[Game Update] - 272331

20 minutes ago, Moggles said:

I don't understand the people who have one power supply and totally switching to another type.

I utilize all forms of power generator and I tune the whole system with smart batteries to determine the priority based on how abundant a particular resource is as geysers go in and out of dormancy.

Even when I go to coal early game I keep two hamster wheels as backup set to 10% threshold. I will always keep those coal gens too as a backup to whatever comes next.

It is a matter of sustainability. My initial base is incomplete until I achieved a STEADY and STABLE power supply. Hamster wheels, coal gens and now nat gas are a temporary solutions, just like mealwood is a temporary solution until better food is available. My entire game is based upon building that sustainable solutions.

I see no reason to use inferior and unnecessary power sources when I have stable ones. Now it will be oil boiling and infinite steam turbine.

Nat gas is dependant on geyser dormancy and output and 80% of the time they are not worth it.

Coal is dependant on hatch farming and if before hatches were fed fertilizer, now with fert power plant becoming useless coal farming became useless to me as well, because hatches now should be fed with LIMITED resources. Unless using rcomet stuff but it is too time consuming.

Hamster wheels takes dupes time and are the least effective solution.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

It is a matter of sustainability. My initial base is incomplete until I achieved a STEADY and STABLE power supply. Hamster wheels, coal gens and now nat gas are a temporary solutions, just like mealwood is a temporary solution until better food is available. My entire game is based upon building that sustainable solutions.

I see no reason to use inferior and unnecessary power sources when I have stable ones. Now it will be oil boiling and infinite steam turbine.

Nat gas is dependant on geyser dormancy and output and 80% of the time they are not worth it.

Coal is dependant on hatch farming and if before hatches were fed fertilizer, now with fert power plant becoming useless coal farming became useless to me as well, because hatches now should be fed with LIMITED resources. Unless using rcomet stuff but it is too time consuming.

Hamster wheels takes dupes time and are the least effective solution.

Personnally i use multiple source of power using shuting down power to modify automaticly my power grid to change the main power source depending of the ressources available.

Just to say that is the use of sage hatch and normal hatch can be feed with normal food, I don't see the matter you have to made infinite coal

9 hours ago, TheExceed said:

No but I haven't seen anyone make an appropriate steam system that worked. So that one is out the window. (without abusing a bug)
Dupe power depends on having a decent amount I stick to around 6 for 400+ cycles. 
Petroleum is technically dupe power unless you heat oil to petro.
And solar needs more balancing and is late game.
Hydrogen geyser come out pretty hot. 900+F and are fairly rare. In terms of electrolyzer systems that is efficient enough to run hydro genie without eventually running out of power.

Yes solar needs balancing, Petroleum technically does need dupes, but a lot less tan hamster wheels, plus eventually you will end up with idle dupes so having something for your idle dupes to use is great

Wheezeworts and automation can be used to overpower a hydrogen geyser but as you said they are rare but I use hydrogen to power my base from electrolyzers.

a power source doesn't have to be sustainable, you just need to switch the sources etc, for instance trying to run a steam generator non stop is pretty much suicide unless you use bugs or door compressions etc. Mine is set up s that if I run out of power it is here for those emergency situations, same for my petroleum.

A power source is not late game or early game. just blocked by research. some people could and do run their bases using just coal. In the end you use a power source which suits your needs and of which you have the fuel to run

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Unless your printing pod is broken and your dupes are terminally ill, then there's no reason hamster wheels have to be temporary solutions.  And I see no reason why you can't still sustain coal generators via hatches.  Instead of feeding them fertilizer you'll have to find something else, but there is no shortage of renewable hatch food.

To be frank, some of you just seem resistant to change and a bit miffed that the path of least resistance is not as smooth as it once was.  I suggest rolling with the changes, embrace them and see what new, rewarding systems you can engineer.  This game is all about problem solving.; if you're just wanting to tinker around in a sandbox then there's a sandbox mode, conveniently enough.  If you don't want to adapt to a new, harder way of doing things then fire that up and paint in all the natural gas your heart desires.

Edited by goboking
typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TheExceed said:

Then that system gets "old and tired" and we are back to nerfing power systems. Loool. 

If making petroleum boilers is kept sufficiently hard, then no, probably not.  If it gets too easy, then yes, probably.

Edited by trukogre

19 hours ago, Cheerio said:
  •  
    • Compost produces dirt, sleet wheat requires dirt. Farm station still requires fertilizer

You know guys this sleet wheat farm you've been working on for the last cycles? Never mind. Just expand the bristle blossom farm!

Is it just me ? I cannot produce steel anymore. Iron + carbon will be delivered. Lime not.And yes, I have 150KG Lime nearby on the floor.  Deleted the queue and did it again. The same result. 

7 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

Is it just me ? I cannot produce steel anymore. Iron + carbon will be delivered. Lime not.And yes, I have 150KG Lime nearby on the floor.  Deleted the queue and did it again. The same result. 

I have experienced that to. Maybe we need to report this.

Here's an idea: Make fertilizer easier to produce again (by lowering or removing the dirt and/or phosphorite requirements) and then make both bristle blossoms and sleet wheat require fertilizer (possibly in different quantities).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, leoroy said:

You know guys this sleet wheat farm you've been working on for the last cycles? Never mind. Just expand the bristle blossom farm!

As long as the dirt temperature from composts isn't prohibitively high then I don't see why delivering dirt to a sleet wheat farm is any worse than delivering fertilizer.

12 hours ago, TheExceed said:

No but I haven't seen anyone make an appropriate steam system that worked. 

I have attached a more simple version of what mines uses. (As mine spans over a large area)

In the example I am using a Gold Volcano and two Steam generators. Since mine is intermittent I don't really need more but I think you could daisy chain up to 4 before the steam becomes too cold.

Polluted water goes in at -10c (Slush Geyser if your luck) and comes out at 10c+ depending on how long you run it for.

Water goes in at 10c, the higher the temperature the better since you waste less energy heating it up and is getting fed in at 3kg/s 

Steam condenses at the bottom usually at around 70 degrees and can be pumped back into the system.

The more water you can spare the more steam you can store in the first chamber. but once you get to a certain point you don't really need to throw more and more water in as it will eventually beat the heating you can provide. Should work with any form of volcano but as it drops into a solid you do need to wait until there is enough material gathered or put a gas in to transfer the heat.

20180609145930_1.jpg

20180609145920_1.jpg

20180609145924_1.jpg

20180609145928_1.jpg

Just now, BlueLance said:

I have attached a more simple version of what mines uses. (As mine spans over a large area)

In the example I am using a Gold Volcano and two Steam generators. Since mine is intermittent I don't really need more but I think you could daisy chain up to 4 before the steam becomes too cold.

Polluted water goes in at -10c (Slush Geyser if your luck) and comes out at 10c+ depending on how long you run it for.

Water goes in at 10c, the higher the temperature the better since you waste less energy heating it up and is getting fed in at 3kg/s 

Steam condenses at the bottom usually at around 70 degrees and can be pumped back into the system.

The more water you can spare the more steam you can store in the first chamber. but once you get to a certain point you don't really need to throw more and more water in as it will eventually beat the heating you can provide. Should work with any form of volcano but as it drops into a solid you do need to wait until there is enough material gathered or put a gas in to transfer the heat.

20180609145930_1.jpg

20180609145920_1.jpg

20180609145924_1.jpg

20180609145928_1.jpg

in debug...

55 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

hmkay ^^

I have attached my current one. Like I said large area XD 5PS

20180609153558_1.jpg

I did just find a bug though with the steam generator... 

Similar design, except its hotter water and hotter polluted water. Still cools down the steam enough to condense. 

Edited by BlueLance
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueLance said:

I have attached my current one. Like I said large area XD 5PS

20180609153558_1.jpg

I did just find a bug though with the steam generator... 

Similar design, except its hotter water and hotter polluted water. Still cools down the steam enough to condense. 

:)
I made the experience, as soon as FPS drops below 25, game get's very buggy on my pc.

2 hours ago, goboking said:

As long as the dirt temperature from composts isn't prohibitively high then I don't see why delivering dirt to a sleet wheat farm is any worse than delivering fertilizer.

actually, planters will ignore dirt and water temperature

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Don't they heat up if the contents are not used straight away though?

Nope.  They fixed the hydro tiles but not the planter

6 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

For me the hydrotiles are connected to water input temperature.

planters; not the tiles

• Like 1