Caves Beta - September 18th Update

Does anyone know if you can spawn a cave entrance in an existing DST non-dedicated save file and play Caves that way? Or does it have to be play on a dedicated server?

Nope. Server has to be dedicated multilevel with the master and slave server. It's either that or playing with the caves only preset.

Not sure if this is the place to provide feedback but, Flint sometimes does not spawn. Only managed to find flint lying around on my 4th attempt of caves. (had to wait for earthquake on my other attempts when it was very late.

@Leviand,

can you explain me when you say start both manually?

it's without batch file? can you just try to remove -lan please an test again?

I don't understand why you need to use the commands that you described me on the server, because normally just stop both batch file, if you want to stop servers

By manually i mean via console (ms dos), I launch commands by typing them, I've note created a batch file yet, but nothing changes if started manually.

If I remove -lan , server doesn't stars telling me that I don't have server token, but i don't need it atm because i wanna test game in lan with friends ...

[00:00:13]: [200] Account Failed (6): "E_INVALID_TOKEN"[00:00:13]: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![00:00:13]: !!!! Your Server Will Not Start !!!![00:00:13]: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use commands manually because I used to type so much code, and I don't create batch untill everything is working :p

Btw ignore this part, that's for sure not the source of problem

@Maris,

are you sure Maris?

because I have already give my steamid when i help other people in section server dedicated of forum

and everyone finds me and added me without problems even though my profile was private

http://steamcommunity.com/search/?text=ToNiO&x=0&y=0#page=2&filter=users&text=ToNiO

normally, if he has account on steam can even added me with my private profile

• Developer

ps: @Ipsquiggle , i've just found a bug: on this last release, if i start any server (even if hosted with DST client or dedicated), a mac client can't see the game via browse game --> LAN . I'm on windows 10.

Thanks for reporting this.

no problem im here for help community and devs :-)

And we appreciate it! :D

I was in the surface and my friend died in the caves, the countdown to restart the world starts, I went back to the caves fast and revived my friend, I would like to ask, is it an error? If this countdown reach 0, what happens? Only cave restarts?

another question is about chester, I was with him in my inventory, I used the command c_save(), joined in the caves e did go back to surface (I made it to see if was working) after it, I close the servers, when I opened again, my friend found chester walking around a specific area (next the cave entrance) but the eye bone was not with me anymore, fortunately we removed all items from chester and keep the game.

I've tried too, went down to the caves and travel back to surface by another stair, (who we doesn't opened in the surface) my friend was disconnect trying, but I did, I go up to surface and have spawned beside the cave entrance, but it was closed.

Concerning world reset: We're still working on a solution for this. Thanks for reporting these issues, we're working on it!

Hi,

Don't know if this is bug or not, we found that pigs and birds will not wake up during the day light under cave. It would be less fun if bird cage/pig house can't be used in cave (in single player version they both work).

Aah, didn't realized. Thanks for reporting!

Well, I've just done a 4 hour run with my girlfriend on a dedicated server with caves linked.

Two issues we encountered:

• When going from the overworld to the caves server, everything is fine, but when going from the cave server back to the overworld when max players have been reached, will give a "server is full" message. I believe someone also had the same issue. The workaround for me at the moment is to have 2x more player slots (4 slots for 2 players) so that the server can timeout and disconnect our players when we change server.
  • It takes multiple connects during log in to connect to the cave server (if the player is in the cave). The server will just fail to connect the player. Not sure why this is happening.

Cool, we'll take a closer look at these scenarios. Thanks!

• Developer

The season of spore generation in dense mushtree forest causes huge lag spikes. I guess it needs to be tweaked to reduce network overloads.

Thanks for reporting this.

Not sure if its been reported already but Wickerbottom needs the science machine to craft things (was looking at lantern)

Strange! I'll look into it.

Here are some ideas. Because you can get most overworld resources I thought of a way to get them without cheating. Well here it is:

Boons for caves! I never find any skeletons or set pieces yet so i thought it would be nice to have some. That way you can get things like beefalo hats and walking canes. That way you can get must-have things on caves only without spawning stuff in.

Eggs! I'm sure you guys can think of an animal that lives in caves that has nests. I'm thinking what if there is a creature that has a nest with 3 eggs apiece.

Gears! No gears in caves only. Tough. How about tumbleweeds underground? That makes gears possible to get among other things.

Yep, I definitely want to get boons into the caves, they're lots of fun in the overworld. As far as other new items and objects for the caves, we'll have to see how it goes. But thanks for the suggestions!

Bug: When starving and having that red circle effect, entering caves or surface and eating afterwards. Red effect will not go away even when no longer starving.

Ack, thanks for reporting this.

Miner hat durability seem to be glitched.

I notice one of my "dead" miner hat shows that it has 1% remaining durability.

Strange! Looking into it.

By manually i mean via console (ms dos), I launch commands by typing them, I've note created a batch file yet, but nothing changes if started manually.

If I remove -lan , server doesn't stars telling me that I don't have server token, but i don't need it atm because i wanna test game in lan with friends ...

[00:00:13]: [200] Account Failed (6): "E_INVALID_TOKEN"[00:00:13]: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![00:00:13]: !!!! Your Server Will Not Start !!!![00:00:13]: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use commands manually because I used to type so much code, and I don't create batch untill everything is working :razz:

Btw ignore this part, that's for sure not the source of problem

So maybe -lan mode is not working at all, hm? I'll look into it. In any case, for now you can make an online server (generate a token and everything), but then create a steam group or use a password to restrict who can join. We'll look into this though. Thanks for all your patience in trying to work through this! (and @!)

Ghosts can no longer use wormholes, not sure if you already know that

Hmm, odd. Looking into it. Thanks!

I had something really strange happen on our server. It was about spring time and all of sudden there was invisible manure left on the ground. When hitting space bar in a certain area of that invisible manure, the game client would stall and go to a black screen. After awhile I thought rebooting the server would fix this issue. Apparently it did not and actually kept the overworld server from rebooting at all. Giving us this error report. http://paste.ee/p/NCtU3

Also was Pengull's behavior changed? They seem to attack you without doing anything to them? I was playing as Wendy when just being around them made them become aggressive towards me.

Ah I forgot to mention that Chester couldn't follow into the cave. Maybe making another chester-like entity in cave and ruin would be fun and useful I suggest.

When you leave a server you drop the eye bone/gloomer's flower (assuming you have one). When you go into caves, you "leave" the overworld server. hence you drop your eye bone automatically. You can find chester in caves in vanilla making it possible to still have chester in caves. 

I had something really strange happen on our server. It was about spring time and all of sudden there was invisible manure left on the ground. When hitting space bar in a certain area of that invisible manure, the game client would stall and go to a black screen. After awhile I thought rebooting the server would fix this issue. Apparently it did not and actually kept the overworld server from rebooting at all. Giving us this error report. http://paste.ee/p/NCtU3

Also was Pengull's behavior changed? They seem to attack you without doing anything to them? I was playing as Wendy when just being around them made them become aggressive towards me.

To my knowledge, pengulls are neutral and will never attack unless provoked. Something like this happened to my friend before.

Third post in a row but i don't know how to to use multi quote, sorry.

So maybe -lan mode is not working at all, hm? I'll look into it. In any case, for now you can make an online server (generate a token and everything), but then create a steam group or use a password to restrict who can join. We'll look into this though. Thanks for all your patience in trying to work through this! (and @!)

i think same, but it's look like Leviand want play in same network with friend

so im not sure it's possible with overworld and cave

SOOOO GUYS, Tonio and me finally found the problem! SERVER TOKEN!

I thought that if server was started in lan, server token is useless: but even if started in lan, that's necessary!
So: 
1) Remove -lan command
2) Server token error!
3) Generate server token
4) Retry
5) TADAAAN ! Ready to play!

Thank again to Tonio for superhelp, time, patience and kindness!

Let's find more bugs now! ;)

Ipsquiggle , I can confirm now: without -lan the game works perfectly, with -lan setting, caves are disconnected from master server!

I suspect the loopback interface being considered as non-part of the local network. But maybe I'm wrong. ;)

(Can't test on two different machines atm.)

Okay, so this might Help some people that are having issues connecting to the slave server.

I was getting the timed out error when trying to connect to my slave server even though log showed everything was good.

log and stuff was posted a couple days ago. 

Anyhow what i found out was. back when ded servers started i had to route my public IP back to the nic card so i had my private ip and public in the settings this got the ded server working  on same comp I was playing on.

well i never removed my public IP so this was causing the time out to slave server.

HOPE this HELPS some of yall   GL

Tried to survive in caves only... there's almost no rocks, I got one piece of flint after 30 or so minutes, and found one bunny... yea.

Archived