Something has to be done. I own DS and ROG on both PS4 and PC. I am an advanced player, I like to get into the nitty gritty and get to the complicated things. I am so sick of these trolls coming in to a 100+ day server and ruining everything. Ive been playing this game for a VERY long time, and this I completely ruining my experience, im half tempted to resign.

suggestion

Create a log of users that have joined your server, so that they can be reported. These people DO NOT deserve keys.

second suggestion

Make an undo command

This will promote cheating, but what is the difference when we have access to the console? I am not a cheater and refuse to pull it up. that is why I just start over when everything gets smashed and burnt down.

assistance is appreciated, I love Klei and want to remain a customer. The development on this game has been so wonderful.

I Agree with what almighty is saying about griefing. There should be a log of users that have joined your server. I too have played this game a very long time( single player)  ROG mostly. I am an end game player.

I have been hosted a lot of servers recently the past 2 or 3 weeks and half the time, some greifer comes along whether it be at the start or into about 20-30 days of the server running and either destroys everything or takes all the valuable items that we have taken time to collect. This is annoying. Now im not to say that i cant just password my server, but I like to play with new people and as this is a beta atm, im more inclined to just play with strangers rather than play with people I trust atm with the current state of where the beta is. 

I love this game, i know Klei is trying its hardest to satisfy eveyone, but this needs to be delt with.

I do understand that, but IMO it needs to have some sort of regulation. Im sure mostly none of the far in game things are not being tested due to this. If I was a griefer, I would choose a PvP game to try to mess up (not that I would).

Closed beta is for testing in order to spot flaws and errors or test out mechanics, not for people to play around and enjoy as if it were the full game.

I'd rather have griefers in the closed beta than have the full version become a griefer-fest because it was poorly playtested.

I think you are missing the point here.

Yes you are right 'Griefers are needed in the testing because they can expose how big the current griefing potential is.'

It is tested, and the OP came with an idea to reduce the griefing potential. As it is expected and eventually much needed. 

And it will be tested with more ideas implemented or suggested, and throughout the beta experience everyone will be able to say something, and the developers can get ideas from, to create a good environment where in griefing is not that big of a deal anymore.

I think you are missing the point here.

Yes you are right 'Griefers are needed in the testing because they can expose how big the current griefing potential is.'

It is tested, and the OP came with an idea to reduce the griefing potential. As it is expected and eventually much needed.

And it will be tested with more ideas implemented or suggested, and throughout the beta experience everyone will be able to say something, and the developers can get ideas from, to create a good environment where in griefing is not that big of a deal anymore.

Uh, I don't think I ever mentioned going against his idea.

Griefers are needed in the testing because they can expose how big the current griefing potential is.

Please get off this bandwagon that everyone seems to be jumping on every time this issue arises. It is easy enough for ANYONE, not just a "griefer", to realise the griefing potential. This argument of "griefers are needed" is total crap, Klei know the full potential, I mean they are making the game.

I actually have stopped playing DST because of this issue. It's very easy for Klei to put in place features such as an "easier to use" kick/ban feature and a rollback feature, like literally would take no more than 30 minutes to code in.

Have Klei addressed this issue whatsoever? If so could anyone link it?

Please get off this bandwagon that everyone seems to be jumping on every time this issue arises. It is easy enough for ANYONE, not just a "griefer", to realise the griefing potential. This argument of "griefers are needed" is total crap, Klei know the full potential, I mean they are making the game.

Why would they need a closed beta in the first place if they already know what they're doing?

The reason for the closed beta is feedback and testing, not to be played like a full game.

I'm not against anti-griefing measures such as kick/ban commands in servers, however. But if it comes to the point of revoking beta access from griefers, then that wouldn't be wise as they actually play a bigger role in the development than those who just play the beta for fun and never give any negative (constructive) criticism nor reports flaws and errors.

@magnetica kick and ban are very easy to use now. They are buttons on the scoreboard.

@Almightysoul There are plans to add an optional server rollback when someone gets banned. However, I think a problem that exists currently is someone can wreck your base, then leave before you can ban them, so your suggestion for a log of joined players is still very important, although I think they're on it.

@J192 I think that sometimes it's just better to drop an argument than to keep going. I'm not saying you don't have a point to make or honor to defend, or whatnot, but this is really sidetracking the thread and for what, to preserve their image of you as a rational being? I'd just edit my original post to add a disclaimer...

We don't have whitelists yet right? Or in this case maybe the option to toggle a whitelist after you've got your group that you're enjoying playing with? I understand that it'd be nice to be able to just have random people pop in and out buuuuut after day 100 it's sad to lose your progress.

We have a few things coming. They are far enough along that I think it's ok to just let you guys know they are coming up pretty soon. 

We have "whitelisting" which is a little more robust than just a white list. Basically you will be able to set your server so that ONLY people who are on your steam friends list can play. In addition to this, you can password protect it so that they also need a password. So, not just anybody on your friendslist can join. This should give you direct control of who can join.

We have ban and rollback. No specific details until it is finished, but basically, this is world snapshots that is a failsafe for when something goes really bad. You will choose somebody to ban, and then also choose if you would like to rollback a certain period of time as well. This won't prevent griefing, but it will certainly take the sting out of somebody being a jerk. A player history is being added so that you have the ability to see who has been around, and handle that as appropriate. 

Then there is the blacklist, which is pretty straight forward. 

We want people to have the ability to keep their servers open to the public, these are all high priority items, so you should see all of them by the next content update and in the hotfixes between now and then. 

For the record, griefing is not allowed. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should. However, it is our belief that the server host should be the one to enforce and set the rules on their server, so our aim is to support that. We are very focused on this goal, and it has been one of our highest priorities since beta started. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you JoeW! So far everyone I've played with has been really great, but I just experienced my first griefer :sad:

I know the rollback is on the way, but I'm very happy to hear that you'll also be introducing a blacklist as well. That will make it much easier than starting up a server and re-banning every time. Just curious, do you anticipate the blacklist to be a function directly tied to banning, or a separate interface?

Also, for those not aware, if the person logged out before you could ban, you can gain their Steam name and their ID in your log.txt file (you have to be hosting, of course). You have to open it after you've stopped playing/hosting, and it can be found at: Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether

Nice tip @imsomony  

It should be an entirely separate interface, I believe. You should be able to ban anybody you want, it shouldn't be something that is done strictly after the fact. 

We want proactive and reactive solutions to bad behavior so, like whitelisting, a blacklist should be something you would do to avoid problems, rather than just reacting to a problem. 

But, it should also be noted that the additions I describe above aren't the end of hosting tools, just what we have coming soon. I expect that we will be adding things here and there for quite a while. =)

@imsomony You don't have to open it after you stop playing/hosting, it writes to log.txt throughout. Not sure about other editors, but I use Notepad++, so what I need to do there is right-click on its tab and select "Reload" to get it to update based on stuff that's been written meanwhile.

Will actions be taken against the griefer outside servers? (e.g.: revoking beta access)

No. JoeW has said several times now that it's up to the host to enforce anything, and presumably outside of breaking the ToS, the devs won't handle any of that.

Something has to be done. I own DS and ROG on both PS4 and PC. I am an advanced player, I like to get into the nitty gritty and get to the complicated things. I am so sick of these trolls coming in to a 100+ day server and ruining everything. Ive been playing this game for a VERY long time, and this I completely ruining my experience, im half tempted to resign.

suggestion

Create a log of users that have joined your server, so that they can be reported. These people DO NOT deserve keys.

second suggestion

Make an undo command

This will promote cheating, but what is the difference when we have access to the console? I am not a cheater and refuse to pull it up. that is why I just start over when everything gets smashed and burnt down.

assistance is appreciated, I love Klei and want to remain a customer. The development on this game has been so wonderful.

Here's some things i've seen with greifers on my time playing DST.  no solutions, just some problem's ive seen

1) Scorched earth

• Someone will get on with a 'willow' character and proceed to either burn down everything, or will systematically search for and burn every berry bush they can get their hands on.
  • Large forests are particularly prime targets.

2) The troll thieves:

• Someone will wander into my base and take all my food, or steal all my stuff before hopping out of the server.  Though it hasn't happened to me personally, i've seen people also burn down tree/bush farms, and steal farm food/everything in the icebox before leaving. 

3) Roving Killers

• Someone who just jumps on a PvP server to try to kill as many people as possible before being taken down.

Not making a judgment call here, but this is some of the stuff that happens.

Archived