Pip Planting: Everything You Need to Know

46 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

You might try changing the 3-4 output design to drop every third tile, to spread out the heat and be guaranteed that glass doesn't get buried.

I would be OK with double cooking algae -> dirt -> sand and have also sand natural tiles in some nice pattern like here when I set valve to 5kg so only 5 vents where used:

dirt_sand.thumb.png.448e302adb6d1e69d074cd7c4b996ee1.png

But ONI is a bit random and doing same thing again gives different results and also there are big differences depending on game speed.

I’m liking the glass algae to dirt cooker. Mainly because it’s controlled, adding the heat you need for the cooked tiles and not much more.

What’s the best approach to dumping the algae? Conveyor droppers with no way for Dupes to pick up the algae lumps once they’re dumped? Something else?

Have you tried it with 10kg algae? If so, how about 15kg? That setup should work to not cook to sand.

4 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

What’s the best approach to dumping the algae?

8 hours ago, nakomaru said:

For algae, you can construct/deconstruct storage bins to drop 1-10kg of algae into each location.

With a conveyer you can only control in 25kg chunks. With a bin you can control to 1 kg.

Let's not just documenting success, documenting failure is important to avoid exact same test again in the future. Puft not part of the test, even though almost buried few times

Insulated ceramic pipes, 3x game speed

Using algae under metal aluminum

Spoiler

Screenshot_134.thumb.png.9f83568fb3ef157cbe25507a3d2677eb.png

Result: FAIL

Most of the heat goes into heating 100kg metal

Using insulated ingenious tiles around, valve value: 2084. algae 5kg/tile

Spoiler

maketiles.gif.13267675adfcb026b06178ff7a5d4395.gif

Result: SUCCESS

Is it worth making insulated ingenious tiles around like that? Or just use 2x glass making to archive same amount?

If you’re deconstructing bins, that means the resulting algae dumps are in Dupe tool range. So if you have any open algae storage anywhere, a Dupe may pick up your algae lumps and store them. Though I guess the answer to that is “don’t do have any storage space open” when you do this.

2 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I guess the answer to that is “don’t do have any storage space open” when you do this.

Change to sweep only for container that accepting algae or add door to block access

25 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I guess the answer to that is “don’t do have any storage space open” when you do this.

Yep! Disable auto sweeping algae during this.

27 minutes ago, abud said:

Screenshot_134.thumb.png.9f83568fb3ef157cbe25507a3d2677eb.png

Yep! It's why I chose airflow tiles. They do not interact with tiles to the sides or above (they are debris).

27 minutes ago, abud said:

maketiles.gif.13267675adfcb026b06178ff7a5d4395.gif

Love it! I would just rebuild the pipes and tiles once those 3 are done if you want a continuous line of dirt. I assume the valve is at about 2084g, right?

1 minute ago, nakomaru said:

I assume the valve is at about 2084g

8 minutes ago, abud said:

Using insulated ingenious tiles around, valve value: 2084. algae 5kg/tile

I'm using insulated ceramic for the pipes, is it not too high to make wild farms?

I think that buried glass issue happen when glass jumps to the side instead of to the top and then neighboring tile glass drop makes it buried. So probably doing every second tile first and then after it cools down the rest would be the safest way.

But in reality in my actual base I am still bellow 100 cycle so my dupes have low salaries and I did it with manual labor like this:

I got hot rock from a bit of magma changed to solid and then mixed it in storage with not so hot rock to get 150-200C.

Oh, the alien leaf kitties!  (As I like to nickname them.)  The second I saw one in my own colony, I hoped it would be useful rather than hostile, 'cos they're just so dang _cute_.  Now I know what they can do!  

...now, if only I could get past the basic basic basics of like, getting my colony to the "not dying right away" level...  : P

...Notorious

deconstructing manual airlock won't generate any natural metal tile in my colony, fill beyond the brim with oxygen and carbon dioxide.

umm .... cooking Algae !? if only hot sand desert has any algae to begin with, I'll try.

10 minutes ago, Lafara said:

deconstructing manual airlock won't generate any natural metal tile in my colony

Set it up like the animation. It needs walls surrounding it.

You can cook fertilizer too.

You can also cook coal into refined carbon, but that has a higher boiling point.

20190811184705_1.thumb.jpg.03ec597a6af31f5641ad083413671f01.jpg

oya, thanks :D

btw, no iron, reed fiber, algae, gold, slime, fertilizer, phosphorite really is hell.
no wonder new game description of sand desert is survive probability : slim

PS. no drecklet eggs x3 print yet. it's already miracle I manage to populace printed puft egg by now.

6 hours ago, bzgzd said:

I got hot rock from a bit of magma changed to solid and then mixed it in storage with not so hot rock to get 150-200C.

That “construct pipes from hot materials and embed them in metal tiles” approach is pretty ingenious too. My concerns are that (1) it requires that you dig to the magma zones first, or uncover a volcano, and (2) there are so many ways it can go wrong if you’re not careful. It’d be pretty easy to end up mixing hot rock into bins where you don’t want it, or construct things with hot rock that you don’t want to be 200 C.

I’ve never deliberately created igneous rock from magma, but I’ve had a few experiences screwing up because I stored hot regolith inside my base instead of in space, or had rocket exhaust melt stuff down to magma and then cool to very hot igneous rock.

12 hours ago, bzgzd said:

Wait... WTF Sand!

You get Sand on too little Algae or too much liquid Glass or a tile below that takes too little heat out of things. That is why my original version from a few weeks back had 50kg Algae and 25kg Glass on a Granite tile. I later tuned this to 10kg or 15kg glass and 10kg Algae on an insulated tile and found that this also eliminates the embedded Glass.

Obviously further tuning is possible. This approach has a pretty large range were it works and the effort of setting this up is pretty low, especially with the additional splitting.

So is 10kg the minimum amount of algae to make a proper tile once cooked? I’ve seen people post rules before, for the mass required to form a non-tile lump vs. a broken tile vs. an undamaged tile, but I don’t recall what they are.

Also, are there asteroids where algae’s nonexistent, but polluted water is plentiful enough to make boiling for dirt the proper way to make natural tiles? Given my experiences with volcanoes and polluted water, it seems like it would be easy to end up with partial / broken tiles or tiles over cooked all the way to sand.

Just now, Gus Smedstad said:

So is 10kg the minimum amount of algae to make a proper tile once cooked?

1kg works fine - it will solidify to a tile and not to debris. I have a hard time splitting below that.

If you are cooking with the glass forge, 1kg will likely turn into sand. Cook with a more controlled method for 1kg.

Boiling PW for dirt always produces debris.

For algae starved planets, craft fertilizer.

11 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

So is 10kg the minimum amount of algae to make a proper tile once cooked?

The glass-forge method gets unreliable for really low weights of Algae. With 5...10kg/tile, it is still pretty dependable.

No idea how low you can take it if you are willing to experiment. 

@nakomaruBeautiful thread. Just saw this now after trying to search for the other thread where you posted the 0-6 range pic. Credited you recently in a little youtube video (was just writing the description now). Wish i'd seen this first, my pip was in a vacuum :p 

Excellent work figuring the spacing and going to the effort of writing this up. x

Spoiler

13 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...now, if only I could get past the basic basic basics of like, getting my colony to the "not dying right away" level...  : P

What you might want to do now is make sure the floor underneath the dupes are not tile. Keep the ground leveled without touching. Ever since the pips have been introduced, I had to rethink my strategy.

A small update thanks to @vascoegertklei. There is a 3 tile high plant which needs even more distance from the top: the Thimble Reed.

Here, "plant" means the 1 to 3 tile height that the plants occupies. For decorative plants and sleet wheat, it means the 1 tile height that they occupy. Most plants including trees are 2 tiles high and branches do not count. Thimble Reeds are 3 tiles high.

Test: 1 pass/2 pass:

Spoiler

wheatpass.thumb.png.98bc844cd81c926227d43be339a9eb3b.pngtreepass.thumb.png.253c021c25fe5b1f04e0d4c558680b23.png

Test: 3 fail/pass:

Spoiler

reedfail.thumb.png.a83ef3c5c45b66c73b551cf147e20342.pngreedpass.thumb.png.fdb80c3ced6bb7785f01d23458c03d41.png

Archived