Quick tip to stop the Rabid Beetle infestations

9 hours ago, Electroely said:

This isn't completely true. Glowflies only cocoon on the last day of Temperate season, not every season.

Glowflies despawn when the player is a certain distance away from them. This happens to cocoons too because they're still considered glowflies (shown by the "catch" action still being available and the name still being the same).Since these cocoons take a couple of days to turn into rabid beetles, they'll most likely despawn because the player will either enter an interior (which is located somewhere far off in the void) or simply walk a few screens away (which is enough to cause the glowflies to despawn). The rabid beetles a player meets in a regular run usually come from Great Leafy Stalks, as they have the ability to spawn glowfly cocoons (as Field Field mentioned) and give them a special tag that keeps them from despawning when the player is far away.

I recorded footage to show this in action as proof of my argument (feel free to test this yourself):

Reveal hidden contents

00:00 - Demonstration of Glowfly Explosion about a day before the cocooning begins.
00:15 - The glowflies all despawn when the player is "too far away". Going into an interior counts as being far away.
06:40 - The glowflies cocoon about a day before the Humid season begins.
07:25 - The cocoons, since they're still treated as regular glowflies, despawn when the player is "too far away".
08:20 - As Field Field mentioned, Great Leafy Stalks spawn cocoons when the cocooning happens and the player is far away.
08:35 - The cocoons do not despawn when the player is far away. 

I think what Codina is saying is that you can keep live rabid beetles in chests to further extend the life of the lightbulb you'd get out of them because they always drop a fresh lightbulb when they're killed in an inventory.

Why in hell would keep those monsters in a chest?.. they deserve only death 

5 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Why in hell would keep those are monsters in a chest?.. they deserve only death 

I actually kind of like the idea of trapping them and keeping them if only to have a supply of fresh light bulbs.  

Since an update, I have been finding lots of bulbs when travelling back from ROC island, but if I pick them all they won't last.  And travelling back is sometimes a pain, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to utilize calling the BFB-as-taxi-service.  That might make it easier.  

Just build city lamp post using 0% lantern and then hammer it down. You get all resources back and the lantern will be 100% again.
That explains quite a lot, thanks for detailed posts! 
Do stalk-spawned glowing pods die out on their own or to they rack up each time stalks spawn eggs?
If the amount really is growing, this should be changed imo. Beetles are not that big of a problem for a player, but for the rest of environment - yes, as people mentioned. 

Weird observation about the rabid beetles. So my current game is like day 125-ish and I'm building a master planned pig community (low taxes and no HOA fees) on the aporkalypse calendar island. I get plenty of glowflies each season but even when I go into the jungles I'm only seeing like 5-6 beetles tops, a d there are plenty of leafy stalks to spawn from. I'm planning on going back to the first island soon to grab some tea tree seed pods so we'll see how many beetles are waiting for me on the other side.

3 hours ago, Blonde0chaos said:

Weird observation about the rabid beetles. So my current game is like day 125-ish and I'm building a master planned pig community (low taxes and no HOA fees) on the aporkalypse calendar island. I get plenty of glowflies each season but even when I go into the jungles I'm only seeing like 5-6 beetles tops, a d there are plenty of leafy stalks to spawn from. I'm planning on going back to the first island soon to grab some tea tree seed pods so we'll see how many beetles are waiting for me on the other side.

Things get weird as the day count rises. The jungle on the first island of my map (I, too, base on the 5th island) is overrun with webbed trees. There’s maybe 6 or 8 monkeys, no more, but they’re webbed up most of the trees.

7 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Things get weird as the day count rises. The jungle on the first island of my map (I, too, base on the 5th island) is overrun with webbed trees. There’s maybe 6 or 8 monkeys, no more, but they’re webbed up most of the trees.

Everytime you reload the game they forget their old tree and web a new one for their home.

16 hours ago, Codina said:

how do I delete comment?

I don't think you can, but you can edit.  Just take out what you want to delete, and include that you have done this or a reason for the edit/delete.  

Dang it! I hate Rabid Beetle, i have died 3027952 times ONLY due to them. People might say use Bug Begone thingy but the issue I have met is fps and holy my fps skyrocket from 50~60 to 5 (unplayable) when encounter a swarm of Rabid Beetles in deep forest.

Imagine u going to reset the Aporkalypse calendar then meet a swarms of Rabid Bettles... Boom! A free ticket to new world. The fps drops won't let me use the Bug Begone to kill them and if I managed to use it, I would take lots of damage (maybe close to death) anyway.

And they are so aggressive, some early hatched(?) Beetles even attack Glowfly Cocoon (Excuse me what the heck?)

Hope Klei will balance the ammount of Beetle that spawn during Cocoon season or maybe fix the fps issue with Beetle.

Archived