Heat based Oil refining to natural gas.

Not working anymore in OU.

Made a power system that produces 5k surplus power with no consumption of fuel, actually you will gain oil from this set up.

It looks like a hot mess because I built it without debug tool. There were some few things I had to fix so. 

Some of the heat I am using to make clean water from polluted water. Initial though was to use only the water form Natural gas generator but it got to hot, so I had to supplement it with extra water. 

It produces

6400 W of power (1.2 - 1.44 kW of power draw).

180 g/s oil

540 g/s polluted water that is converted to clean water. 

Power

22 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

With a good design, you can heat more than 3kg/s oil to natural gas.

1.7 J/(g*K)*3000g/s*500K=2550000W=2550kW

But the only heat source is liquid tepidizer which only produce 20.32 kW heat. Where does heat come from?

Buildings actually produce 200 times their listed heat outputs if you measure them or look at the code; so the tepidizer is putting out over 4000kW of heat in actuality.

How tepidizer works is it heats directly the gas so the gas heats up lots and the gas then will heat up tepidizer. But I am using CO2 so it will not heat it so much. And then the oil is cooling down the tepedizer.

And lastly I am exploiting the fact that cooling a liquid on the top will cool everything below it. That is what the slicksters is doing when they convert the CO2 to oil and dropping in the oil storage. 

I copied your design (though I made a minor mistake on the right side).  Just some minor feedback:

• The hydrogen heat sink thing isn't necessary (at least not where it is)
  • The crude oil needs cooling.  If it reaches 85C the tepidizer turns off and the system fails
  • I didn't notice at first, but you have a small sliver of naptha separating the crude oil and the carbon dioxide.  Without this, I kept having issues with the gas escaping somehow.
  • It worked much better with a tungstun tempshift plate on the far right of the tepidizer (maybe you had one and I just didn't notice at first).

overall pretty sweet.  I no longer have to use my natural gas geysers or fertilizer makers at all.  Also don't really need to run the petroleum cycle because I have enough plastic and power now.

edit: take back the hydrogen heat sink. just realized the weezeworts eventually stop working if they get to 95C of course

3 hours ago, donutman07 said:

The crude oil needs cooling.  If it reaches 85C the tepidizer turns off and the system fails

Yeah. My cooling solution is that there is slicksters that produces 30C oil that cools down the oil. You have to have quit lot of oil for it to work. And I have put in a thermo sensor on my new design. so that the tepedizer not running 100% of the time.

And the weezeworts get more cooling in hydrogen.

One thing that can be little bit problematic is that the Naturalgas generator gets hot and needs cooling. So I have put in cold  polluted water drip in with 100 g/s.  

Looks like you can scale it up.  I'm getting at least 12 NGGs with it, only using 4-5 slicksters. Caging them seems to make them more active like other animals.  Of course it's a debug setup, my cooling is free in this map, the surrounding air is like 1200kg oxygen under 5C.  But I'm sure there's ways to make it work in a real game.  And it's so nice to get free clean water at the same time at a ridiculous energy cost compared to using an aqua tuner on top of a tepidizer. And free sand too.  Congrats, great job!  ;) 

image.thumb.png.22c59a8be86673e4cd21a651bb05e43f.png

@donutman07 referred this thread in this discussion:

So I tried my own take on it. It is essentially the same setup but it uses the oil storage to not only cool the tepidizer but also to cool the gas output. The cooling chamber is pumping to and from an entropy device that is set to -15C. The automated door should totally be a naphtha lock but at the time I built it I already pumped in all the oil so I didn't have the nerve to pump it all out again. The empty room at the top is a placeholder to potentially produce steam like OP does:

20171207162014_1.thumb.jpg.2111efda0459ae2f129eab632e4eca35.jpg

The natural gas itself (very low conductivity) and the abyssalite slope serve as a buffer between the hot and cold areas:

20171207162105_1.thumb.jpg.07c1e73651863408280ab450b1c610db.jpg

On 11/11/2017 at 7:04 AM, NanoD said:

Made a power system that produces 5k surplus power with no consumption of fuel, actually you will gain oil from this set up.

It looks like a hot mess because I built it without debug tool. There were some few things I had to fix so. 

Some of the heat I am using to make clean water from polluted water. Initial though was to use only the water form Natural gas generator but it got to hot, so I had to supplement it with extra water. 

It produces

6400 W of power (1.2 - 1.44 kW of power draw).

180 g/s oil

540 g/s polluted water that is converted to clean water. 

Power

I tried to do the same thing but how to put CO2 between Liquid Tepidizer and Tile? Please help me on this. 

5 hours ago, HarperB said:

I tried to do the same thing but how to put CO2 between Liquid Tepidizer and Tile? Please help me on this. 

you need to use a second liquid that will stop the moment. Naptha is good because it likes to stay in a clump. But not as extrem as before. Now it stays up to 20 kg in one spot. 

11376A2841B0E5EA0DA272C2A19987B01BA35EAA 

1 hour ago, juni3227 said:

I've seen that distiller from a youtuber. Mind for the language. 

There is a save file in the description.

edit:

This one is in action after naphtha bug fix without debugging mod.

@jamesbread is also a forum user here and a twitch streamer, he's been showing a lot of this sort of stuff for a while. A really great stream to watch even though I don't speak Korean.

8 hours ago, HarperB said:

I think specifically CO2 is not needed and could be also other gas like chlorine. So I would use 2 different gases.
First make 4x1 vacuum area then put in some CO2 and some chlorine and then build tepidizer.

That should hold 870+ oil pressure and is not that hard to make:

Also very important: There is a reason why everyone builds this so the gas on the right side and not on the left. The power connection of the tepidizer is on the left side. If you build it the other way around then the wire connecting to it easily gets destroyed while heating up.

I am new to this late game exploit fun, so let me list my understanding and someone please correct me if I am wrong:

- The tepidizer is kept half submerge in oil:

+ This let the oil cool the tepidizer down, stopping it from overheating

+ This let the tepidizer to heat up the gas half of it to super high temperature

- The super hot gas heats up the metal tile via the tempshift plates.

- The now super hot metal tile now boils the oil that trickle down on it

- The oil becomes petroleum, releasing natural gas

- The petroleum then also boils into natural gas

- Conveniently the hot natural gas on its way out also pre-heat the oil coming in

- The natural gas is fed to the generators

- Generators generate CO2

- Slickster munch on the CO2 and releasing oil via black magic

- New oil immediately cool down the tepidized oil, via broken mechanic magic

The water-boiling-then-cooling system on the upper side is just to make further use of the heat, but not actually involved in the power/oil generating loop.

Is that pretty much everything going on in this loop?

Also a few questions:

- I ran the save file OP shared for a while and it seems oil is building up in the gas room. This means the flow should be slower, right?

- Do the slicksters produce more oil than consumed?

- Could the slicksters eventually die off from the low temperature? The wiki says keep them above 35.

- Is there a way to actually calculate the right number of slicksters, the right flow of the oil valve, or is this just pretty much trial and error?

3 hours ago, kouromaro said:

- Could the slicksters eventually die off from the low temperature? The wiki says keep them above 35.

They can. But there is almost a vacuum constantly were they are so they dont get cool down fast. But I guess they eventually can die off.

The biggest problem is if you get to much CO2. Then they cant poop it out and the oil get to hot for the tepedzier to run.

The water-boiling-then-cooling system on the upper side is just to make further use of the heat, but not actually involved in the power/oil generating loop.

It is too cool down the Gas if you dont do it the system will overheat and break the pumps. Later system I have put in a temp sensor to regulate the tepedizer because I run in to heat issues. 

- Is there a way to actually calculate the right number of slicksters, the right flow of the oil valve, or is this just pretty much trial and error?

For the oil it is simple you put in as much oil as the natural gas generators uses. You need to prime the system so that pump get enuf gas run constantly. In my system it is 480 g/s. 60 g/s for each natura gas generator. 

For slicksters I did some test. But I dont remember the numbers. And it is better to have slicksters trapped in pneumatic doors.

98ED793FA25060E68915F10BF8B93E352C473C9A

This is how it looks now. I have done a few modifications. 

Friends.sav

I havent play this base more. So there is only a few more cycles.

Archived