Rocket Mission duration

8 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

7 cycles to fully research closest destinations and 25 for farthest.
3 cycles for 1 cargo bay harvest on close destinations, 21 for farthest. 7 for the steel/glass satelite.

Still not perfect but i like the idea. Provides a downside for overloading on science modules. Add some an additional benefit for higher tier engines and i think it will be ina nice spot.

Maybe that + 3 cycles per 10Mm on steam engine 2 on petroleum 1 on hydrogen. That would make things interresting.

So final balance pass 3 cycles on steam engine per 10Mm + 1 cycle to fill one cargo type + 0.5 cycle for tourist/science

2 cycles on petroleum engine per 10Mm

1 cycle on hydrogen engine per 10Mm

Passenger cabin reduce loading time by half so you only need 0.5cycle to fill cargo type.

2 hours ago, cpy said:

Yeah space in unbalanced AF. Gain / cycle is best for closer planets. Such shame.

Unless you have Gas Giants which do net 100% ??? materials~

Also, I am fairly sure that at least the magma from volcanic planets has considerable worth, it's 1726.9°C after all, over 300°C over the freezing point and nearly 200°C hotter than the inconvenient magma (which one can not just put into a pipe)

9 hours ago, Christophlette said:

When you take your car for a ride and it takes 20 minutes to go to a specific destination, it will still take 20 minutes after you've done it 20 times.

definitely not, because i know the way by then and i know some shortcuts.

Actual space crafts can be on auto pilot. And they are made to be piloted by only one man in case of emergency. There are multiple astronauts that have each a domain of expertise most of the time. I understand your point in giving the player a choice. But the logic is not there in my opinion. 

So what makes you think that having an autopilot means that the astronauts are not adjusting it during flighttime? There was a quite famous apollo flight, where the flight time was significantly reduced because there were astronauts on board, who were able to fix a problem.

All the calculations are made beforehand when we talk about our world. So you don't go with too much fuel or too few... So if you talk about pre flight calculations then it can be logical. Else it's not changing anything. 

There might be meteors in collision course of the space craft, there might be space monsters that you need to steer clear off, there might be unexpected laser grids that you need to hit the emergency break for. There are alot of things happening while the rocket is en-route. The mere fact that the game doesnt present them to you, doesnt mean, they are not there.

Here am I floating round my tin can

Far above the Moon

Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

As someone already mentioned, it is still used to get vacillator recharges. So it's not useless. At least not totally. 

Then there might be another purpose for the beacon thing. Maybe you can only have x beacons at the same time. So you need to collect them and place them somewhere else. There could be new avenues of gameplay there.

11 minutes ago, blash365 said:

The mere fact that the game doesnt present them to you, doesnt mean, they are not there.

I think you have too big imagination ;)

Do you think there could be tooth fairies in this game, which are giving some money to dupes for thier teeth?

On 12/12/2018 at 11:40 PM, Christophlette said:

When you take your car for a ride and it takes 20 minutes to go to a specific destination, it will still take 20 minutes after you've done it 20 times.

I partially disagree with this.

When you fly rocket for first time to new destination the time will but much longer then when you travel to the same destination 100 times.

It is not only distance that you have to consider (like on a road, you get practice where are particular signs, or where you can go on which speed).

It shouldn't cut down on time every single journey, but making some place as "known" to cut down 20% of total time makes sense to me.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:40 PM, Christophlette said:

Actual space crafts can be on auto pilot. And they are made to be piloted by only one man in case of emergency. There are multiple astronauts that have each a domain of expertise most of the time. I understand your point in giving the player a choice. But the logic is not there in my opinion.

This is true, however in case of emergency more people means faster fix time (well depends of emergency). Usually 2-3 crew is optimal - to prevent from really silly, but yet possible accidents (stuck in a toilet without paper sort of thing).

Again it might cut down time of a trip (because when rocket goes somewhere it is not only flying there but there is a lot of side tasks that needs to be consider and done, like packing, unpacking samples, preparing to land, take off, all "life admin" stuff) - and those things takes much more time. Looking from "real life logic" dupes are not robots, so all missions should be various of +-20% (so you lunch rocket, estimate time is lets say 30 cycles, but something happened and dupes managed to do it within 24, or they had some emergency and they came back after 36).

1 hour ago, ONIfreak said:

Looking from "real life logic" dupes are not robots, so all missions should be various of +-20% (so you lunch rocket, estimate time is lets say 30 cycles, but something happened and dupes managed to do it within 24, or they had some emergency and they came back after 36).

This is a separate suggestion. "Events during Space missions". You should make a new thread about that.

Archived