Jump to content

If the players can creates skins


Recommended Posts

Hi, I do not have DST, but it seems to me that it is not possible for the player to create his "own" skins in the game (if it is the case I would delete this subject).  So I had an idea, it would be interesting for the player to make his own skins, for example that he can make a knight's skin with the color of his choice, or wizard's dress.  The player could also "sell" the skins, it seems to me that there are reels in the game, they would act as currency.  What do you think ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently skins are beyond the community to edit or create. The idea of the community creating skins and selling them could work, but they would need to pass through klei to make them into the skin system. Other games already hve this concept (I think TF2 has something like this) Perhaps they would go through a selection process by the community before they are implemented by the game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Philsam said:

Hi, I do not have DST, but it seems to me that it is not possible for the player to create his "own" skins in the game (if it is the case I would delete this subject).  So I had an idea, it would be interesting for the player to make his own skins, for example that he can make a knight's skin with the color of his choice, or wizard's dress.  The player could also "sell" the skins, it seems to me that there are reels in the game, they would act as currency.  What do you think ?

Perhaps they might do a competition where players submit their skin ideas and Klei publishes the best submissions, but allowing the players to sell their skins by their own is a bad idea because the skins are one of Klei's source of income. Right now Klei focuses on selling their skins directly because allowing players to trade skins in the steam market is not as effective, Klei only gets ~10% of the trading value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Currently skins are beyond the community to edit or create. The idea of the community creating skins and selling them could work, but they would need to pass through klei to make them into the skin system. Other games already hve this concept (I think TF2 has something like this) Perhaps they would go through a selection process by the community before they are implemented by the game?

 

16 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Perhaps they might do a competition where players submit their skin ideas and Klei publishes the best submissions, but allowing the players to sell their skins by their own is a bad idea because the skins are one of Klei's source of income. Right now Klei focuses on selling their skins directly because allowing players to trade skins in the steam market is not as effective, Klei only gets ~10% of the trading value.

I agree with your ideas, I think it's really true, Klei would not be winner in this case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No thanks.

Community-accepted items eventually create drama. The best modders team up in closed circles and create a monopoly to produce revenue and shares. Developers also have no choice but to accept the best-looking/rated items which is made by said circles. Developers also eventually get tired of bloating the game with endless content and droughts will happen and leave people to wonder why nothing gets added anymore.

I've seen it first hand in TF2. It is not healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

I believe Warframe does something where you can make skins, and get a share of the profits on it.

Indeed Warframe does this. It's referred to as TennoGen. They are community created cosmetics for the game, voted on by the community and implemented by the Warframe Developers. Then the creator of the skin and the developers both take a cut of the profits. These items are ONLY purchasable with IRL money though.

So to apply this theory to Klei then we wouldn't be able to spool these NOR get them as daily/in game drops. Wanted to point that out before people would jump that bandwagon. These would be strictly Pay-to-have skins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DS/T is one of the very few games I play in large part because of the unity and sophistication of its graphic design. Most games are hideous, stupid or tacky because they cater to mass taste. I really don’t want to see Klei’s artistic vision watered down with crowd pleasing junk. The same way that I don’t want to go to a Scorsese film that has one scene in it crowd-sourced by fans and the creator made to include it whether they like it or not. People can mod DS/T to their hearts content, making it as ugly and fan-servicey as they want. Isn’t that enough?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ressayez said:

I don’t think they should make a habit of it, but one contest wouldn’t hurt.

I couldn't agree more. As it stands, Klei has a LOT on their plate for 2019, but in the distant future I would definitely like to see a contest or two to design skins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd advise staying the heck away from sharing monetary gains because of disputes and possible legal issues.

That said though...
Steam actually has a 'curated mods' system in place already. Basically, players submit mods in a separate section from the public mods, and the content can be voted on by the community if they want the developers attention to be drawn to a certain item; the final say of what makes it into the game is up to the devs, of course.

A Hat In Time has made pretty neat use of this with Dyes (basically skins for that game's character), camera filters, and some other content that ended up being included in batches that were delivered as main game content with each of the DLCs.

...knowing the kind of stuff I can pull off when I have more than an ounce of energy/motivation, and knowing that there are other people like me who can actually duplicate Klei's style, I think that this is a good idea for consideration. The Workshop might have a lot of out-there content, but there's also a fair bit that would be a perfect fit for vanilla; imagine if the same people who made those items designed things with inclusion in the base game in mind.

 

As for community division based on Klei decisions...yea, uh, that's already a regular thing. I'm having trouble thinking of any DST update that didn't stir controversy for one reason or another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...