Communal Fanart Thread

1 hour ago, Sei Bellissima said:

All these arts are excellent as always :love-struck:

Also, update on Babylands, I got them finished!!

Babylands.thumb.png.d864f9895fc20aaf9af7fa0d9f34d375.png

I gotta say it's rare for me to finish and color concepts like this so I think I gotta give credit to @veryrussiancorn for the inspiration (And also my little brother, who inspired baby Rook's appearance lol)

I SAID THIS BEFORE AND I'M GONNA SAY THIS AGAIN. YES. YE S YES YES I'M LOVING THIS. i need to thank you for the inspiration too because those concepts are amazing and you did a great job on them!! thank you so much for this. i love you. 

Once upon a time in a Discord server...

Spoiler

image.png.88ffd12012e1ee25db4763aedb76db2f.png
image.thumb.png.2c26c0c295c7aae3dedc2d3528ed53c4.png  image.png.fe9dbe921cbf8d639de4eb9cad6e239f.png

gaston_and_belle.jpg

smith_and_moreef.thumb.png.b68303127b1f627d45dd766a5923863e.png

Look, I don't know anything about anything, but if their interactions are like that on Day 1, this is gonna be Day 3. Heck, even Day 2 if the campaign is going to be as face paced as it appears.

Also may have seen a WIP, keep your eyed peeled for more of that Smith and Moreef content, folks. And feel free to make your own, heh heh.

i recently finished this Griftlands OC design for a person i know. his whole thing is that he's a detective, and his organic part is the good cop while the robot part is the bad cop. he also has a russian roulette revolver, and each turn up to 6 has a chance to boost card effects (quoting the person who made the original concept). it was a blast to draw, even though it took me a lot of time, and i think it turned out great. hope you all like it too.

jarackle_detective.png

It's Monday morning! Despair and pain!

Spoiler

This napkin abuse was strangely popular, but I was far from satisfied.

IMG_20200918_0002.thumb.png.483f50f60134d9920ce676214cc70627.png

morning_routine.thumb.jpg.37dfdae3c048849c366d5696ae8ccb01.jpg

Yes yes this is a very archaic bathroom, please do not point that out.

Now you all surely know I like talkin' 'bout subtext and heeeyyyyy here we have a fella who's always hidin' stuff, to the point where it harms him quite literally. Could the parasites represent a specific type of baggage? If you consider the card flavour text and illustrations, you can sort of get an additional layer of narrative: the transformation into a literal monster. Turning into this monster requires some deliberate action on your part, but on the flip side, treating it is like cutting a piece of yourself out with lasting damage. So what are the parasites? In this essay I will--

Hey you know, ever since Rook was originally implemented, I've been thinking of the traumas usually sustained by war veterans. It's baaarely touched upon in his campaign, only in his first introductory slide. He could no longer handle the soldier's life so he left the Admiralty. In contrast to Sal's campaign where the derricks and their influence on her comes up again and again and are the core of her entire quest, Rook's Admiralty past is usually brought up by other people. Especially by Fellemo--I don't even need to say that. Fellemo revels in what Rook chose to leave behind, and, perhaps, this is where the parasites come in. Shortly after reuniting with his "old war buddy" whom he has only made contact with due to necessity, Rook proceeds to get all shucked up internally. Whether he chooses to embrace this monster and twist this awful thing to his advantage is up in the air.

...this is more abstract than what GL usually goes for. hue hue Griftlands video essays 2021 hue hue

10 hours ago, minespatch said:

official

Yo okay I've been having a lot of thoughts about this word. What does it mean to be "official art"? Where is the threshold of officiality? Is the mere fact that it was drawn by a HOLY DEVELOPER give it the SACRED STATUS of OFFICIAL? 

This is just ~my opinion~ and therefore is quite uninformed, but I think that game developers should be allowed to create "unofficial" content related to their game. Maybe it can be made official later, as was the case with the Sal animation--a dev goofing off and then it gets added to one of the update posters. I feel this is particularly important when a game is still in development; take, for example, this ancient drawing of Telvin, now known as Nadan. Not so official now, is it! Aaron was just doing a bunch of extracurricular Griftlands stuff in his free time for Inktober.

Additionally, here is a drawing he straight up calls fanart: https://thunderdummies.tumblr.com/post/161839480324/some-fan-art-for-my-game-griftlands-aaron  Should it be necessary to call every single extra drawing posted on social media "fanart" for it to be regarded as such?

Maybe I'm just disturbed by this as an artist who likes to deliberately make stupid non-canonical drawings of all sorts of things. The thought that every drawing one makes is given this extra weight of - o f f i c i a l - just because you happen to also work on the project creeps me out.

Hope this doesn't come across as accusatory. If anything, that is indeed an "official chibi Sal". I'll go back to crying over Stephen's grave now. Is Stephen officially named Stephen? heck 

Archived