Deep story of Don't Starve Together is not experienced in game - Where's Charlie?

What I love about single player Don't Starve is the option of adventure mode. Your character interacts personally with the main antagonist, Maxwell, through every single challenging world until you finally meet him and complete the fulfilling story at the end. It's beyond me why an adventure mode equivalent was never implemented into Don't Starve Together. It would be so fun to play through small challenging trials with friends, and to face these challenges the antagonist, Charlie, puts forth for us until she is finally met at the end and we overcome the greatest challenge of all. I've been playing DST for a long time, and it confuses me that after all this time, you still cannot interact with the main antagonist outside of being hit at night. There's no way to 'win' in DST - there's no storyline path to take like adventure mode. Charlie has an AMAZING animated short in 'A New Reign,' and she is a very interesting character, but if you just played the game casually and never watched the animated shorts, then you wouldn't even know she and her interesting character exists. The animation short was made way back in 2016, yet there's still severely limited interactions with Charlie. It's very bizarre to me and I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. I think Charlie needs to be more involved in the general atmosphere of the game.

It's simply not a good time for it.
The players "beat" Maxwell in the first game. Congrats. Nothing changed, because Maxwell isn't the real threat.

If we had an opportunity to "beat" Charlie. Nothing would change either.

The big bad is Them.

Charlie isn't taunting the players like Maxwell did, that's not who she is. She really isn't setup as an antagonist at all—other than say the night attacks. Most of the survivors aren't even aware she exists save for Wilson and Maxwell. She even deals the final blow against the Fuelweaver and the survivors get a fancy item due to it. Her exact allegiance and goal is still a mystery.

In short, she's not like Maxwell. She doesn't plant statues of herself everywhere and taunt the survivors for the heck of it. She isn't interested in all that. She has a plan and she's working to make it pan out. It's not seen in-game, because it's not seen. It's behind the scenes. 

It's fine for Charlie to be hidden from the characters, that's what she does. Though Wilson and Charlie did personally interact in 'A New Reign' short, so it wouldn't be unusual for her to show her true form at a crucial plot moment. My issue is not that the characters do not know of her existence, but that it's easy for the player playing the game to forget her existence. Dramatic irony begs to be used here. For such an interesting and powerful character in story, her presence in the actual game is surprisingly lacking. Beyond just subtly hinting at her presence, I ultimately want her to make a grand appearance. Much about her is a mystery because she has not been developed on in gameplay, and perhaps she never will be. I hope I'm wrong and she has some kind of interaction in the following months with the "Return of Them" update.

In single player Don't Starve, you can walk through the throne room and really feel you're at the crux of the plot as you dethrone the man who had been causing you hell throughout your adventure. You really feel you're playing directly with the story and solving the problem at the end of the day. Even though you discover it's a repeating cycle, it's a rewarding ending. The closest feeling you get to this in DST is when you fight the Ancient Fuelweaver, and you can read his creepy quotes tied to the lore, and you find the atrium gate that links worlds, but alas you are no closer to Charlie or Them when it's all said and done. Perhaps this post would be better posted when the 'Return of Them' is fully released, because who know's what kind of complications the lunar island could mean for the current state of the story and gameplay.

11 hours ago, Zeklo said:

She even deals the final blow against the Fuelweaver and the survivors get a fancy item due to it.

as somebody who's too dumb to understand the bajillion references the ancient fuelweaver hurls at people's faces, could you elaborate?

12 hours ago, Bird Up said:

Charlie has an AMAZING animated short in 'A New Reign,' and she is a very interesting character, but if you just played the game casually and never watched the animated shorts, then you wouldn't even know she and her interesting character exists. The animation short was made way back in 2016, yet there's still severely limited interactions with Charlie.

The animation is in the game. You can find it if you click around in the main menu. Most of Charlie's charm and mystery is because we don't know what is going on, or why. It makes the whole setting of the world more interesting. DST doesn't need any explicit narrative, in my opinion. That would spoil the enigmatic atmosphere.

38 minutes ago, Hell-met said:

as somebody who's too dumb to understand the bajillion references the ancient fuelweaver hurls at people's faces, could you elaborate?

When the fuelweaver is killed, it's strangled by thorns and a single rose is planted at the spot of it's death. It's obviously Charlie's doing.

I'd never say no to more story like things, both the gorge and forge has been sort of what you've expressed though; doing trials with friends. I guess it's just a bit of a shame something like it isn't integrated into the survival part akin to singleplayer storymode, that would indeed be rad to keep escaping maps with friends.

In any case

If there is something I hope on top of the lunar update that I think would be interesting... would be if players could engage a hardmode world from doing something on those islands. Evolve your map into various endgame stages once you've felt comfortable in the starter environment. Makes an old familiar map feel fresh again without leaving it completely.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

When the fuelweaver is killed, it's strangled by thorns and a single rose is planted at the spot of it's death. It's obviously Charlie's doing.

seems like it could mean a lot of different things to me.

1 hour ago, Hell-met said:

seems like it could mean a lot of different things to me.

It's one of the more clear-cut things. Roses are Charlie's main theme, and rose thorns end up killing the Fuelweaver and leaving only the Thurible and a Rose behind. As he is getting killed he has lines such as:

"Who are you?"
"Release me, shade!"
"You are not Them..."

Which apply to Charlie. Whereas he's been talking to the survivors for a while, he doesn't know who Charlie is.
Only that she is a "shade", and not "Them".

On 23/06/2019 at 1:51 PM, Bird Up said:

What I love about single player Don't Starve is the option of adventure mode. Your character interacts personally with the main antagonist, Maxwell, through every single challenging world until you finally meet him and complete the fulfilling story at the end. It's beyond me why an adventure mode equivalent was never implemented into Don't Starve Together. It would be so fun to play through small challenging trials with friends, and to face these challenges the antagonist, Charlie, puts forth for us until she is finally met at the end and we overcome the greatest challenge of all. I've been playing DST for a long time, and it confuses me that after all this time, you still cannot interact with the main antagonist outside of being hit at night. There's no way to 'win' in DST - there's no storyline path to take like adventure mode. Charlie has an AMAZING animated short in 'A New Reign,' and she is a very interesting character, but if you just played the game casually and never watched the animated shorts, then you wouldn't even know she and her interesting character exists. The animation short was made way back in 2016, yet there's still severely limited interactions with Charlie. It's very bizarre to me and I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. I think Charlie needs to be more involved in the general atmosphere of the game.

Charlie is lurking in the dark, you just can't see her. You can only see what she does to people in the dark if you manage to have night vision.

oh yeah and she's on the throne how does she manage to be on the throne and in the dark

Archived