5 deaths and counting: How do you die? (spoilers)

So far I have died 5 times in this game. And I am currently on my sixth life. I have yet to live past eight days.

I am not asking how you guys how to survive here (honestly I wanna figure it all out myself) but I was wondering:

What kills you? What dangers do you face that end up murdering poor Wilson? Or are you above all that? Do you never die?

So far in my 5 deaths I have died from different things each time (you can see them all in detail in my field notes on the arts subforum), but there have only been two real causes of my death:

1: 4 of my deaths were because everytime I see something new my first instict is to hit it with something: Spiders Nest? HIT IT! Walking Tree? WHACK IT! Weird Tentacle? CHOP IT! Beehive? THUMP IT! I never seem to learn from this, but at least I haven't been killed by thumping the same thing twice. . .yet.

2: My other death was from eating spider meat for the first time when my health was low. I cooked it first. . .I thought it would be fine!

I died trying to deliberately harm myself for an experiment.

Then I died again trying to get my stuff back. I do that a lot

I died accidentally hitting a pig once. They ALL mobbed me.

I die from accidentally attacking things all the time...

That Deaths counter is an awesome idea! Nice one, Excess!

For me, I ALWAYS seem to die around the point where I've made myself a nice, self-sustaining camp and feel adventurous and like discovering more areas, then I make the silly mistake of aggro-ing spiders or I accidentally forget torch ingredients and get et by the grue (I assume that's what it is).

Walking trees, by the way, are the worst when they spawn when:

a) it's night-time and near your campfire,

b) you don't have a log-suit,

c) you don't have any reliable means to set that bugger on fire.

Nobody died by the Darkness? xD

1.) I wanted to know what my character's lines were in the Darkness, so I stood out from the safety of my camp. When I was hit the first time I tried to run back to camp, but when I was already dead when I got to the outer line of light :c

2.) I had this derpy map where everything was separated by islands connected by bridges. One had a ton of bunny grounds (My starting island), one was a plain with a single bee hive, one was all swamp, and the one after it was all the Beefaloos. In order to get to the Beeflaloos, I had to cross the swamps. I didn't have enough materials on the first island for a second rock camp, so either I had to use a regular camp on the plains (Which I really despised n_n), or I had to torch my way though the swamps. I chose the ladder.

In my first run though the swamps, I think I avoided all the tentacles, somehow, so I assumed that a clean run though the swamps on the path was okay.

TL;DR: I died by a single hit from a tentacle.

On my 3rd life, I'm being real careful and paranoid xD

Came to a close call when I didn't realize that Cooked Monster Meat took a chunk of your HP.

Trying to get my first Effigy.

Thus far I've managed to avoid dying all too often. I do restart occasionally, intentionally murdering myself for the xp. My three unintentional are as follows: Attacked a Spider Den in the swamp, accidentally retreated into a tentacle. Accidentally wandered into pig village without checking the time of the month. Accidentally attacked a Beefalo in the middle of the night, while trying to pick up his manure. All the nearby Beefalo proceeded to chase me into the darkness, where it hit me and reduced me to zero hp. I mentioned in a bug post that it didn't exactly kill me, but I count it as it should have.

1: I attacked a group of pig men and they killed me very quickly.

2: I tried to kill off a group of 6 ish spiders by hit and run, but got hit by 3-4 of them at once and died very quickly.

3: I saw some werepigs for the first time and they were fighting each other. Instead of leaving I watched and one of them saw me and started to chase. I ran until it got dark and he was still right behind me (swinging but missing when he caught up). I died trying to make a fire to pass the night running in circles around it.

4: Almost died when a tentacle popped up out of nowhere in the swamp and hit me hard. Scary stuff. Still alive day 22.

Just bought the game played 3 rounds and all deaths are a bit evil because i never knew this stuff would happen :D

My first death was from an ent (i gues i mean it was a huge ass walking tree) (survived 10 days)

My second death was cause i got a good camp with a pig town nearby and i was like ok lets farm some manure from the pigs supprise werepigs and the killed me (survived 9 days)

Third time i explored my world and tried willow so i got around crossed a swamp survived close and found a area with a lots of rocks so i made a fire and spend the night then on the next day i started farming the rocks and research the gold when i got attacked by a tallbird because i did not expected them to attack me :/ (4 days survived)

So now im on my 4 try after setting up a new world because my old one was just bad (only islands that are connected to one other island and most of them where full of evil stuff) lets hope i will survive longer then 10 days ;)

I am on try number six now. I died one time to a swamp monster tentacle while exploring without logsuit, while talking to my gf, my bad. I died one time to the darkness because I was browsing in this forum and forgot to pause the game, but lucky enough, I had a mea effigy on this death. The other times were suicide because I was at a point where I had not much to do anymore and wanted to unlock new characters.

my longest game was my first one where I killed myself on day 98.

I am on try number six now. I died one time to a swamp monster tentacle while exploring without logsuit, while talking to my gf, my bad. I died one time to the darkness because I was browsing in this forum and forgot to pause the game, but lucky enough, I had a mea effigy on this death. The other times were suicide because I was at a point where I had not much to do anymore and wanted to unlock new characters.

my longest game was my first one where I killed myself on day 98.

Your first ever life was 98 days loong?

Your first ever life was 98 days loong?

yeah, and if I had not comitted suicide, it would have gone forever, I had the whole map explored and my basecamp had 62 grassnodes, 32 saplings and 32 berry bushes as well as 2 crock pots and 6 super fast farm plots, right in conjuntion to a beefy herd. I got pretty boring after a while, so I thought "well, let's kill ourself befor day 100, so we can reach that goal another time".

edit: I did play the demo two times before that, though. never was killed within the demo duration aswell.

Bought the game tonight. My first death was on Day 2 when I poked a spider nest to see what would happen. Second death was on Day 13 when I was gathering lumber and angered an Ent, and instead of running away I stupidly tried to fight him, first with a spear and then with an axe. Neither seemed to bother him much.

I got into a random huge fight on day 27 a mature optimus pine,a spider nest and a tentacle.I somehow survived because everything just started attacking each other and well yeah.I got a free tentacle spike and tried testing it out.Sadly piggie was too much and i died in shame to a piggie.