When loading: game is frozen / resources are gone / can't build

Masterpintsman
  • Pending

This is less a bug report but more a pointer toward a solution:

When you load a game the simulation is paused, this leads to the duplicants not following commands, the resources seem to be gone (as the simulation needs to run a bit to update the numbers) and one is unable to build (dito).

The solution to all this is what I have posted in don't know how many bug reports so far and is simple:

The game is paused, press space to continue...

Steps to Reproduce
Load a save, don't know that it's only paused, open a new bug on the tracker.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

User Feedback

1 minute ago, Pancakie said:

This is a known bug that they are working on.

He knows that, he's explaining what the bug is and how to fix it.

• Like 3

Share this comment

In the hopes that others who experience it will see this and just press space instead of posting yet another bug about it.

• Like 4

Share this comment

i loaded a new world the dupes selection screen they were purple and they did not move i thought that was on but when i loaded the game all i got was the build number on top of screen and rest was black. i then alt tabbed then closed the game and reloaded the world and then i took these pictures to help with showing what has happend. it has only happend to me since the thermal update hit and also when i tried to hop in the thermal preview 

to also show i am really into this game here is my super base. i built this base was built with out thermal update

srry about the long message just feel like sharing how this game has been.

sinserly 

Hellsfury(engifam)

20170330101217_1.jpg

20170330101217_2.jpg

20170330101215_1.jpg

20170328150029_1.jpg

Share this comment

Experienced the same "issue" as well; however, unpausing the game (pressing space) did not fix the issue, even after I let it sit for a good 30 seconds to a minute. So I just had to wait about another minute or so (with the game back on pause) for the resources and whatnot to load back into the game. After that, all was well(-ish).

Share this comment

i have collected a little more pics for information use it if needed i have no clue what caused it not to work for me but it only happens when i have any of the thermal upgrade update turned on (currently i am playing in the archive beta mode cause its only way to run it)

strangest thing is normally when choosing dupes they are animated in the older version/ archive version but they are not moving in thermal update also as you can see they are purple missing texture maybe?  if i find more bugs ill share em hope you all have better gaming experiences then me 

20170401184821_1.jpg

20170401184902_1.jpg

20170401184837_1.jpg

Share this comment

I just bought the game via Steam and I'm in a similar bind as the above players.

When I start a new game all duplicants look purple and all have the same model. When I continue I'm stuck on a black screen with the build version at the top, nothing happens no matter what I press/click or how long I wait.

Through a combination of ALT+TAB, using the task manager and reloading I can sort of get in the game but most of the assets are missing. I cannot see any of the duplicants or buildings, only the surroundings.

The game is literally completely unplayable :(

Help?

Edited by JoeBlade

Share this comment

I have the same issue and its not because the game is paused. Please let me know if there is any diagnostic information I can provide.

• I start up ONI and create a new game.
  • I get the generating map loading screen
  • I choose my dupes and they have a weird purple hue like in hellsfury_engifam's 2nd post.
  • I click Embark and the screen goes black with only the game version displayed at the top.
  • I hit the space bar as suggested here and nothing happens.
  • I exit out of the game and relaunch
  • I have the option to resume the game
  • Map loads but there are no dupes or portal as seen in hellsfury_engifam's 1st post.
  • I hit the space bar to unpause the game and I'm still with no dupes or portal but the game is running
  • I hit esc to exit the game and no menu is displayed

Share this comment

Looks like there is an Json read exception on my CPU name in the log? I have an intel i7 975. Not sure if this may be the cause? The previous build I would get an error sating my hardware is outdated when the core i7 975 has more than enough power. This update i saw in the notes that it was fixed. So maybe that fix is causing this?

JsonReaderException: Invalid property identifier character: ,. Path 'CPU', line 1, position 288.
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseProperty () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ReadInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateDictionary (IDictionary dictionary, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonDictionaryContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerProperty, System.String id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateObject (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerMember, System.Object existingValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateValueInternal (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerMember, System.Object existingValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

output_log.txt

Edited by Dolbyac3

Share this comment

I've quickly scanned my output_log.txt and I've located the exact same exception and stack trace as Dolbyac3.

Looking further through the output_log.txt file I did also notice this message:
GameObject Spawner is missing component "KPrefabID"
It's followed by this stack trace each time:
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log(LogType, String, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object, Object)
Output:LogWarningWithObj(Object, Object[]) (at C:\jenkins\workspace\Release_SimGame\Assets\Plugins\Output.cs:69)
SaveLoadRoot:LoadInternal(IReader) (at C:\jenkins\workspace\Release_SimGame\Assets\scripts\components\SaveLoadRoot.cs:193)
SaveLoadRoot:Load(GameObject, IReader) (at C:\jenkins\workspace\Release_SimGame\Assets\scripts\components\SaveLoadRoot.cs:132)
SaveManager:Load(IReader) (at C:\jenkins\workspace\Release_SimGame\Assets\scripts\components\SaveManager.cs:257)
SaveLoader:Load(String) (at C:\jenkins\workspace\Release_SimGame\Assets\scripts\game\SaveLoader.cs:514)
SaveLoader:CheckForLoad() (at C:\jenkins\workspace\Release_SimGame\Assets\scripts\game\SaveLoader.cs:103)
SaveLoader:OnSpawn() (at C:\jenkins\workspace\Release_SimGame\Assets\scripts\game\SaveLoader.cs:90)
KMonoBehaviour:Spawn() (at C:\jenkins\workspace\Release_SimGame\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\KMonoBehaviour.cs:153)
KMonoBehaviour:Start() (at C:\jenkins\workspace\Release_SimGame\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\KMonoBehaviour.cs:129)

(Filename: C:/jenkins/workspace/Release_SimGame/Assets/Plugins/Output.cs Line: 69)

It's just a warning, not an exception, but it does occur five times in a row in the log file.

Share this comment

I've found a workaround that at least allows me to play the game, albeit not the latest version. This probably only applies to the Steam release although there may be similar solutions for other platforms/standalone versions (assuming there are any?)
This can also be of help to players who aren't all too happy with the Thermal Update for whatever reason.

Procedure:

• Go to your Steam library and locate Oxygen Not Included but don't start it
  • Right-click on the game entry in the library list and select Properties... from the contextual menu
  • Click on the rightmost tab labelled Betas in the dialog that opened up
  • In the dropdown list at the top (labelled Select the beta your would like to opt into) select archive_branch
  • The Steam client will start downloading a few seconds later and once finished you'll be back on the pre-Thermal update version

For me this version is playable, which goes to show the issues I and the other users in this thread are experiencing are Thermal Update specific.
Note that you can switch back to the Thermal Update version through the same procedure, just select thermal_update_preview in step 4 instead (or opt out from beta, it amounts to the same)

Share this comment

Hi

I have a texture problem that does not let me see the people and when I entered the game I see everything pink, also the home screen is frozen

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_2.png

Share this comment

Same problem, a played in the afternoon and now (there was a update)  the game locks after loading and crash

20170612231643_1.jpg

Share this comment

Please help me with this, if this is the wrong place to post this please forgive me and say me where I should post it.

First, I have the oil beta active, but I have already played with it very well and nothing like this happens before, this started yesterday, after my game starting to say that I have a build more recent that what klei has released yet. Second, without the beta the game works fine, of course, but I just wanted to start a new world with the oil things and I can't, 2 days ago :(

To make this even easier I opted to just record a very short video. What I show is:

•     I open the game (you can see my build) and I start a new game
  •     I see the generating world screen just fine, as usual
  •     I used to select my favourite dupes but now I know I will not be able to play anyway, I just picked the default initial 3 persons
  •     Then the game crashes when I click embark

OxygenNotIncluded 2017-09-27 00-03-26-576.mp4OxygenNotIncluded 2017-09-27 00-02-10-033.mp4

•     So, I close the game (I needed to stop the video here a bit and restart the recording) and open the game again and click on the file saved, you can tell is the same I just created by the name of it.
  •     Then the bug happens: I don't have initial base, nor colony or portal or anything... so, as I have the debug mode activated I tryed something
  •     I unlocked the map and see that the rest of the world loaded fine, and I can tell, as I show in the video, that if I try to print the starting base template I can see the problem: somehow it doesn't work. More specifically, it printed it but instead of doing it correctly it deconstructed everything at the same time, so we can see the elements fall to the floor, even the starting food. Now while I write this I wonder if maybe I did something wrong with the debug mode? something I can disable and then I could play again? I know that you are not able to deconstruct the portal, even with debug mode so if it would be that kind of problem it still don't make sense that I don't have even portal
  •     In the end of the video I checked some geyser, because one time, only one (the first few times I experienced all this, yesterday I think), when I see for the rest of the world I saw that it was empty, I mean it had the biomes and water and all but not constructions (I am not 100% sure about this, I mean about the ruins, I don't remember), but especially not geysers, and I mean... I saw the neutrinum base of the geysers in place, but no geyser above, and I do am 100% sure about that because it called my attention so much that I remeber that, but I forgot to take pictures :o and I think I deleted that save or something because I can't find it... nor reproduce that exact same case of this bug.

OxygenNotIncluded 2017-09-27 00-03-26-576.mp4

So... as you can intuit, I am pretty new at posting in klei forums, and english is not my native language, but I am an open person and if you have the patient to read all this and can help me please tell me what else about information do you need to investigate this problem I would be very happy to provide you whatever txt file is needed.

A huge thanks in advance, to both the developers of klei, I love them in friendly way, and also to the great and warm comunity we have here because you guys are the half of the great meaning of klei, its player base. Whitout you, and me I guess, Klei couldn't be what it is. And I really apreciate that this exist ♥

P.S: here is what I suppose you may need:

DxDiag.txt

Lunar Cosmos.sav

Dreamland.sav

output_log.txt

Thanks!

Edited by YiinHikari

Share this comment

Why not just add new option in the Settings to start a load game in paused mode to completely solve players''s confusion.

As player we'd like to see the game loaded in playable state rather than paused state, only the devs use it I guess?

Edited by Calvin Valerian

Share this comment

So, this bug has been known for over 2 years. Are there any plans to fix it? Especially since the game has been 'released'...

Share this comment

I had this problem and the space bar fixed it ....thank you :) But lets hope they sort it out for real soon lol

Share this comment

On 8/2/2019 at 12:28 PM, Ambaire said:

So, this bug has been known for over 2 years. Are there any plans to fix it? Especially since the game has been 'released'...

I'm not exactly sure this is a bug.  Rather, I think it is an artifact of improving the impact of loading a game.  Many builds back, and for a long time prior to that, loading a saved game would take forever.  The worst I clocked was a 1500 cycle base that took nearly 10 minutes to load. 

I believe that at the time, calculations were done while loading, as elements were added to the map.  I could be wrong.  However, it is clear that as of the current game, no calculations are done on the loaded game UNTIL it is unpaused and cycles start to tick.  In other words, each point in the map grid is loaded from the save, but pathfinding and other mechanics aren't processed until the ticks start to run.  So you get "bugs" like a bristlebloom farm claiming there isn't any light or water or atmosphere, despite all being present.  Or an inability to build something despite the resources being available.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3f13e3371f1f9083b66f512bca1062f5.png

image.thumb.png.caf949b6d3811db39a2216c23b64a74b.png

image.png.5c0ce67a92917fa757a23decd016c48a.png

Anyway, it appears that the save is loaded into memory, but the simulation doesn't start (and thus no calculations are done) until you hit space to unpause.  The calculations are done over the next several seconds, instead of all at once, making a smoother initial start to the game especially for long cycle or very large bases.

The easiest solution may be to simply add a pop-up box that says "Game loaded" and when you click "OK" to close it, the simulation unpauses and starts.  There will still be a couple seconds where things will appear wonky, but unless a player immediately re-pauses the game, things should work as expected.  Personally, I like how things currently work, but I do understand where the confusion comes from.

Share this comment

I would say a (lazy, yay!) solution would be to (in code) unpause the simulation and pause it again silently after load, to fill out all the numbers correctly. A prompt telling u the paused game is paused doesn't feel like a solution to me XD just sayin!

Edited by outseeker

Share this comment

Good day, I read everything described above, but unfortunately I did not find a solution. After 200 cycles, they stop building from igneous rock, the game says that it does not exist, although 200k units are displayed in the database. pause or restart the game does not help. are there any other solutions to the problem?

Share this comment

On 9/30/2021 at 5:41 PM, Svetlena said:

Good day, I read everything described above, but unfortunately I did not find a solution. After 200 cycles, they stop building from igneous rock, the game says that it does not exist, although 200k units are displayed in the database. pause or restart the game does not help. are there any other solutions to the problem?

Maybe they are behind some walls or somewhere dupes can't access. You may click on the item in resource menu and see where those igneous rock are.

Share this comment

maybe it would help if the game starts a new colony the same way it loads one. either both start while running.(I wouldn't recommand that) or both ways start paused.
then one learns about the pause function in the first run and is likely to look for one too.

someone who never played games before will think it's rather strange that the game doesn't respond the same way upon load and "start new colony"

Share this comment