Quick tip to stop the Rabid Beetle infestations

I had an epiphany today, and hear me out...pick their Jungle Flowers so the Glowflies can't spawn and evolve in the first place.

Chances are that the Roc cave has a Light Bulb room. You need to rush a Bird Whistle to check. If it doesn't have one, reset your world, as this is the only way you can get Light Bulbs if you destroy their spawn point.

Get over the old meta of not picking flowers. Glowflies rarely drop Light Bulbs by death alone. Get enough for a lantern with a Net, use the rest for abundant Fireflies, and don't let your old habits punish you.

3 hours ago, Thieverpedia said:

I had an epiphany today, and hear me out...pick their Jungle Flowers so the Glowflies can't spawn and evolve in the first place.

Chances are that the Roc cave has a Light Bulb room. You need to rush a Bird Whistle to check. If it doesn't have one, reset your world, as this is the only way you can get Light Bulbs if you destroy their spawn point.

Get over the old meta of not picking flowers. Glowflies rarely drop Light Bulbs by death alone. Get enough for a lantern with a Net, use the rest for abundant Fireflies, and don't let your old habits punish you.

You can catch rabid beetle with a grass trap. You can save your silk by using trap.  Kill it and it will give 100% lightblub or you can also store it in a chest to keep the lightblub fresh. 

2 hours ago, Codina said:

You can catch rabid beetle with a grass trap. You can save your silk by using trap.  Kill it and it will give 100% lightblub or you can also store it in a chest to keep the lightblub fresh. 

All we need now is to make 40 traps and store it in our inventory....

9 hours ago, Thieverpedia said:

yeah great idea, buuuut glowflies cheat and just spawn their cocoons everywhere at least I'm assuming since glow flies only spawn if you're on screen, and I have had rabid beetles spawn on islands I have never visited so as far as I'm sure this wouldn't work sadly just use bug b gone its really satisfying too 

See I've tried both picking all the flowers and using traps. Each time I still get my butt spanked when I go to a different island. It's like no matter what I do when I go back to a different island they're just waiting to bite my buns.

I totally forgot about bug spray though and feel really dumb about it now. 

11 hours ago, Blonde0chaos said:

See I've tried both picking all the flowers and using traps. Each time I still get my butt spanked when I go to a different island. It's like no matter what I do when I go back to a different island they're just waiting to bite my buns.

I totally forgot about bug spray though and feel really dumb about it now. 

I ASSUMED that because they can hatch/exist in the poisonous forest that the bug spray wouldn't work... but it does :o  you can even use it in the poison forest, lol

Flowers and Rabid Beetles aren't actually related, it's the leafy stalks that spawn the cocoons. Every year each stalk has a 40% chance to spawn 6-10 cocoons. Since there's no way to get rid of leafy stalks, there's no way to stop Rabid Beetles from spawning.

40 minutes ago, Field Field said:

Flowers and Rabid Beetles aren't actually related, it's the leafy stalks that spawn the cocoons. Every year each stalk has a 40% chance to spawn 6-10 cocoons. Since there's no way to get rid of leafy stalks, there's no way to stop Rabid Beetles from spawning.

What exactly do you mean by this? Glowflies are what morph into the Beetles, do you mean they just spawn more cocoons or more Glowflies?

1 hour ago, Field Field said:

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I saw a glowfly morph into a cocoon, and in the humid season, one exotic flower spawns like, 7 glowflies

Glowflies can morph into cocoons, but that only happens if the player is close to them. No matter where you are on the map, leafy stalks will spawn cocoons around them.

If cocoon spawning was entirely dependent on flowers and glowflies, then you would only get cocoons in areas that you're actively nearby at the end of temperate season. Whenever glowfiles unload (i.e. the player moves a few screens away from them) they despawn entirely, so it would be impossible for them to make so many cocoons.

I sprayed Bug B Gone over the glowing pods (can't think of the name for them) and they were killed more easily = Bug B Gone works before they hatch.  It's 9 or 10 hits with a spear to kill the pod.  5 or 6 after Bug B Gone was sprayed over them.  

1 hour ago, ucw said:

I sprayed Bug B Gone over the glowing pods (can't think of the name for them) and they were killed more easily = Bug B Gone works before they hatch.  It's 9 or 10 hits with a spear to kill the pod.  5 or 6 after Bug B Gone was sprayed over them.  

Okay but why waste the spray over a few cocoons and then waste a bit of your spear, when you can let them hatch, and let them all run into the gas cloud? They all die from simply touching the gas, compared to the cocoons.

38 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Okay but why waste the spray over a few cocoons and then waste a bit of your spear, when you can let them hatch, and let them all run into the gas cloud? They all die from simply touching the gas, compared to the cocoons.

Sure, but I was experimenting.  You are right, though, they do die immediately when sprayed.  

2 hours ago, Maslak said:

It's more problematic with biomes you don't really visit for a long time. I think that leafy stalks will spawn glowing pods each temperate/humid transition and so when you finally visit it's hellww3hN58.jpg

they should die off or disappear when lush or temperate starts although their cocoons do seem to disappear after humid

On 12/28/2018 at 4:07 PM, Field Field said:

"The Glowfly is a passive Mob exclusive to the Hamlet DLC. It spawns from Exotic Flowers.

During the last few days of each season, the Glowfly turns into a cocoon called the Glowfly Cocoon. This cocoon will hatch into a Rabid Beetle. Unlike Glowfly, this Mob is aggressive and will attack the player on sight. The Rabid Beetle will cry out signaling it is aggro to the player and will proceed to attack".

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Glowfly

it's the flowers what actually generate glowflies and in turn rabid beetles... even if you aren't close.. cocoons are always spawning from flowers around them from what I've seen so far

---

tbh.. I think rabbid beetles need a rework cuz they kill every life around them... in a 60+ world you can easily have 0 monkeys nor flytraps anymore due to rabbid beetles infestations

ik they insta die with Bug B Gone, but their spawn rate is just completely absurd.

3 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

The Glowfly is a passive Mob exclusive to the Hamlet DLC. It spawns from Exotic Flowers.

---- 

During the last few days of each season, the Glowfly turns into a cocoon called the Glowfly Cocoon. This cocoon will hatch into a Rabid Beetle. Unlike Glowfly, this Mob is aggressive and will attack the player on sight. The Rabid Beetle will cry out signaling it is aggro to the player and will proceed to attack.

it's the flowers what actually generate glowflies and in turn rabbid beetles... even if you aren't close.. cacoons are always spawning from flowers around them from what I've seen so far

---

tbh.. I think rabbid beetles need a rework cuz they kill every life around them... in a 60+ world you can easily have 0 monkeys nor flytraps anymore due to rabbid beetles infestations

ik they insta die with Bug B Gone, but their spawn rate is just completely absurd.

I always see the cocoons in the light patches not sure how much the correlates, but make be important  

On 12/26/2018 at 11:53 PM, Codina said:

lightbulbs don't "stay fresh" in chests.. they decay same rate as if in your inventory.. only fridge stops decaying rate

20 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

it's the flowers what actually generate glowflies and in turn rabbid beetles... even if you aren't close.. cocoons are always spawning from flowers around them from what I've seen so far

unknown.png

From tree_pillar.lua. This is how the game handles the spawning of cocoons without the player being nearby, by executing this snippet of code when the cocooning part of the glowfly cycle begins. The cocoon spawning isn't actually related to flowers nor glowflies, it's just the leafy stalks.

12 minutes ago, Field Field said:

unknown.png

From tree_pillar.lua. This is how the game handles the spawning of cocoons without the player being nearby, by executing this snippet of code when the cocooning part of the glowfly cycle begins. The cocoon spawning isn't actually related to flowers nor glowflies, it's just the leafy stalks.

aren't tree pillars actually the giant trees in the deep forest? the ones u cannot chop?

i don't see the leafy stalks here in these lines of code.. but I don't go to the code to data mine so I wouldn't know tbh...

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

"The Glowfly is a passive Mob exclusive to the Hamlet DLC. It spawns from Exotic Flowers.

During the last few days of each season, the Glowfly turns into a cocoon called the Glowfly Cocoon. This cocoon will hatch into a Rabid Beetle. Unlike Glowfly, this Mob is aggressive and will attack the player on sight. The Rabid Beetle will cry out signaling it is aggro to the player and will proceed to attack".

it's the flowers what actually generate glowflies and in turn rabid beetles... even if you aren't close.. cocoons are always spawning from flowers around them from what I've seen so far

This isn't completely true. Glowflies only cocoon on the last day of Temperate season, not every season.

Glowflies despawn when the player is a certain distance away from them. This happens to cocoons too because they're still considered glowflies (shown by the "catch" action still being available and the name still being the same).Since these cocoons take a couple of days to turn into rabid beetles, they'll most likely despawn because the player will either enter an interior (which is located somewhere far off in the void) or simply walk a few screens away (which is enough to cause the glowflies to despawn). The rabid beetles a player meets in a regular run usually come from Great Leafy Stalks, as they have the ability to spawn glowfly cocoons (as Field Field mentioned) and give them a special tag that keeps them from despawning when the player is far away.

I recorded footage to show this in action as proof of my argument (feel free to test this yourself):

Spoiler

00:00 - Demonstration of Glowfly Explosion about a day before the cocooning begins.
00:15 - The glowflies all despawn when the player is "too far away". Going into an interior counts as being far away.
06:40 - The glowflies cocoon about a day before the Humid season begins.
07:25 - The cocoons, since they're still treated as regular glowflies, despawn when the player is "too far away".
08:20 - As Field Field mentioned, Great Leafy Stalks spawn cocoons when the cocooning happens and the player is far away.
08:35 - The cocoons do not despawn when the player is far away. 

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

lightbulbs don't "stay fresh" in chests.. they decay same rate as if in your inventory.. only fridge stops decaying rate

I think what Codina is saying is that you can keep live rabid beetles in chests to further extend the life of the lightbulb you'd get out of them because they always drop a fresh lightbulb when they're killed in an inventory.

Archived