Make domesticated beefalo swim?

After seeing the hounds swim, I had an idea that fully domesticated beefalo should be able to swim. It'd be a good incentive to tame a beefalo, and it'd be a good single passenger method of getting around the ocean. If they could swim perhaps they should take a 25-50% speed penalty so that you're not zooming through the ocean too easily.

Here's a picture I edited to give you the idea:

Beefalo.thumb.png.3c31ec9c53b27d6257a3acd8b011aa11.png

There's obvious issues like, when the beefalo bucks, you'll drown. But there could be easy workarounds for that. A tamed beefalo takes 13.33 minutes to buck anyways, they could just remove the buck feature on fully domesticated beefalos. Other than that, I think this could be cool.

Well... hounds have a reason to be able to swim, beefalo on the other hand are way too heavy, their hair might be not water resistant and perhaps the water is cold too. Also it makes more sense to transport beefalos on a boat in the water than a boat on a beefalo in the water. Perhaps a tamed beefalo in the water will take only 2.66 minutes to buck you? Because a shaved beefalo or a beefalo in heat will have its buck timer multiplied by 0.2.

Spoiler

And if you want to be able to move on land and water, just die ingame: As ghost you'll be able to move wherever you want to.

22 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Well... hounds have a reason to be able to swim, beefalo on the other hand are way too heavy, their hair might be not water resistant and perhaps the water is cold too. Also it makes more sense to transport beefalos on a boat in the water than a boat on a beefalo in the water. Perhaps a tamed beefalo in the water will take only 2.66 minutes to buck you? Because a shaved beefalo or a beefalo in heat will have its buck timer multiplied by 0.2.

Reveal hidden contents

And if you want to be able to move on land and water, just die ingame: As ghost you'll be able to move wherever you want to.

virtually nothing in this game is set to real world standards - the game is fantasy and magical on steroids. no dont starve creature is affected by temperature. And as I mentioned they could remove the bucking for domesticated beefalos, or come up with something else.

Just now, Bird Up said:

virtually nothing in this game is set to real world standards - the game is fantasy and magical on steroids. no dont starve creature is affected by temperature. And as I mentioned they could remove the bucking for domesticated beefalos, or come up with something else.

well i mean technically saladmanders are affected by heat.........

1 minute ago, Bird Up said:

I mean the temperature mechanic is something only the player has. no creature can overheat or freeze. eggs seem to be the outlier

So... where's the fantasy???

I mean: If creatures overheat or freeze in a non-fantasy world, why do we still have animals in Real Life? The reason why Beefalos don't freeze during winter is because they don't jump into the cold water. They also herd together to keep themself warm & safe.

Adult bulls may weigh between 500 and 1,000 kilograms (1,100 and 2,200 lb).

and average stray dog weights is between 22 and 30 kilos.

Beefalos are fooking heavy and they can't even swim ( dogs use atleast the sorta paddling with their paws technique but whatevers )

11 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Adult bulls may weigh between 500 and 1,000 kilograms (1,100 and 2,200 lb).

and average stray dog weights is between 22 and 30 kilos.

Beefalos are fooking heavy and they can't even swim ( dogs use atleast the sorta paddling with their paws technique but whatevers )

Why don't you think they can swim? Cows can swim. Being heavy is not something that stops a blue whale from swimming.

Maybe all of the water is actually really shallow, like only four or five feet deep. Just that the shadows drown any human or humanlike person not from that world when they touch it, since if the water is like the Shipwrecked water, shadows reach up and pull people under when they're in water after their boat breaks. So, Beefalo could just walk through it, since the water would only reach their shoulders maybe, and a rider would be safe on top. Just an idea.

Archived