Researching a geyser

I never really did understand the point of researching a geyser.
I know that researching it does give the active dormant cycles.
However eh. If you know about what you'd get on average and play the game casually.
You play to not rely on geysers for everything.
They are there as a tiny little supplement to support a few extra dupes or feed your rockets or whatever the case.

More information should be hidden from the start.
Hey there's a geyser. Yup. That's all you should really know.
Research it to get the output g/s etc.

Cut the research down to half and you have to research it twice or 3 times to get all the information.
I have never had a dupe research a geyser in 1 cycle anyways. If he's going to take 2-3 cycles to get it done.
Break it down into chunks.

After completed the geyser has the little wind vain and 2 options.
The dupe takes the information back to the science center for further analysis. Takes him a few cycles to run the number and you get the full layout.
How much output during eruption.
How much in active period how much in a cycle, eruption/non erupting.
How much over the course of it's life cycle.

Option 2.
Keep researching the geyser another day-2 what the numbers are.
Better hope volcano isn't about to erupt. ;)

One nice thing about researching geysers is that you can see when and how long the dormant stage is.  This is useful to plan ahead for potential resource shortages.  Its also useful to know the best time to "Tame" a metal geyser or volcano.  

You can dig a single tile out to 'discover' the geyser/volcano without allowing it to erupt.  Then you can research at your leisure.  

However, I do agree: Once researched, you should be able to hook it up to automation with something like "Active when erupting" or something.  

32 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

One nice thing about researching geysers is that you can see when and how long the dormant stage is.  This is useful to plan ahead for potential resource shortages.  Its also useful to know the best time to "Tame" a metal geyser or volcano.  

You can dig a single tile out to 'discover' the geyser/volcano without allowing it to erupt.  Then you can research at your leisure.  

However, I do agree: Once researched, you should be able to hook it up to automation with something like "Active when erupting" or something.  

Point is 90% of the information is already there just by looking at it.
Nothing should be there other than it's type.
That's obvious by the shape color and the gas or liquid around it.

54 minutes ago, LTLking said:

Point is 90% of the information is already there just by looking at it.

Just looking at it while erupting will give you roughly the same info. Just watch how often it erupts and how much liquid/gas forms around it. It kinda makes sense dupes can figure it out right away since you can check how much stuff occupies each tile at any time. Hiding that seems like unnecessary complication. Another thing is that with most geysers youcan`t analyze them during the active period without risking scalding unless you got atmo suits set up around already.

The active/dormant period on the other hand can be only figured once it`s over so it makes sense they have to analyze the geyser to get that info faster. You can safely analyze a geyser when it`s dormant (i guess when it`s dormant it could not show the amount it emits unless analyzed).

Just now, Sasza22 said:

Just looking at it while erupting will give you roughly the same info. Just watch how often it erupts and how much liquid/gas forms around it. It kinda makes sense dupes can figure it out right away since you can check how much stuff occupies each tile at any time. Hiding that seems like unnecessary complication.

Then why have to hide any info behind research at all.
Why not all the information there all the time.
Why even bother researching it.

1 minute ago, LTLking said:

Then why have to hide any info behind research at all.

Lets say the dupes have a calculator that can tell them how much the geyser is emitting when they see one (like a tricoder or something). But they can`t determine the active period unless they send a probe down the geyser and measure the underground pressure powering it. That`s why they need to analyze them.

Gameplaywise hiding the emission hides something that is in plain sight and could be roughly calculated anyway. Hiding the active period hides something you can`t easily determine and it might be essential info when it comes to sustaining your base. Also gives something to do for the scientists as well a reason to get the level 2 scientist before space.

Just now, Sasza22 said:

Lets say the dupes have a calculator that can tell them how much the geyser is emitting when they see one (like a tricoder or something). But they can`t determine the active period unless they send a probe down

The asteroid comes with probes.

Researching the leaky oil fissure is even more pointless than the other geysers, as this one is always active. In my opinion researching should give some kind of booster or the ability to build something on top of the geyser that boost its efficency.

Seems like a relic of early development that doesn't really have a gameplay purpose at the moment.

Maybe give some other sort of research bonus for each researched geyser (or perhaps even a map reveal)? Then there will be some tradeoffs. Do I want to uncover this useless geyser and have to deal with it's emissions for whatever bonus I'm going to get?

On 4/14/2019 at 3:45 AM, KittenIsAGeek said:

Is this actually true?  I've tried this a couple of times and it has never worked, they refuse to actually analyze it.  I just figured you had to dig it all out.  

10 minutes ago, EnderCN said:

Is this actually true?  I've tried this a couple of times and it has never worked, they refuse to actually analyze it.  I just figured you had to dig it all out.  

You still need to dig out the whole geyser in order to analyze it.  But to discover what it is, you need only uncover a single tile that it occupies.  The bottom left is the safest approach, since all types of Volcano (3 tiles wide) and Geyser (4 tiles wide) occupy that tile.  Vents (2 tiles wide) will need an extra tile dug to reach the center 2 of the Neutronium base.

49 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

But to discover what it is, you need only uncover a single tile that it occupies.

Actually there is an easier way now. You don`t even need to dig anything close to it. Just set the priority of the geyser to !! This makes a yellow alert notification that mentions the type of the geyser.

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

You still need to dig out the whole geyser in order to analyze it.  But to discover what it is, you need only uncover a single tile that it occupies.  The bottom left is the safest approach, since all types of Volcano (3 tiles wide) and Geyser (4 tiles wide) occupy that tile.  Vents (2 tiles wide) will need an extra tile dug to reach the center 2 of the Neutronium base.

Ok, I knew this part.  I thought you were saying you could analyze it like this.  I kind of read that into your second sentence even though you didn't actually say it!

29 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Actually there is an easier way now. You don`t even need to dig anything close to it. Just set the priority of the geyser to !! This makes a yellow alert notification that mentions the type of the geyser.

Oof. Pesky omniscient alerts, absolutely no respect for spoilers. :wilson_ecstatic:

Obviously researching geysers should add automation output and the display from a certain mod. The automation output should be on top, making it safe from magma temperatures because melted wires are annoying.

Apart from that, I tend to use geyser research as training for my dupes. Remember researching geysers boosts a skills, which increase skill boosting speed.

3 hours ago, EnderCN said:

It got changed. You could dig out the left-most tile, the one above it, then the one immediately to the right and that would let you research without letting the volcano erupt. But now your dupe needs to stand in the center.

Archived