[Design] LH+LOX+Steam Turbine

Disclaimer: the following contraption was built in survival mode with 0 OSHA-recordable dupe accidents.

The following blueprints allow the construction of space-efficient steam turbine to make LH and LOX for your Hydrogen rockets.

Bill-of-Materials (BOM):
- 2x Thermo Aquatuner (2400 Thermium. Niobium is acceptable)
- 150~200kg of Visco-gel (optional if traditional liquid lock is preferable. But the liquid must be petroleum or they'll vaporize)
- 5kg/tile or higher pressure of steam for Aquatuner to transfer heat into. 15kg/tile is preferable to allow buffer
- Normal tile built with Insulation material (the one that requires Isoresin and Reed Fiber in Molecular Forge). Or dual-layered tile so the heat from hot chamber doesn't leak into LH/LOX tank.
- 10kg/radiator-pipe-unit of Super Coolant. The Super Coolant will be cooled down to -255C for LH and -192C for LOX
- 2 Power Transformer (not the small one) to balance power draw. Each circuit segment handles Aquatuner, Liquid Pump, 2x Gas Pump, and Liquid Shutoff (1200 + 240 + 480 + 10 = 1930W)
- Steam Turbine (duh)
- Liquid Shutoff is used to bypass Aquatuner to prevent overcooling (yes LOX can turn into solid brick when overcooled). Niobium or Thermium.
- Liquid Thermo Sensor (preferably Gold. Set to activate Aquatuner bypass when below -255C for LH, -192C for LOX)
- 4x Gas Pump (Steel is enough)
- 2x Liquid Pump (any cheap metal. It will be submerged in cold LH/LOX)
- Insulated Ceramic pipe inside hot chamber, Gold Radiant pipe inside LH/LOX chamber)
- Insulated Ceramic pipe to draw LH/LOX out from the liquid tank.

Facts:
- This design is **NOT** power-positive. The purpose of this blueprint is to produce LH/LOX without putting too much strain on your power grid. This blueprint is a fuel-maker, not a power generator. Although it is possible to tune-up the Steam Turbine to produce excess power if required.
- Steam turbine will **NOT** be 100% on. It will shut down once the steam is not hot enough (e.g. Aquatuner is bypassed)
- No exploit.

Design:
20181225232120_1.thumb.jpg.401924dfd85211d355c4830f04f3b71e.jpg

Split into 3 chambers, from top-top-bottom:
- Cool steam chamber (4x Gas Pump + Steam Turbine). Pipe the cool steam back into the hot steam chamber below.
- Hot steam chamber (2x Aquatuner). Bottom tiles of this chamber MUST NOT leak heat into the LH/LOX tank. Only 1 port of Steam Turbine is needed.
- LH/LOX tank (2x Liquid Pump, 2x Gas Vent of High-Pressure version, 2x Liquid Thermo Sensor)

Thermal overlay after a few cycles:
20181225232126_1.thumb.jpg.cc8b77c7bfeab8446e1697ec1dc1ca8c.jpg

Plumbing overlay:

20181225232130_1.thumb.jpg.eb08475f1a9a3942fe919a0dc072e93a.jpg

Note the distinction between insulated and radiant pipe. Any pipe in the hot steam chamber must be insulated. Any pipe in the cold chamber must be radiant.

Also note the Liquid Shutoff for Aquatuner Bypass that's activated by Liquid Thermo Sensor.

It *IS* required that the output pipe is insulated or LH/LOX will phase-change to gas, damaging the pipe.

Power overlay:

20181225232138_1.thumb.jpg.04871afd3887e6a42972f05fbedaf61f.jpg

2 separate circuits. 1930W peak draw each.

Automation overlay:

20181225232140_1.thumb.jpg.a99470557580697f7be321e3db4a0811.jpg

Door controls are definitely overkill. What's important are the green wires. Aquatuner are "remotely" triggered by hydro sensor.

Look, I'm all for using exploits, but if you're going to claim "No exploit" don't have a picture showing you using the port blocking exploit literally 1 word later. 

I realize you're not using this to generate power, but you'd still need another 16 gas pumps for this build if you weren't using the port blocking exploit. 

Other than that, nicely designed compact build. I like it. 

You don't need niobium in a properly built steam heat deletion device. Cover the lower tiles of aquatuners with petroleum and steel is completely safe.

And stop claiming it's "no exploit". You can enumerate the exploits you are using/not using, but there is no official, complete list of confirmed exploits. You're using a steam turbine to delete heat, which many would consider an exploit, and blocking inputs, which is certainly an exploit because it is obviously a bug.

I think it's a neat build. Not going to ree about exploits, I think using pumps to move the steam is a huge commitment to cleanness. I mean, not even a door pump. 

On a technical note, I don't think you need those liquid shutoffs. Just disable the aquatuner with automation and the coolant will flow past the input. You can then bridge that onto a pipe segment just past the output, and bob's your uncle.

1 hour ago, biopon said:

I think it's a neat build. Not going to ree about exploits, I think using pumps to move the steam is a huge commitment to cleanness. I mean, not even a door pump. 

On a technical note, I don't think you need those liquid shutoffs. Just disable the aquatuner with automation and the coolant will flow past the input. You can then bridge that onto a pipe segment just past the output, and bob's your uncle.

Wait! If aquatuner is disabled with automation liquid does not flow through it?!! This is blowing my mind, I have so many shut offs to remove.

7 minutes ago, Cypher-7 said:

Wait! If aquatuner is disabled with automation liquid does not flow through it?!! This is blowing my mind, I have so many shut offs to remove.

Correct. A lot of people will extend the loop 1 tile past the input and then bridge that into the output pipe to keep the temp sensor loop flowing while the tuner is turned off. 

Exploit or not,  this is a nice build.

I personally consider the port blocking to be a very minor exploit.  Without it,  turbines are basically impossible to use.  And you're not using the trick the heat sensor exploit, so it's all good,  imo.

41 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Exploit or not,  this is a nice build.

I personally consider the port blocking to be a very minor exploit.  Without it,  turbines are basically impossible to use.  And you're not using the trick the heat sensor exploit, so it's all good,  imo.

u kidding me, right? minor exploit? this is one of the biggest exploit that are around for a steam turbine. And the build is far away from being "nice" 

5 hours ago, hpongledd said:

u kidding me, right? minor exploit? this is one of the biggest exploit that are around for a steam turbine. And the build is far away from being "nice" 

I did say "personally", as in my opinion.  "Personally" I feel that having to use simply ridiculous quantities of gas pumps to move the output of a single turbine to be a heck of a lot more unbalanced and broken than blocking ports to make the dumb thing work.  Sure you can use door pumps instead of blocking ports, but that's just replacing one "exploit" with another.  Is the turbine messed up?  Absolutely.  It needs serious rebalancing and yes it should reduce the power output based on number of open ports, but until that happens, I'll continue with my opinion of things.

Yes steel is fine, and it runs cooled with water.

In my setup, i put 1kg of water at 2 aquatuners below a steam turbine (1 tile free above the tuners). All ports of steam-turbine open. The water heats up, and if it reaches ~231°C the turbine spins up and cools down the area below. The aquia-tuners never overheat. (they can survive up to 275°C i think? what never happens). Above i build a condensing area, that pumps back the water from the cooled steam to use it again to cool.

Its pretty simple that way. 

And for the "blocking ports" issue. I dont see it as a bug per definition. The bug itself would be, the turbine is at full output even if 4 of 5 ports are blocked. But because i use it just for cooling purpose, and not for power generation (it spins up for 2-3 seconds, never more) i would not mind if the output would be 1/5 of the 2k. 

I redesigned it and improved this design. Not tested yet. Need power line first and water for steam. Is builded in survival mode so.. need more time for finish it. When is ready and tested I will post the improvements here. As i said. I like it. And no exploits. Thanks @biopon for the bridge idea.

I build a small room around the turbine, with no clearance tiles on top, 1 on the sides and 2 tiles at the bottom. Fill the room with hydrogen (any gas lighter than steam works), when the aquatuners is heating up I add water controlled by a pressure sensor that is active if the pressure is bellow 20K.

So I have the hydrogen compressed into 1 tile at the top creating the upper pressure threshold the steam needs to be higher than to make the engine run and that happens to be 20K because the hydrogen compresses into a little less than 20K.

The steam turbine is designed to work this way, low pressure on top, high pressure at the bottom, so it's all using the simple game mechanics. 

As i promise here is my improved version of @gbudiman LOX and LH generator. In spoilers more details. No door compressors, no blocked ports, no top layer of different gas, isn't used for power generator (only heat deletion).  The build isn't completed yet. Need more super coolant so i send my rocket for rare resources :) (LH part isn't working because no coolant), and steam generator isn't working either because bottom steam is to cold. 

As you can see in the right i will build a polluted oxygen cleaning room (need more clay) and in the left side is the ex gravitas facility reconverted in storage area for the LH And LOX. I didn't like the version of the gbudiman because he wasted to much space, and he can fit another 2 gas pumps. I use 3 aquatuners 1 for LOX, 2 for cooling LOX for storage purpose, and 3 for LH. And the 4 power transformers are for the 3 aquatuners paired whit 2 pumps, and the last form auxiliars (bunker doors, rocket crane, pumps, etc)

8.thumb.jpg.2b60900867734f77d9b1b390d6659350.jpg

Spoiler

2.thumb.jpg.7249a2b13d61fde5640c7e35b8026a3a.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.79375530d5b37a95bd6ce1f25a45f554.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.e622024348752ae4d2a141bd77639038.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.324b2518227936da4c9f2bb8fc0ab21f.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.11e3c4babf972baea15984076f2503ca.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.57d108961bf6697baed236f8c0231823.jpg

Archived