[Game Update] - 328827

2 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

10% faster movement speed and a normal sized inventory wouldn't be unbalanced if it went with a con such as all equippables being categorized into different weights which apply no speed penalty, 10% speed penalty, 15% speed penalty, and 20% speed penalty when worn by Wheeler, such as log armor reducing speed by 15%, marble armor reducing it by an additional 20%, ect.

Of course that's just my opinion.

You mean movement speed coming at a cost?

Heresy.

On a side note, the logistics of that suggestion aren't really that difficult, and incentivizing a character to not want to wear armor during a fight/in general could be an interesting idea.

Like, completely rely on kiting and dodging attacks or you're DEAD.

Edited by Ogrecakes
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

...except that's not anecdotal. I'd find the Joe quotes for ya but I'm too lazy to.

Hide contents

image.png.34dddcc7cdb936f1975ca5ff51a9d6be.png

Oh sorry, thanks for the correction because I actually made a confusion with the french word "anecdotique" which means "not really important".

I am a bit ashamed, but also less stupid with a wise downside/upside balance if I could say so.

However, with some verification, it seems anecdotal might have also this meaning. Bus as the Cambridge dictionnary doesn't mention it, hands down.

In order to not being totally outside the topic, I can agree on your point about the speed modifiers. But even without them, you can absolutely kite all the bosses from all the DLC apart the Quacken and maybe the Ancient Herald as I just blunderbuss its face from a safe distance. But I definitely kite without a single damage all the ROG bosses (Ancient Guardian included), without walking cane or any speed modifiers. Maybe just roads in fact or some. Same for Sealnado, Tiger Shark, Queen Womant mant warriors, Pugalisk.

I don't have opinion on the conversation however. Just, saying that speed modifier will allow to kite too easily the bosses and so is not suitable is a weird argument to me as this regard. Especially with the blunderbuss now.

Edited by Caochu

3 hours ago, HugoM said:

Wheeler now has 15 inventory slots and receives a 1% speed boost for each empty inventory space + a natural 10%

Why???? Having a smaller inventory was such a good perk! It was super fun to play with as a challenge character. It was a fair penalty for having a (practically free) infinite projectile...

Now, she not only has the normal inventory size, but she's been buffed to move faster with empty slots? A double buff? The first buff wasn't even wanted...

TLDR: The Old Wheeler (despite the bugs) was perfect to begin with...

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

I mean unless something was changed isn't WX-78 able to get easy lightning speed boosts in hamlet making him really fast? I've seen some videos which he literally moves like sonic which is hilarious! So, there's already some pretty unbalanced stuff..

To me it would make her feel like a character which requires actual skill to play (points finger at Wolfgang mains which chug dragonpie and tank everything while holding F, 10/10 skill) and with her dodge speed cooldown being lowered to 1.5 sec as I suggested I think it's a perfect balancing con, in my personal opinion.

WX-78 in Hamlet is a bit busted, but it still costs you some sanity to overload.

Plus, WX-78 and moisture don't mix well.

(I don't think any character is specifically balanced for Hamlet... especially Woodie).

Edited by Ogrecakes

1 minute ago, KCDA said:

Why???? Having a smaller inventory was such a good perk! It was super fun to play with as a challenge character. It was a fair penalty for having a (practically free) infinite projectile...

Now, she not only has the normal inventory size, but she's been buffed to move faster with empty slots? A double buff? The first buff wasn't even wanted...

TLDR: The Old Wheeler (despite the bugs) was perfect to begin with...

I agree with keeping the smaller inventory speed.. but I disagree she was good as she was in the first place.. they fixed her dodge precision and the reduced the cooldown.. those are great changes and needed indeed

what the devs diod was encourage you to travel as light as possible.. which is her character in the first place... it's in her portrait

you can decide now... speed or space... which is a fair trade and a new mechanic

3 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

WX-78 in Hamlet is a bit busted, but it still costs you some sanity to overload.

Plus, WX-78 and moisture don't mix well.

(I don't think any character is specifically balanced for Hamlet... especially Woodie).

i think that is pretty much a consensus that WX is bit broken in Hamlet... he is fun no doubt.. but.. i mean.. he can get overcharged on command

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I agree with keeping the smaller inventory speed.. but I disagree she was good as she was in the first place.. they fixed her dodge precision and the reduced the cooldown.. those are great changes and needed indeed

what the devs diod was encourage you to travel as light as possible.. which is her character in the first place... it's in her portrait

you can decide now... speed or space... which is a fair trade and a new mechanic

i think that is pretty much a consensus that WX is bit broken in Hamlet... he is fun no doubt.. but.. i mean.. he can get overcharged on command

I don't ever play WX, but I don't think he gets damaged by fog does he?

His one downside isn't played upon heavily enough, IMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

I don't ever play WX, but I don't think he gets damaged by fog does he?

He does. Also, its main downside is more his low stats without upgrades (as gears are really painful to have in mass in Hamlet during early game, especially when you don't know how). But I'm not defending the character, just giving my two cents.

Edited by Caochu

2 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

What do you mean? He still does it for me in the update.

image.thumb.png.46d5ec9a1e4d8f21600d1230748e8247.png

I've just edit that post to explain. I think it's a bug... when I created the world I had no effect at all and after relogging it came back again

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I've just edit that post to explain. I think it's a bug... when I created the world I had no effect at all and after relogging it came back again

It only appears when below 100% health.

His color fading is at any health, though.

I got him to static after hurting him on a new world.

7 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

It only appears when below 100% health.

His color fading is at any health, though.

I got him to static after hurting him on a new world.

yeap.. the flickering effect appears under 80-70% hp 

before he was flickering always tho.. if I remember correctly

Edited by FreyaMaluk

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Uhmm... I don't think it's a trade at all. You're basically asking if you'd like speed, or even more speed when playing this new Wheeler.

I still firmly believe she needs her less inventory space back. It's the one trade off Wheeler has for being such a good character, and it makes even more sense she should have it now with this base movement speed buff. I really wanted to play Wheeler after her buggy items got patched, but now I don't see the fun in it cause there's no downside forcing me to switch up my playstyle, which I really enjoyed about this character. And I don't get all the arguments about the "Backpack Meta" either. Backpacks help Wheeler, given that her one downside was inventory management.
Also about all these ideas for a new downside: Lower HP or less movement speed when holding things is not a good downside in my opinion. There's nothing to make you think of what to do instead of the norm, it's just a minor nuisance that can be brushed off and ignored.

Tl;dr I just don't like that her perk "Travels lighter than most." Is now a suggestion instead of a downside.

Edited by Chris1448
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chris1448 said:

Uhmm... I don't think it's a trade at all. You're basically asking if you'd like speed, or even more speed when playing this new Wheeler.

I still firmly believe she needs her less inventory space back. It's the one trade off Wheeler has for being such a good character. I really wanted to play Wheeler after her buggy items got patched, but now I don't see the fun in it cause there's no downside forcing me to switch up my playstyle, which I really enjoyed about this character. And I don't get all the arguments about the "Backpack Meta" either. Backpacks help Wheeler, given that her one downside was inventory management.
Also about all these ideas for a new downside: Lower HP or less movement speed when holding things is not a good downside in my opinion. There's nothing to make you think of what to do instead of the norm, it's just a minor nuisance that can be brushed off and ignored.

Tl;dr I just don't like that her perk "Travels lighter than most." Is now a suggestion instead of a downside.

hmmm.. i'm not against a smaller inventory nerf per se... actually... 

I think she needs lower health anyways... you know to make her more tactical with dodge + gun

that I said what I think the devs thought on the change...

Edited by FreyaMaluk

7 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

In my opinion less movement speed based on how heavy thing thing you're holding is would actually be an actual hardcore downside based on how severe the penalties can get. Basically, almost forcing players to focus on using her dodge, gun, and not get hit because most armors except for a few weightless armors e.g. grass armor, weevole armor, ect. would cripple her. It's definitely not a "minor nuisance" and also encourages the player to get better at kiting making her a character which requires a higher skill level to play effectively which I have to say is new for the DS franchise.

Reduced inventory space was just frustrating and increased tedium while playing as Wheeler in my opinion. I play Don't Starve to explore the world, kill dumb creatures, and build cool stuff, not to manage my inventory.

i find it scary how you said exactly what i was thinking

also articulated it better than i could imagine

• Like 1

Just now, Warbucks said:

I play Don't Starve to explore the world, kill dumb creatures, and build cool stuff, not to manage my inventory.

I suggest you never touch SW then, cause that's half of all you do in that DLC.

As for the rest of your post, that's fair. But imo touching the movement speed at all was kind of a bad move perk-wise, cause now it's unbalanced. You can rarely ever hit a happy medium when it comes to balancing movement speed: If your character is too fast, they're broken in the eyes of elitists. If your character is slower in any way, no one will use them. There's a reason items like the Piggyback and Marble Suit never see the light of day. Less speed is not a fun downside.

At least if they kept the inventory nerf it would've been justified that she could be more agile than others since she doesn't have so much stuff to weigh her down. Granted, they kept that mindset in mind with her moving faster with empty inventory spaces, but it's a buff on top of another buff. I liked the inventory nerf because it made you think about that resources were actually important to keep around and what could be left behind.

10 minutes ago, Chris1448 said:

I suggest you never touch SW then, cause that's half of all you do in that DLC.

that's totally uncalled for

the devs have fixed tons or errors and suggesting never to touch SW is just based on what really... yes it was a buggy process.. etc.. but it works fine now...

5 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

Funny thing is I've only played SW for 2-3 hours tops and for some reason it didn't click with me, now I know why :wilson_ecstatic:!

Well, yes, but when a 10 year old (Wendy) can hold more items than an adult woman it feels kind of wrong.. Though, in most of my experience all I would encounter is moments where I just have to drop items to pickup oincs, try to insert items into the navigadget and pew-matic to save space, pulling out my hair when having a full inventory in a dungeon trying to get relics.. For me it just took away from her whole "explorer" character because so much annoying situations just kept popping up which saddened me greatly because I am a sucker for games which you must input precise actions such as dodges to evade attacks and stuff so when I saw Klei added a character with a dodge action and a gun I felt like the character was made for me, but then the inventory management nation attacked... I am one of those people that has to think a lot about what I need in my inventory and that's with 15 inventory slots! So, managing Wheeler's 10 inventory slots was like deep frying my brain :wilson_dead:..

i am now convinced we are clones of one another

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

Though, in most of my experience all I would encounter is moments where I just have to drop items to pickup oincs, try to insert items into the navigadget and pew-matic to save space, pulling out my hair when having a full inventory in a dungeon trying to get relics.. For me it just took away from her whole "explorer" character because so much annoying situations just kept popping up which saddened me greatly because I am a sucker for games which you must input precise actions such as dodges to evade attacks and stuff so when I saw Klei added a character with a dodge action and a gun I felt like the character was made for me, but then the inventory management nation attacked... I am one of those people that has to think a lot about what I need in my inventory and that's with 15 inventory slots! So, managing Wheeler's 10 inventory slots was like deep frying my brain :wilson_dead:

I'm gonna risk getting the Backpack Meta goons on my case, but I recommend a backpack for collecting a lot of what you need, and leaving behind what you don't need at that very moment in your house or chest in base. That's how I got by playing Wheeler, at least.

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

that's totally uncalled for

Hold your horses, I'm not calling out SW as a bad DLC. I'm saying there's a ton of resources that fill up your inventory that cause some painful decisions on leaving behind that one treasure chest fully stocked with rare and useful goodies. If I hated SW would I be working on Island Adventures?

31 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

Reduced inventory space was just frustrating

which proves this was the real downside in the first place

1 minute ago, Chris1448 said:

If I hated SW would I be working on Island Adventures?

I'm part of the translation team :p

2 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I'm part of the translation team :p

I'm the PR guy, it'd look bad if I suddenly hated SW lmao. :p 

3 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

I forgot to mention that my brain was frying while wearing a backpack.. So, yeah... I'm a failure aren't I?

It's all trial and error, my friend. Adapting to a new playstyle doesn't happen automatically.

• Thanks 1

Well, I'm pretty sure being slowed down by equipment and having a higher chance of being killed in combat causing you to lose your world is a bigger downside than wasting 30 seconds to 1 minute thinking to yourself "I want this, NO I want this, DAMMIT KLEEEIIII!!!!!!"

well.. if you got difficulties managing inventory ... then learn to prioritize.. I believe is a cool downside to make you thinking  what's important

Besides, you can kill birds like no other... krampus sack ez life ...

only early game is gonna be a bit challenging... but u can always drop stuff on the floor in backpacks with stuff you are gonna need later.. move to basics and move on...

Edited by FreyaMaluk

6 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

Yeah, but the problem is deciding what item I want in my inventory essentially doing nothing for up to a minute is boring, in that time I could be exploring or burning down a pig town stuff Don't Starve is meant for! If I wanted to play a game about management I would be playing those management tycoon simulator games or Sid Meier's Civilization not Don't Starve.

What I expect from Don't Starve is a survival game and with the addition of Wheeler and her dodge ability it feels like Don't Starve combat can actually feel fun and unique instead of boring old kiting or tanking.

that's the challenge... . as I said just use backpacks gathering stuff and take essentials (gold, grass, twigs, pig skin, etc while exploring) other stuff, specially stuf that dont burns.. drop it in another backpack and move on.. you can later on come back and pick it up

DS was always about management... always.. just with less spaces it becomes much harder

her combat doesn't stop being fun or change just cuz u got less inventory... I don't get what's you logical link from that... to less inventory slots...

Edited by FreyaMaluk

6 hours ago, lbphero said:

uh, whats wheeler's downside now?

suggestion:

wheeler can travel faster now, she should consume more hunger than others,

each rush/dodge consume more hunger, so she wouldn't be totally invincible fighting boss monsters those have 3~5 attack speed period at no cost

Edited by gghhrr

Personally, I feel that would be too severe of a con because most people always have a full inventory and it's more of an annoying con instead of something you have to deal with or you can use skill to avoid. A con like that would force players to go to base every couple minutes empty a lot of their inventory which in my opinion would be even worse than having 5 less inventory slots :wilson_resigned:..

While being slowed down by equipment can be avoided by not using heavy (usually stronger higher-tier) equipment, or using it and relying completely on her dodge instead of kiting which everyone's used to. It also may allow moments which makes combat feel more intense and like you actually have to try your best fight for your life instead of feeling so safe like a Wolfgang behind a football helmet and log suit because there will be situations where you have to use weaker armors because you're just too slow to avoid an attack or you're being outnumbered by enemies, ect. essentially buffing useless items such as grass suits, ect.

tbh the height speed penalty is irrelevant down the line... both from heavy equipment or this

19 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Just make it now that wheeler gets slower the more stuff she caries.

At full imventory she'll move at 70% speed

single player has coffee

while inventory management with -5 inv slots is a REAL downside...

• Thanks 2