Pips planting rules are messed up

35 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Not sure the layout is really working as expected. Pips won't plant last waterseeds :-/ (take into account lines where some are planted, others are not done yet).

image.thumb.png.92cadb09baf2a769636f91272e231627.png

I created an account just so I could try to help you.

I don't know if it was the case, but it seems like you created the wild farm and let the pips roam about. That is not going to work. You need to be very adamant about the order of the planting they do if you want optimal usage.

For that you have to create the mini chambers like the wiki shows you, and limit the space of the planting of one seed at a time. The pip has planted that one seed? Great, open up a new chamber and let it plant the next one. Repeat until satisfied. And remember, always from right to left, top to bottom for ground seeds.

I have planted oxyferns and trees like that and it worked for me.

@Junksteel New info on that. You can actually do 3 plants, 3 spaces if you plant from right to left.

@OxCD You must plant the top row first, going from right to left. Then the row below that. That way you can do the 1x1 pattern. (Bottom to top if hanging plant.)

Keep in mind 3x3 is slightly more dense if you can end near a group of 3.

Also looks like you need rows 6 steps high if you plant peppernut (i.e. 5 spaces clearing if you use 1 tile thick floors). That seems to be one more space than Sleet Wheat, for example. Unless this was changed on release, I planted the Sleet Wheat before.

Planting was right-to-left, bottom-to-top.

On 7/31/2019 at 7:50 PM, Gurgel said:

Also looks like you need rows 6 steps high if you plant peppernut (i.e. 5 spaces clearing if you use 1 tile thick floors). That seems to be one more space than Sleet Wheat, for example. Unless this was changed on release, I planted the Sleet Wheat before.

Planting was right-to-left, bottom-to-top.

Reproduced! Tightest spacing I can get with peppers is every 6 tiles (5 tile rooms)!

Ahh!

Sleet wheat is still 5 tile spacing, so I simply had an improper understanding of upside-down plants. Sorry for the misinformation.

Looks like it's 6 left, 5 up, 5 right, 6 down.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

Reproduced! Tightest spacing I can get with peppers is every 6 tiles (5 tile rooms)!

Ahh!

Sleet wheat is still 5 tile spacing, so I simply had an improper understanding of upside plants. Sorry for the misinformation.

Looks like it's 6 left, 6 up, 5 right, 5 down.

Thanks for the confirmation!

I believe the confusion is you're measuring from the tile, not the 0:0 pixel of the tile.

So, the plant calculates not from the tile (6:6:5:5), it measures from the upper left corner of the cell itself in 6 tiles in each direction, and counts itself to the right and downward.

19 hours ago, blash365 said:

Does anybody know whether the planting rules for ceiling plants are the same as for floor plants? In my game it seems that there are different range criteria.:/

Peppernuts, planted bottom-to-top, right-to-left need 5 tiles clearance, i.e. 6 tiles floor spacing vertically. No idea whether that holds when you plant them top-to-bottom, but the first way I did and can confirm working.

wow, why not just make them 5% chance of planting a seed, instead of

(if pips can talk)

Pips: oh no Im not gonna plant in there Ill start from the right to left liked duuhhhh who does that kind of planting no style eww

On 26/07/2019 at 2:30 AM, OxCD said:

I've succeed to plant 6 trees in one room for natural reserve in the middle of my base without that much trouble (just have to deconstruct 8 or 9 plant pots, that I've rebuild after). Then I've succeed to plant 40 or 50 trees in the wild for free lumber. You should be doing something wrong.

The map is big. And it's free food/lumber. So having some constraints is logical.

I've no worries to build a vast wild trees installation. I've used a big free space for that. Then between the wild zones, after pip do there job of course to do not interfere, I've added domesticated trees. My area is deployed in line, and is alternating between wild and domesticated trees.

Pips were planting seeds quickly, and they were planting seeds where I expect those to be, since understanding even just a bit of the planting rules detailed by @nakomaru is enough if you anticipate.

Still in construction, still in cooling process, a bit anachic as I didn't plan everything as it is, but wild trees are there and some domesticated also.

image.thumb.png.043b61d85e11d5140d48da8ed2eb99a9.png

Woooow thats a lot of seeds how did you got them? Oo

32 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

wow, why not just make them 5% chance of planting a seed, instead of

(if pips can talk)

Pips: oh no Im not gonna plant in there Ill start from the right to left liked duuhhhh who does that kind of planting no style eww

Apparently Klei wanted a density limit (which I sort-of agree with) and that is the way they implemented it. Fortunately, when you know what works here, it is not that bad and planting goes pretty quickly.

On 26/07/2019 at 6:27 AM, Otkosss said:

I wanted to make an oxygen room with oxyferna. Created a room. Pip sowed one oksifern, and then did not. I dug up wild mucoobs from above and below, and the process started. A couple more cycles and you're done. In general, it turns out that the pips sit either in one cell or in a row 3, then in a gap of 3 and again. 3 \ 3 can be used to create parks near the kitchen \ shower \ scientific room

3F09n6ZmSAk.jpg

IHSmhWr5ndU.jpg

L3W0VhfUXkc.jpg

DrjV3xga1v4.jpg

You dont need to spawn/lock the seeds the way shown in the image just putting a storage inside the room will work :).

3 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Mostly into the wild. A few from the printer, but very few.

Youre a very lucky man i got a lot less seeds than you and im in arboria! I guess rime has a lot more seeds naturally in the map.

21 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Apparently Klei wanted a density limit (which I sort-of agree with) and that is the way they implemented it. Fortunately, when you know what works here, it is not that bad and planting goes pretty quickly.

Yeah I know that would be OP, but maybe pips be able to plants on tile with less #### hardness?

18 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Peppernuts, planted bottom-to-top, right-to-left need 5 tiles clearance, i.e. 6 tiles floor spacing vertically. No idea whether that holds when you plant them top-to-bottom, but the first way I did and can confirm working.

Thanks for the reply.

I am mostly concerned with dasha saltvines. My pips seem to not be particularily inclined to plant them.:/

Archived