good.

2 gas pump working almost all the times, I think these consume more electricity than using 1 gas pump + gas filter. more space also.

PS. 300 gas storage store 45,000 kg worth of hydrogen = (my design) infinite gas tank with 5000 kg density. via 4 Electrolyzers and 1 Hydrogen generator this scheme should fill all gas storage beyond 2000 cycles.

15 hours ago, FantasticMoose said:

No need for that.
His setup already seperates the gasses perfectly, due to the 1 element per tile rule that makes sure that oxygen can never slip across the door.

@Artorias36: Unless you have mouth breathers a single electrolyzer handles 8 dupes pretty decently.
The real danger of the SPOM is forgetting it and letting it clog up or letting it eat all your water.

This is my 4x SPOM with hydrogen overflow, It's going to make Oxygen for 32 dupes and excess power for a metal refinery and a TA.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1832248828

Right now it's powering most of my base though, which feels pretty damn good.

Can you also post the vent screen?

1 hour ago, Lafara said:

2 gas pump working almost all the times, I think these consume more electricity than using 1 gas pump + gas filter. more space also.

Your setup is one electrolyser and one pump?

Do you have a screenshot please ?

Does it consume less on the long run (data ?) ?

9 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Your setup is one electrolyser and one pump?

Do you have a screenshot please ?

Does it consume less on the long run (data ?) ?

I don't think is effective. One pump can only bring 500 g/s while the output of the electrolyzer is 1000 g/s

There's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, but my personal preference for a single electrolyzer SPOM is to use liquid bridges to prefer sending the Hydrogen to the Hydrogen Generator. However, I DO use a Smart Battery, so that if the pipe to the Generator gets full, the Hydrogen goes to the AETN...somewhere along that line is another liquid bridge that will send the Hydrogen to Gas Tanks if the route to the AETN gets full...if by some miracle the Gas Tanks fill up, any further Hydrogen gets diverted to another Hydrogen Generator for destruction.

Might be a bit convoluted but it works, and self powers the SPOM quite happily.

15 minutes ago, JesusOnEez said:

There's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, but my personal preference for a single electrolyzer SPOM is to use liquid bridges to prefer sending the Hydrogen to the Hydrogen Generator. However, I DO use a Smart Battery, so that if the pipe to the Generator gets full, the Hydrogen goes to the AETN...somewhere along that line is another liquid bridge that will send the Hydrogen to Gas Tanks if the route to the AETN gets full...if by some miracle the Gas Tanks fill up, any further Hydrogen gets diverted to another Hydrogen Generator for destruction.

Might be a bit convoluted but it works, and self powers the SPOM quite happily.

Thanks this is the solution i wanted. My temporary solution was to send the extra hydrogen in space, but i had to manualy do it and sometimes after many cycles i would forget. I didn't think to link the extra hydrogen to another generator.

20190814202007_1.thumb.jpg.7ec155ef8a5800a087742f98b914079a.jpg

gas pump always working 24h/cycle regardless of air density it submerge in.but Electolyzer cease its function once maximum pressure reach.

designing closed room Electrolyzer. what you should focus for efficiency is whether the gas pump pumping full load 500g gas pump capacity.

pumping 500g of gas drain very same amount of electricity as pumping 30g of gas.

in short, working 240w+240w full time is less efficient than 240w+120w full times.

20190814202341_1.thumb.jpg.b135d26b8a360edf69b5ad71cf8e4d49.jpg

20 hours ago, Artorias36 said:

So the hydrogen should go first to the AETN and then to the Generator? Cause if it is the opposite the generator may consume all of it before it goes to the AETN or am I wrong?

8548727395.jpg

This is my setup for the electrolyzer, I was trying on my own to make the AETN to work full time, but it doesn't, it works like for 5 seconds every 15 seconds.

Your hydrogen production is going to relate directly to your oxygen production.  The more oxygen you use, the more hydrogen you'll create.  That said.. you're also burning whatever hydrogen you produce, regardless on if you need it.  If you want to run your AETN continually, then you'll need a pipe layout that puts the AETN at the end of the segment rather than in the middle.  Alternatively, you can use a bridge to pull hydrogen into a second line that terminates at the AETN.  The way you have it set up, the AETN pulls only what its reservoir can hold, and the rest is going to your generator and getting burned off.

That said... I would recommend that you build a chamber around your AETN and fill it with hydrogen.  CO2 is a terrible gas for doing anything temperature related.  It has a very low conductivity and very low specific heat capacity.  Hydrogen, on the other hand, is one of the best.  You'll get your best cooling out of an AETN if its surrounded by at least 2kg of hydrogen.  This also applies to wheezewarts.  They'll do practically nothing in CO2, are marginal in oxygen, but work pretty well in hydrogen.  When you're using a gas to change temperatures, you're at a considerable disadvantage -- the amount of actual mass to move the temperature is very small compared with solids and gasses.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ee317ed880ff859eecdf906fd7b8bcd1.png

As @Lafara stated, you can optimize your electrolyzers using a closed room.  In the case above, I can continually produce a full pipe of oxygen, and the gasses sort automatically.  The top fan only kicks on periodically, but the bottom two run continually.  There is a drawback with the above build: If hydrogen backs up, it'll stop producing oxygen.  Since hydrogen is so useful, especially later with rockets, I generally build a room like this to keep the extra and make sure my hydrogen output is clear:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.adfd6c865e8d653018f6517a95d40d9c.png

In this case, the pump only kicks on if my reservoir is empty.  The hydrogen line prefers to fill the reservoir before venting into the room. 

11 minutes ago, Lafara said:

pumping 500g of gas drain very same amount of electricity as pumping 30g of gas.

Yes, and no.. it depends on where the bottleneck is.  For example, if your oxygen output pipe is only allowing 30g/s of gas, then the pump will only kick on when a full packet moves.  If, on the other hand, the pipe is empty and the room is low pressure, then the pump will run continually and burn all your power moving practically nothing.  This is one reason why I use two electrolyzers and three gas pumps: It guarantees that my oxygen pumps will always be in enough oxygen to pull a full 500g packet any time they are running.  I've seen builds where they try to keep the electrolyzer going 100% and.. it means that sometimes your gas pumps won't be pulling full packets, which burns extra power.

23 hours ago, Artorias36 said:

Can you also post the vent screen?

Eh, sure.
It's a mess though.
The bottom hydrogen pipe isn't in use yet, but will be used as a last overflow from the 2 hydrogen storages to the right, when my dupe numbers rise high enough to make excess hydrogen.

20190815120409_1.jpg

Archived