Rocket Mission duration

3 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I really hope we get a way to trade efficiency for speed

yeah pretty much. was really excited to farm those sweet sweet gas giants but 30 cycles just seems ridiculous especially since that late in the game there isn't much else to do.

2 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I really hope we get a way to trade efficiency for speed

(Could be a new late game booster or just a worse fuel ratio ....)

I'd rather have one of the following:

• frequent visits reduce travel time (down to ~50%)
  • better engines increase travel speed (up to ~300%)
  • more astronauts increase travel speed
  • a manned ground control improves travel speed and allows you to sync the rocket arrival with meteor showers
  • special module that allows you to place beacons on destinations that reduce travel time

40 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I'd rather have one of the following:

• frequent visits reduce travel time (down to ~50%) : 1
  • better engines increase travel speed (up to ~300%) : 2
  • more astronauts increase travel speed : 3
  • a manned ground control improves travel speed and allows you to sync the rocket arrival with meteor showers :4
  • special module that allows you to place beacons on destinations that reduce travel time  : 5

When I think of it :

1 is very unlikely. And I don't see why it should be that way.

2 is, in my opinion, the best way to approach it. And it would be logical. Better engines and fuel could produce more lift and then produce more speed.

3 is very unlikely too. I don't see why having multiple astronauts would increase speed. And gameplay wise it would be very disabling to lose multiple dupes per rocket for extensive periods.

4 : The meteor shower part would be nice but still the speed I don't see how it would work in a logical point.

5 can be nice. The only problem is that it would be a fire and forget. The module would be usable like 14 times and then you can forget the module for the rest of the game.

To summarize. I think only the the 2nd point is viable. But the 4th can be nice to avoid rockets returning during meteor showers. Maybe it can be added to the current space scanner ?

4 hours ago, Angpaur said:

How did you come up with this idea? How increasing mass should increase travel speed?

Like more drivers in a car reduce the travel time as one drives while others are sleeping. I`m not sure if the analogy applies to rockets properly though.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

I know it makes little sense for rockets but that was my first thought when i saw that idea.

Just consider another angle: Dupes are not only traveling to the destinations but interacting with them. A more complex system would take that into account like making one dupes take 6 additional cycles regardless of distance. Mayhaps then the distance modifier does not need to be 3 but could be 2 cycles.

I'd be in favour of reducing it to 2 cycles per 10km. Then adding a cycle for each cargo to simulate them filling it on arrival.

Technically in realistic space travel, the only time you use fuel is when you're burning to make an intercept with another body, and then landing. You don't just burn fuel constantly until arrival. You just coast at a set speed based on your burn and your orbit. The current weight penalty system makes a joke of real physics.

I'd like the whole idea of space travel revised... Instead of fire and forget for several (dozen) cycles, we should be able to zoom at the destination planet / asteroid. It would be up to the player how to utilize the limited time (oxygen) before departure. The astronaut(s) could mine resources, wrangle creatures or even construct a mini-base, to make recurrent trips to the same destination worthwhile.

Also, you'd have to make the main base self sustainable before space travel as an added challenge

The focus would shift from the space "travel" to the actual operation at the destination point, so travel times could be diminished considerably without being overpowered

6 hours ago, Christophlette said:

When I think of it :

1 is very unlikely. And I don't see why it should be that way.

You are familiar with the term "practice makes perfect"?

3 is very unlikely too. I don't see why having multiple astronauts would increase speed. And gameplay wise it would be very disabling to lose multiple dupes per rocket for extensive periods.

It's also an incentive to place more astronauts into the rocket. It would be another decision for the player to make (10% less traveltime or 1 more dupe in base). Also you might have noticed that not too few actual space crafts are manned by more than one person nowadays. So there seems to be some logical reason for using more than one pilot.

4 : The meteor shower part would be nice but still the speed I don't see how it would work in a logical point.

Again. Actual rockets nowadays do not fly by sight. They are guided by a control center. Some might measure efficiency in lethality, others in speed. In any case the control room adds a great deal of efficiency in real-life as well.

5 can be nice. The only problem is that it would be a fire and forget. The module would be usable like 14 times and then you can forget the module for the rest of the game.

Like the research module.

18 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Actually it should be the only thing which returns with Vacillator charges of which one would like around 3,5 per dupe, also...

one has to wonder when...  

New Artifact Objects: Bring them back from outer space for decorative display in the colony

will actually release and if they are part of cargo or research.

11 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Yes, it´s 3 cycles for each 10km (mission times are 3-30 cycles)

So a flight to the farest object you can reach will take 100min real time when the game is run at 3x (=max) speed

I wonder if klei even did the math...because who ever thought almost 2 hours of game play to get 2 cargo containers of stuff would make sense or be fun needs to reevaluate their thinking.

33 minutes ago, cpy said:

2 cycles for 10Mm + 1 cycle for 1 dupe to fill 1 ton/1 science/1 special cargo.

7 cycles to fully research closest destinations and 25 for farthest.
3 cycles for 1 cargo bay harvest on close destinations, 21 for farthest. 7 for the steel/glass satelite.

Still not perfect but i like the idea. Provides a downside for overloading on science modules. Add some an additional benefit for higher tier engines and i think it will be ina nice spot.

6 hours ago, blash365 said:

You are familiar with the term "practice makes perfect"?

When you take your car for a ride and it takes 20 minutes to go to a specific destination, it will still take 20 minutes after you've done it 20 times.

It's also an incentive to place more astronauts into the rocket. It would be another decision for the player to make (10% less traveltime or 1 more dupe in base). Also you might have noticed that not too few actual space crafts are manned by more than one person nowadays. So there seems to be some logical reason for using more than one pilot.

Actual space crafts can be on auto pilot. And they are made to be piloted by only one man in case of emergency. There are multiple astronauts that have each a domain of expertise most of the time. I understand your point in giving the player a choice. But the logic is not there in my opinion. 

Again. Actual rockets nowadays do not fly by sight. They are guided by a control center. Some might measure efficiency in lethality, others in speed. In any case the control room adds a great deal of efficiency in real-life as well.

All the calculations are made beforehand when we talk about our world. So you don't go with too much fuel or too few... So if you talk about pre flight calculations then it can be logical. Else it's not changing anything. 

7 hours ago, blash365 said:

As someone already mentioned, it is still used to get vacillator recharges. So it's not useless. At least not totally. 

8 hours ago, Xuhybrid said:

The current weight penalty system makes a joke of real physics.

It's not a joke. If you want to take off with a 20 kilograms rocket from earth you will need very few fuel to get to your cruise speed. But a 20 tons rocket will consume a lot more. You need to leave the atmosphere and the gravity field (not sure about the term on this one). So heavier means more fuel. 

43 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

It's not a joke. If you want to take off with a 20 kilograms rocket from earth you will need very few fuel to get to your cruise speed. But a 20 tons rocket will consume a lot more. You need to leave the atmosphere and the gravity field (not sure about the term on this one). So heavier means more fuel. 

Except having multiple cargo adds way more than 1T. It adds an exponential penalty making any kind of large cargo ship impossible.

2 hours ago, cpy said:

2 cycles for 10Mm + 1 cycle for 1 dupe to fill 1 ton/1 science/1 special cargo.

No delay for research. Why? Most of it is done before landing and you need a lot more research modules than cargo.

The fact that you can go to the closest planet 10 times in the time it takes to go to the farthest kinda sucks from a gameplay standpoint, there's not a lot of reason to make the far trip and the real time you have to wait is immense. Sure you only get small amounts of the special materials from the closest planets, but you can also load up way more cargo cans and make the trip multiple times. I imagine normalizing travel time would make more sense from a balance point of view even if perhaps it's not realistic, like closest is around 5 cycles and farthest is around 10 cycles. Or as people say, if the booster cut down travel time it would be way more useful than it currently is (which is barely useful at all).

Archived