Steam Alpha Testing!

JoeW

Hey Everybody,

We are ready to begin testing out the Steam version of Don't Starve!

Keep in mind a few things. This is a brand new version, we expect things to crash. You get to help us figure out what those crashes are, and how we can fix them. YAY!

Hopefully, we won't see anything explode, but that's the fun part right?

Just head into Don't Starve via chrome, choose options and click product keys. You will see a box that will either tell you to grab the key from humble store or it will give you your chrome key, which you can use to claim the steam key.

If you purchased through the Humble Store, just head to your unique Humble Store URL and your codes will be there for you to use!

Let us know how it goes!

How do I go about playing this game on steam? Is it that I can now play without browser anymore? I haven't use Steam before, so just asking it..

Bottom left of Steam, there's "+ ADD A GAME...". Click it and "Activate a product of Steam", then put in the Product code given to you in options of the browser version.

Loving the game. Stylish, original, can't stop playing. However is anyone else experience really slow game play with the steam client? Like Wilson running through syrup slow? Running it on a laptop that I play Diablo 3 on with no worries. Just wondering. Thanks.

Well, after installing steam and activating Don't Starve in the steam, when I clicked play, the game would just freeze there. It wouldn't load at all. Any help?

Happened to me the first time I tried to play. You'll need to end process it and try to play it again.

You may also crash if it's your first time adjusting the options.

I haven't checked yet, but is there steam cloud support? Like, will save files follow you around and stuff? I tried playing Don't Starve on my laptop at school for a little bit today and was saddened to not have my save data there. I didn't really think I would, but I figured maybe there was some sort of steam cloud equivalent in the chrome apps.

• Developer
Loving the game. Stylish, original, can't stop playing. However is anyone else experience really slow game play with the steam client? Like Wilson running through syrup slow? Running it on a laptop that I play Diablo 3 on with no worries. Just wondering. Thanks.

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we had some kind of compatibility problem with your particular setup. I have a couple of questions that will help us track down the issue and hopefully fix it:

a) what are your hardware specs?

b) have you played don't starve on chrome? If so, what was the performance like there?

c) is the game consistently slow, or is it more of a stop-and-go kind of slow?

d) if you press backspace while playing, what are the update and render timing numbers in the top right hand corner of the screen?

Thanks! Our goal is to make the game work well for as wide a range of people as possible. DS isn't a particularly taxing game (either CPU or GPU wise), so it's probably just something specific that we need to fix.

• Developer
Well, after installing steam and activating Don't Starve in the steam, when I clicked play, the game would just freeze there. It wouldn't load at all. Any help?

If you were playing early this afternoon, the version on Steam was kinda broken. Does this still happen with the current build?

• Developer
I haven't checked yet, but is there steam cloud support? Like, will save files follow you around and stuff? I tried playing Don't Starve on my laptop at school for a little bit today and was saddened to not have my save data there. I didn't really think I would, but I figured maybe there was some sort of steam cloud equivalent in the chrome apps.

It does support steam cloud. We'd love to have something similar on chrome, but we're going to have to build it ourselves if we add it. Someone mentioned on the forums that it might be possible to use google docs. We'll probably look into that at some point.