Microsoft Paint club.

Someonestolemeberrys

50 minutes ago, Rosten said:

Hey man. Don't diss MS Paint. XP paint was the bomb and I used to know a few artists who could make some really good stuff on it.

Totally not dissing it. I loved to doddle back in highschool and occasionally I still do at work. At home all I have is Paint. In a way @Youknowwho Kinda inspired me to do this :p

(blushes)  Awww...!  :)  Yeah, I mess with Paint all the time--for example, my avatar was drawn that way.  (I wanted to have something that was my own, so I'd know nobody else would happen to be using the same popular screenshot/concept art pic--and also so I'd know I have permission to use it.  : P)  The original is bigger, of course. 

I don't really have any Don't Starve pictures in Paint to show you guys (besides that one) except a couple that I haven't gotten around to finishing, but my DeviantArt gallery is full of the stuff--and all drawn with the mouse with my right hand, even though I'm actually left-handed.  (The freaky thing is, it still looks like my hand-drawn-on-paper stuff, style-wise. There's an interesting scientific note in there somewhere...)

...Notorious

11 hours ago, Rosten said:

Hey man. Don't diss MS Paint. XP paint was the bomb and I used to know a few artists who could make some really good stuff on it.

You have no idea how confused I felt when I tried out my library's Windows10 paint. I was a bit startled by the additional features on it. :wilson_shocked:

44 minutes ago, Adura said:

What if you don't have Microsoft Paint?

Firealpaca or your own machine's art section. Microsoft word also has a picture function.

6 hours ago, minespatch said:

You have no idea how confused I felt when I tried out my library's Windows10 paint. I was a bit startled by the additional features on it. :wilson_shocked:

Firealpaca or your own machine's art section. Microsoft word also has a picture function.

I know, right?  I was especially dismayed when I found out the simple bucket-fill didn't work properly anymore--if you don't want stupid fiddly pixels around all your outlines, you now have to do the "tolerance" thing, and mess with more settings...dude, that's what I would use a _fancier_ program for!  : P  MS Paint is supposed to be the simple one.

As for older versions, I found a copy of the Windows XP one (the one I'm used to) online somewhere. Can't remember the address now, but it wasn't hard to find...  In case you're wondering, it would be _in addition_ to whatever current Paint program you might have, not replacing, and has a different icon.

That's what I used to draw my Walani here--in Windows 7! :)  (I know, I know, I'm still behind...)

...Notorious

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

if you don't want stupid fiddly pixels around all your outlines, you now have to do the "tolerance" thing, and mess with more settings...

9 hours ago, minespatch said:

You have no idea how confused I felt when I tried out my library's Windows10 paint. I was a bit startled by the additional features on it. 

Windows 10 user here. My Paint looks virtually the same as in Windows 7 & 8 and I don't see any tolerance option for the bucket tool.

Spoiler

2cbc95491f8045768ec628c9b66fd9b5.png

51 minutes ago, Bebbit said:

Windows 10 user here. My Paint looks virtually the same as in Windows 7 & 8 and I don't see any tolerance option for the bucket tool.

Hide contents

2cbc95491f8045768ec628c9b66fd9b5.png

Meh, same for me, updated my computer to Windows 10, looks the same as well, didn't really expect them to change it tho, MS Paint is perfect.

Nuh-uh!  You see all those extra pixels around the edges that didn't turn black when you used the bucket fill?  THAT'S what I'm talking about. It looks messy and annoying.  They totally _did_ change it.  Everything looks fuzzy now; you can't do the precise lines you used to be able to.  I'm used to fancier programs being like that, but Paint is supposed to allow you to do crisp, clean cartoony artwork.  It shouldn't get ideas above its station like this.  : P

Apparently there's a way to make the bucket fill work the way it used to again with the tolerance option, or so somebody here said (sorry, I forget the name).  I don't know myself--I just hated it so much, I looked for the Windows XP paint and switched back to that. 

oldpaintexample.png

This is an example of Paint XP.  Look how the circle is actually solid, and notice how the lines have no dithering.  (From left to right:  Circle/oval and bucket fill tools, straight line, arc, pencil at the bottom.)

See, one of my main problems with like...any other art program, including those simple ones where you scribble online and they have hardly any options, is that you can't just fill an outlined area in one go, smoothly.  You have to paint it in yourself, and that very often goes over the lines.  So you have to RE-DO the lines, and...

I dunno, just...I want to make a solid area of colour first and _then_ worry about shading it to make it fancier.  Is that so much to ask?  Seriously, you look at like...any online art program and they all have you painting it in by hand.  Maybe some of them have a means by which the going-over-the-lines thing doesn't happen, by using...layers...or something?  But most of the time it's "Here, scribble this in yourself!" and that makes me destroy my own line work!

So, GIVE ME A PLAIN BUCKET FILL THAT ACTUALLY _FILLS_.  Please.

Edit: To the average user, those little pixels around the outline probably don't matter.  But, if you've been using Paint for years to make artwork you're actually kinda proud of, suddenly having one of THE most basic, iconic controls--the ability to make solid fills in just one step--taken away, THEN, you really notice it.

Edit edit:  I like your avatar, Bebbit.  :)

...Notorious

Archived