Wild plants?

wild plant:  are plants that grow in natural tiles

to plant a seed in natural tiles you need to use a critter called pip. there are limitations to it's planting behaviour but  for those reservoirs it's no problem unless other plants are nearby.

so untouched plants do fall under the definition but aren't all of them

Sleet wheat and gas grass cannot be planted by pips. Apparently they hate rhymes. Or I haven't found the magic tile type yet.

Roughly speaking, pips can plant things in types of matter found in their naturally occurring biomes, per a recent patch.

A tile is eligible for planting when the total plants surrounding it is two or less, in a 5 radius zone (6 to the left) centered at the tile. The location of the plant for this is the root of the plant (one tile below or above the planted tile).

I think our data-miner said that Pips would now plant in anything with a max hardness of 150 and that the other restrictions are basically missing in the code. I am unable to find that posting at the moment.

15 hours ago, nakomaru said:

A tile is eligible for planting when the total plants surrounding it is two or less, in a 13x11 zone centered at the tile. The location of the plant for this is the root of the plant (one tile below or above the planted tile).

I guess I'm having trouble to understand their pattern. Any thoughts on why the locked pip is not planting in the remaining slots?

I thought PPP SSSS PPP SSSS was the key, but Pip refuses to fill all the P's!!! :(

image.thumb.png.9229abf89898227b5fa717545aa51470.png

Draw a 13x11 12x11 block (6 towards the left and 5 in other directions) around each of the two remaining middle tiles. Add up the plant roots in range.

They each count 3 plants. Ineligible.

Remove the right plants. Plant the middle two, then plant the right two. All left to right in order.

The far right should be eligible unless there is some buried plant on the right or something. Or it can't plant in aluminum.

I'm messing around with wild farming for some hours now and it's a pretty interesting mechanic although a bit underwelming at the moment. Managing Pips to do what is desired is a pain but doable. The biggest problem I see is the range of eligible spots for farming after having a finished layer. Apparently, it's not possible to have other layers of wild plants directly above or underneath the first one. Even those wild balm lillys or pincha pepper outside the basic biome can be an obstacle to build a farm from the inside using all spots you have. If we take into account that not all tiles and temperature ranges in the map are candidates for all plants, it seems absurd trying to sustain the colony in a single resource through this path. It's like trying to complete a puzzle with missing parts using very poor tools to do each slow move. Mistakes are full of regret and not rarely are definitive (unless ofc someone bothers to melt stuff and cool that down to plant on that spot. Good luck with that!)

A good solution would be if the Pip checked wild plants of the same type for eligibility, not all types of wil plants. It would make farms more varied and the amount of micro management would still be insane. And this range could be after all be less penalyzing too. It almost feels wrong trying to explore the mechanic in survival as if the game had various manners to stop you from doing what you want.

If someone have prints or models of bases getting meaningful benefits from wild farming to share it would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, snoozer said:

It´s also possible to encourage pips planting in a 3-3-3 pattern. It needs to be done from right to left.

That's nuts. So it's actually a 12x11 rectangle, with 6 tiles to the left and 5 tiles to the right? Could it be any more confusing? Awesome find.

1 hour ago, Junksteel said:

The problem is if you try to do the same in the floor above or underneath this layer, considering you use 4-height floors.

Actually, if you go from top to bottom, you can plant every 5 tiles (i.e. 4 tile rooms and 1 tile floors). For upside plants, you have to go from bottom to top. The check is from the TILE to the ROOT.

5 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

That's nuts. So it's actually a 12x11 rectangle, with 6 tiles to the left and 5 tiles to the right? Could it be any more confusing? Awesome find.

Actually, if you go from top to bottom, you can plant every 5 tiles (i.e. 4 tile rooms and 1 tile floors). For upside plants, you have to go from bottom to top.

What from top to bottom? From left to right? Haha

That's insane! OMG, got to restart it again!!

Ps.: It has being fun!

2 hours ago, nakomaru said:

That's not unlike the problem Pacu used to have, where they only checked for available living space to their right, and not at all to their left.  So you could have a huge tank, but if they swam all the way to the right side of it, even a single Pacu could be Overcrowded.

Hi all.

Is anyone know why this pip doesn't want to plant seeds on the left side ?

I've briar seed, arbor corn and mirth leaf on the floor at the bottom of my storage.

It was a pain in the a** to get those dirt tiles here, I really hope the pip's planting rule is not going to mess everything...

image.thumb.png.c25afef5c5ae8ff4cfa5a8ad4881af7a.png

4 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Hi all.

Is anyone know why this pip doesn't want to plant seeds on the left side ?

I've briar seed, arbor corn and mirth leaf on the floor at the bottom of my storage.

It was a pain in the a** to get those dirt tiles here, I really hope the pip's planting rule is not going to mess everything...

image.thumb.png.c25afef5c5ae8ff4cfa5a8ad4881af7a.png

Other wild plants in range out of the ss? Otherwise they should be planting. @nakomaru educated me how the pattern works and it was a pain to accept. It's 3 plants, 4 no plants slots, 3 plants and so on..... there is a tricky rectangle pips use to check that Nakomaru will explain better.

Archived