Steam Alpha Testing!

JoeW

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we had some kind of compatibility problem with your particular setup. I have a couple of questions that will help us track down the issue and hopefully fix it:

a) what are your hardware specs?

b) have you played don't starve on chrome? If so, what was the performance like there?

c) is the game consistently slow, or is it more of a stop-and-go kind of slow?

d) if you press backspace while playing, what are the update and render timing numbers in the top right hand corner of the screen?

Thanks! Our goal is to make the game work well for as wide a range of people as possible. DS isn't a particularly taxing game (either CPU or GPU wise), so it's probably just something specific that we need to fix.

Kevin, I'm seeing the same thing in the Steam app but not in Chrome. Wilson running in molasses is a good analogy.

a) Toshiba Satellite C655, Intel i3-2310M, 4GB ram, 64-bit Windows 7

b) Yes, runs great!

c) Consistently slow in the playing area (menus and world creation were fine)

d) Update is between ~2 and 18 ms, Render is consistently 74-76ms.

Results seem to be independent of DS's graphic settings (window/fullscreen, resolution). Running it at the lowest resolution (smart phone perhaps?) has some issues, particularly text which doesn't scale. Debug mode output is completely illegible at 300x200 or so.

Thanks!

Dan

• Developer

@501105 -- we released the Steam Alpha on Friday and immediately contacted Humble Store, but haven't heard back from them just yet. We'll poke them again tomorrow! Unfortunately it's not something we have direct control over.