Pips planting rules are messed up

1 minute ago, OxCD said:

And a lot more annoying. Wild pips would keep messing your wild farm erverytime you turn your back, you should have then to prison or kill them all. I highly prefer how it is actually.

More annoying than uncovering natural terrain one block at a time in a specific order and direction to force the game mechanics to have pips bury seeds where you want them? 

I’ve seen let’s-players completely give up on pips as a concept due to their fussy nature.

I honestly feel my suggestion would be a good compromise and by restricting the number of seeds they have access to could resolve the problem you forsee.

4 minutes ago, Muggins said:

More annoying than uncovering natural terrain one block at a time in a specific order and direction to force the game mechanics to have pips bury seeds where you want them? 

Yup :)

You don't need that much trouble to wild farm. You can do like mine, above, that just rectangles separated by rectangles.

If you want a "perfect" setup with wild plants, just review the rules (some people already summarized them) before to dig. And if already dug out, cook algae into dedicated spot.

10 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Yup :)

You don't need that much trouble to wild farm. You can do like mine, above, that just rectangles separated by rectangles.

If you want a "perfect" setup with wild plants, just review the rules (some people already summarized them) before to dig. And if already dug out, cook algae into dedicated spot.

My suggestion would also achieve a “perfect” setup by removing the specific plants you don’t want and limiting access pips have to seeds.

The result is the same but I have to admit that I am a casual gamer who doesn’t enjoying learning game mechanic rules and algorithms. My brain goes more towards how things would happen in the real world and then expect the game to be intuitive to that. 

58 minutes ago, Muggins said:

The result is the same but I have to admit that I am a casual gamer who doesn’t enjoying learning game mechanic rules and algorithms. My brain goes more towards how things would happen in the real world and then expect the game to be intuitive to that. 

Not a problem with that, you just aren't a spade.  Drop the pips with the seeds and let the magic happen, it won't be that much worse than microing for optimal yield.

I'm probably in the minority for liking the pip's ninjaing all my farm plots. It was adorably frustrating to have to uproot mirth leaf seeds over and over again, because each time the little bastards would replant it before a storage dupe swung by.  But you did end up with wild plants all over VERY quickly.  You didn't need to plan for wild areas; every open tile would have a plant in it.

I don't mind the idea, but one issue with changing it to a post check is we wouldn't be able to game the eligibility by order. Equivalently balanced checks would have to be made or it would be a big nerf. Well, that's can be overcome at least.

I like that pips are a little annoying. This leads to more pip death which increases the well-being of the universe.

3 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I do not care about optimal space usage

Somehow it looks like you did try to make it optimal usage but failed. Then decided to go with it anyways. :D

Just now, abud said:

Somehow it looks like you did try to make it optimal usage but failed. Then decided to go with it anyways. :D

Was more about "that pips can roam free in their habitat" (no 2 tile wide gaps).

Pips plant nice enough for me ^^
They plant every seed i get and the only "farm" i have is my maelwood/drecko farm..

df.thumb.PNG.98e738beaaea582f4c835a31dd558a62.PNG

They can roam a big zone and most areas are populated with 1-3 pips, but here (pic) they are always more then average, even when i place pip eggs far away, they come back here..
roam.thumb.PNG.af1665e3d76ba5eda614454ecb7f1444.PNG

14 minutes ago, thewreckedangle said:

so mine seems to have stayed like this for ... idk, MANY cycles.. they have not planted anything new, but i moved one to (above the beds) and it immediately planted to three trees.. yet the rest has stayed like this. :confused:

Oxyferns and decorative plants count.  Avaunt mirthleaf!  Welcome mealwood!

[ETA] Also pips can't climb ladders or jump more than one space.  Some of those levels should have room for more plants, but are lacking the pip or the seeds.

[ETAA] Or jump from the wall to the floor or vice versa.  Jumping is from floor tile to floor tile, then they climb the wall.

About arbor acorn seeds...

I read somewhere there is a chance for them to release an extra seed when uprooted. What are the conditions? Do we have to grow a tree to a certain point to increase the chance or it doesn't matter?

Are pip planting restrictions based on all plants in an area, or independent for each plant type?

I kind of like the idea of a wide assortment of plants being the ideal solution. It means you can't overdo a single plant type, and the mixed assortment of plants look better as well.

1 hour ago, bobucles said:

Are pip planting restrictions based on all plants in an area, or independent for each plant type?

I kind of like the idea of a wide assortment of plants being the ideal solution. It means you can't overdo a single plant type, and the mixed assortment of plants look better as well.

All plants, to my understanding. They love to cram a mealwood on one side of a tree and a mushroom on the other, and leave all areas nearby bare.

6 hours ago, thewreckedangle said:

so mine seems to have stayed like this for ... idk, MANY cycles.. they have not planted anything new, but i moved one to (above the beds) and it immediately planted to three trees.. yet the rest has stayed like this. :confused:

Why the confusion? Do you see many spots that have fewer than 3 plants within a 12x11 region of the tile? I see two eligible zones, but they lack pips.

If you redo everything from the top right, moving left then down. you should get about 10x higher density (delete top row). You can use a 3x3 pattern or a 1x1 pattern.

3 hours ago, Oozinator said:

why they are here now, more then somewhere else? Pips are attracted to jumpsteps?

They thought it is stairway to heaven.

Ozi my friend, I should remind you it is impossible to fully understand pips thought process without being one of them.

Spoiler

On 26/07/2019 at 11:17 AM, nakomaru said:

That should work. When you plant the 4th plant (4th from right, top row) look to the right 5 tiles and count. It sees two plants. Eligible.

Same density as 3x3*, but better for trees post nerf. They will each have 5-6 eligible spots for branches.

*At infinite length. For real distances, 3x3 will be more dense due to the ends. (At 9 tiles, 3x3 has 6 plants, 1x1 has 5.)

Full disclosure, I haven't fully tested the current theory, but it matches all evidence provided by players.

By the way, the wiki describes the rules wrong (as expected?).

Not sure the layout is really working as expected. Pips won't plant last waterseeds :-/ (take into account lines where some are planted, others are not done yet).

image.thumb.png.92cadb09baf2a769636f91272e231627.png

12 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Not sure the layout is really working as expected.

Wild Master Nakomaru has spoken:

3 consecutive plants, 4 empty slots until the next row with 3 more plants. You should make the pattern from right to left, top to bottom.

If you don't do that they will not plant it "optimally" and just do their thing through that confusing checkbox leaving many potential gaps unfilled.

An "easy way" to do the pattern is to cover plantable slots until the exact moment you need a Pip to plant there. Otherwise you have to keep uprooting everything out of the pattern and roll the dice expecting the pip will do exactly what you want next time (never is the case haha).

Ps.: that pattern of U farms for waterweed will not achieve the most optimal placement because Pips will find at least 2 wild plants in their range very often. 

Just now, Junksteel said:

Wild Master Nakomaru has spoken:

3 consecutive plants, 4 empty slots until the next row with 3 more plants. You should make the pattern from right to left, top to bottom.

If you don't do that they will not plant it "optimally" and just do their thing through that confusing checkbox leaving many potential gaps unfilled.

An "easy way" to do the pattern is to cover plantable slots until the exact moment you need a Pip to plant there. Otherwise you have to keep uprooting everything out of the pattern and roll the dice expecting the pip will do exactly what you want (never is the case haha).

I know this pattern, but earlier I asked him about another pattern on the wiki, and as far as I get it, I understand from that this one should work. That's what I'm talking to him.

Just now, OxCD said:

I know this pattern, but earlier I asked him about another pattern on the wiki, and as far as I get it, I understand from that this one should work. That's what I'm talking to him.

It's all about the messed up checkbox (really hard for me to imagine, I needed a draw to fully understand it).

You can see, for every planted weed you already got, there are no spots with at least 4 empty tiles horizontally nearby. Also, the empty second layer should have at least 1 more vertical tile gap from the top layer AFAIU.

@nakomaru whelp!

Archived