Scrumch    279
3 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Yo okay I've been having a lot of thoughts about this word. What does it mean to be "official art"? Where is the threshold of officiality? Is the mere fact that it was drawn by a HOLY DEVELOPER give it the SACRED STATUS of OFFICIAL? 

This is just ~my opinion~ and therefore is quite uninformed, but I think that game developers should be allowed to create "unofficial" content related to their game. Maybe it can be made official later, as was the case with the Sal animation--a dev goofing off and then it gets added to one of the update posters. I feel this is particularly important when a game is still in development; take, for example, this ancient drawing of Telvin, now known as Nadan. Not so official now, is it! Aaron was just doing a bunch of extracurricular Griftlands stuff in his free time for Inktober.

Additionally, here is a drawing he straight up calls fanart: https://thunderdummies.tumblr.com/post/161839480324/some-fan-art-for-my-game-griftlands-aaron  Should it be necessary to call every single extra drawing posted on social media "fanart" for it to be regarded as such?

Maybe I'm just disturbed by this as an artist who likes to deliberately make stupid non-canonical drawings of all sorts of things. The thought that every drawing one makes is given this extra weight of - o f f i c i a l - just because you happen to also work on the project creeps me out.

Hope this doesn't come across as accusatory. If anything, that is indeed an "official chibi Sal". I'll go back to crying over Stephen's grave now. Is Stephen officially named Stephen? heck 

Funnily enough, Valve did in fact hire an artist who previously drew a lot of TF2 HeavyxMedic stuff - but I don't think her place in the company suddenly made those images canon. A few of the Klei artists have made doodles and non-canon stuff on live streams so personally, calling everything Griftlands related that's produced by the Devs 'canon' doesn't make sense. 

They are very good style guides though! 

Edited by Scrumch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wumpus the 19th    1196

The link to telvin looked rather nice. It seems characters like hebbel and the boggers were always going to be a part of the game, whatever form it took. Also the bog cultivator had fire power which I am not averse to seeing in game as a new bogger class.

• Like 2

ResettePlayer    6196
Spoiler

Just now, WildmanOfBorneo said:

Honestly I really feel like this is the best patch I've made yet, including even the not Griftlands stuff I make. image0.jpg?width=895&height=671

This is pretty incredible, really creative and skillfully made. You should be proud!

• Like 1