What's your prefered base location?

So we've all been playing Hamlet for a while now. And most of us had specific places in RoG and SW where we liked to make camp. What sweet spots have you found in Hamlet so far?

Myself I prefer to make camp just outside of the pig village on the starting island and then build a shanty in it once I get the key to the city.

I usually build my base to the herald island. I completely take down the first pig town and move it to the herald island with the hammer and the key.

Its really good to base there since there are all of the biomes and entrance to the aporkalypse clock. Only downside is that there arent any spidermonkeys or the robots to get iron renewably

My strat is that i almost every time rush the bird whistle and get to the roc island to get the staff. Then i head to the ruins to get the jeweled truffle and instantly start moving the pig town to the herald island. I also build an area which is full of guard towers to get rid of bat attacks. :) after doing that i just start slowly building my own city and I dont have to worry about the aporkalypse since i can easily check the clock :D

I haven't gotten far from my shanty yet cause I'm still waiting for a lesser bugged update of Hamlet..

however if I did ever want to make a Megabase, I'm considering getting Key to the City and making it on the ROC island (Bird Whistle allows a very quick manoeuvring) and thus being safe from all annoying things.

also Light bulbs have a chance of occurring in the ROC island cave so that counts as another reason.

1 hour ago, Cookiemies said:

Only downside is that there arent any spidermonkeys or the robots to get iron renewably

Since you can trade 1x Nightmare Fuel for ~2x Purple Gem on your island: Wouldn't it be possible to move Iron Hulks & Spider Monkeys (Gorillas) via Telelocator right into your island?

Having a Telelocator Focus would also allow you to Telelocate yourself to your base whenever you want to.

51 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Since you can trade 1x Nightmare Fuel for ~2x Purple Gem on your island: Wouldn't it be possible to move Iron Hulks & Spider Monkeys (Gorillas) via Telelocator right into your island?

Having a Telelocator Focus would also allow you to Telelocate yourself to your base whenever you want to.

the Nightmare Fuel and Purple Gem exploit from using End's Well found inside the same ruins as Aporkalypse Calendar can also allow you to do the same...

tho the End's Well literally makes your game super easy since you can farm Nightmare Fuel without getting insane and convert the Nightmare Fuel to Purple Gems thru the "well" as well, use or sell said gems for oincs and thus profit...

1 minute ago, MWY said:

the Nightmare Fuel and Purple Gem exploit from using End's Well found inside the same ruins as Aporkalypse Calendar can also allow you to do the same...

That's just what I meant. I don't know any trader ingame who sells 2x Purple Gem for an object with a value of only 5x oincs besides End's Well.

I’m basically the same as Cookiemies. I put my base and a village of pig shops near the water on Herald Island. The water is great because if you stay near it, frogs constantly fight mosquitos, and unlimited sacs can be sold in the Odditities shop, which is much better than berry pigs. You can also sell lotus to him. I also kill a lot of frogs for eggs and small jerky, so I don’t often need to buy food. If you are careful not to kill both hippos in a mated pair, they will always be there when you need a hambat. Last but not least, when BFB spawns and I don’t need a ride to the first island, I can just hop in my boat and he goes away. I am close to the clock and the Ends Well.

The first year or so getting set up is a challenge, but it’s great once you are. After a certain point you don’t need iron, and you can make a run to the main island for silk now and then. 

As of now I've been playing as Webber so i had no reason to leave on the 1st Island. I did everything asap and b4 lush season build shanty and all shops on the herald Island. That's my base now. 

Living on the herald Island is pretty normal although no ruins and cave clefts make life a bit... harder? I guess

Also I feel weird as I'm basically cutting mysalef away from content (mants, pikos, elder mandrakes, spiderillas)

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

That's just what I meant. I don't know any trader ingame who sells 2x Purple Gem for an object with a value of only 5x oincs besides End's Well.

sorry I didn't understand that completely,

basically, you throw in twigs/ grass and any other non valuable item inside the well and the well will spawn a Nightmare,

kill the Nightmare you will get either 1 or 2 Nightmare fuel,

throw 1 nightmare fuel inside the well and it will throw back out a single purple gem or 3 purple gem.

there is no limit so you can continuously throw stuff inside the well and keep getting stuff  out

The Banker pig trades Purple gems and each gem for 10 oincs without any limit,

so its a LOT of profit.

I build my base on Roc's Island. I clear it out, strip up all the turf, steal turf from the first pig village and steal resources from it as well. Then I lay down the roads and ground work and slowly build an entire city on Roc's island incorporating my base and bat defenses into the layout and then I work on transporting all the resources I need (like grass, twigs and wood) to the island and make a sustainable base for myself in the heart of the city I named "Rocsberry." It's an ongoing project but it's first incarnation was almost finished when the Aporkalypse update dropped so I had to start again. I've made decent headway. 

I base near a nettle farming spot. Preferably find a cave or ruin close to one, and then once I get Key I build a shanty right next to the cave/ruin and use that mostly instead.

I use the first island since it's got most of the useful shops already. Although once I hammer down palace town to build a bunch of my own buildings in base, it's not a big deal... but it's pretty convenient for a long time.

I build a city on roc island.And since the cave on the island opens to 1st island I don’t need to travel so far for resources but I’m trying to make the island as sustainable as possible. I planted some threes and brought stacks of grass and saplings. As for food I just buy it. Berries and taxes get it covered. And the best side of having a base on Roc island is wherever you are you can turn to your base with using bird wishle. 

One down side is when roc comes naturally and if you are at base since the island is small and condensed you have to go through the cave and get to another island otherwise Roc will smash your poor base. 

I prefer to base on the farmland at the edge of town closest to the jungle and/or water. I get the Key to the City and build my own little base out there, a decent distance from the starting town, and dig up roads and just lay a road straight from my base to the city. I don't want to live IN the city proper; I want to have all the space I could ever need without having to demolish **** and **** with the guards.

I'll often arrange the shops to the side of town closest to me though, and build lots of guard towers in a corner of the farmland, to deal with bats.

9 hours ago, MasteroftheTDS said:

I build my base on Roc's Island. I clear it out, strip up all the turf, steal turf from the first pig village and steal resources from it as well. Then I lay down the roads and ground work and slowly build an entire city on Roc's island incorporating my base and bat defenses into the layout and then I work on transporting all the resources I need (like grass, twigs and wood) to the island and make a sustainable base for myself in the heart of the city I named "Rocsberry." It's an ongoing project but it's first incarnation was almost finished when the Aporkalypse update dropped so I had to start again. I've made decent headway. 

I’d love to see a screenshot of this!

2 hours ago, ucw said:

Is the Roc's nest always there no matter what?  Or can you build over it and it no longer exists?  

It's always there, you can remove most parts of the nest but I like to keep the small house and the twisted lamp post as decoration. You can indeed build over it except for the dead center of the nest which is where Roc drops you off when she picks you up. 

I recently made a pig town next to my nettles near the center of the first island. A way to make travel a little less annoying since i'm mostly in the center of everything.

Looking back, however, i think killing the pig queen and taking over the palace as my own might be an ideal spot. 3 rooms instead of 3 shanties, shelf space, near town (with some 'renovations'), plus you get to feel like a monarch! The only trouble i see is maybe less access to all islands. 

Archived