Does klei hate wendy?

2 hours ago, ooheee said:

I feel like the reason why Wendy isn't very powerful in both events is because she's a fairly popular character in the main survival game. She's a really great character for beginners especially and a lot of longterm players can still enjoy playing as her. Not everyone plays characters purely out of "usefulness" or Wickerbottom would make up 80% of the survival playerbase, which is obviously not the case. Wendy's definitely one of the top used players in surivival (and they even chose her to make a Funko Pop out of!) sooo making her more useless in events I suppose encourages people to use different characters. Woodie, for example - Woodie is one of the least popular players in survival but has great perks in events, which encourages more people to play him under these different scenarios. 

But she isn't the only popular Character: Webber, for example, Is very common. I see him more often than Wendy, even (This might be just me, though) But still: He is the best dart DPS user. 

my thoughs on abigail...

me as wicker.. i go up for perfect 5 petri... abigail decides to aggro the turtles cuz ofc she does...

**** up timing and petri...

ty useless ghost

2 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Mmmhm!

all-wendy_forge-win

max dmg in that party comp doesnt mean wendy is a good dps character overall.. it means only that in that party comp she was able to only concentrate on main dps role... depending on party any character can do the highest dmg

4 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Mmmhm!

all-wendy_forge-win

Just because a party of people decide to use her for the memes doesn't mean she's good.

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

max dmg in that party comp doesnt mean wendy is a good dps character overall.. it means only that in that party comp she was able to only concentrate on main dps role... depending on party any character can do the highest dmg

And yet most willows I end up teamed up with get around 60k-65k on average. Mainly because of her fire damage buff.

In my opinion...

I don't think Klei hates Wendy. Nor do i think it matters. Nobody can hate Wendy as much as she does herself, the poor little girl :/

It's just that being physically and gameplay-terms weak fits into her character dynamic as a morose child (or teen, or young adult, take that as you will) protected by the aggressive specter of her elder sister. Thus, the devs have built her strengths and weaknesses around her character, making her but a slightly-above average or mostly just situational character with interesting challenges and weaknesses - which can be frustrating at times - of her own that her mains - myself included - have to face.

Abby's damage in Forge is still rather disconcertingly and abysmally low though. I was expecting a buff :/ The original ten damage would have been much better.

But that won't stop me from using her every now and then and look back to the days when the two woeful sisters were the characters which really helped me learn Don't Starve's idiosyncrasies. Though i main Wick now, I still vividly recall the days where Abigail destroyed swarms of spiders and bees, packs of hounds, and yes, even townfuls of Werepigs, to aid her sister. She's been such a big help, especially in Shipwrecked. Slaughtering Stink Rays and Bees is much easier with Abby, and all the Boat Repair Kits you get should last you a looong while.

8 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

In my opinion...

I don't think Klei hates Wendy. Nor do i think it matters. Nobody can hate Wendy as much as she does herself, the poor little girl :/

It's just that being physically and gameplay-terms weak fits into her character dynamic as a morose child (or teen, or young adult, take that as you will) protected by the aggressive specter of her elder sister. Thus, the devs have built her strengths and weaknesses around her character, making her but a slightly-above average or mostly just situational character with interesting challenges and weaknesses - which can be frustrating at times - of her own that her mains - myself included - have to face.

Abby's damage in Forge is still rather disconcertingly and abysmally low though. I was expecting a buff :/ The original ten damage would have been much better.

But that won't stop me from using her every now and then and look back to the days when the two woeful sisters were the characters which really helped me learn Don't Starve's idiosyncrasies. Though i main Wick now, I still vividly recall the days where Abigail destroyed swarms of spiders and bees, packs of hounds, and yes, even townfuls of Werepigs, to aid her sister. She's been such a big help, especially in Shipwrecked. Slaughtering Stink Rays and Bees is much easier with Abby, and all the Boat Repair Kits you get should last you a looong while.

I've never had a problem with wendy in survival, in fact she's my favorite character to use in survival, I don't mind her lower damage and abigail can be very helpful in alot of situations.

I'm mainly talking about the events, the forge and gorge, where she ends up being useless. Like in the forge basically every role she can do another character can easilly exceed her in, and abigail is more a handicap then of any help in most situations. The best use I see for abigail is for getting certain achievements where you have to either not get hit or take below a certain damage threshold before a certain wave.

I see it like this. I think many people like Wendy and especially her skins are super expensive on the market. I like her too, as people said before me, it's really helpful to have Abigail at your side to kill off small mobs. For me she is very convenient in the beginning of a survival game and generally I have the feeling that she's a loved character by the community. Willow on the other hand is more the opposite. Often gets mentioned when people talk about trolls on pubs and her being a weak character etc. Same feeling I have with Woodie. Don't get me wrong, I like all characters and this is merely me seeing that some unloved characters get actually some love in these events. Woodie is almost in every game and very important overall. Same with Willow, I see more games with Willow (playing her myself) than I see games with a Wolfgang, even though he is also a very good character for survival. In Gorge I also loved playing with Winona and while she is not super strong in either of the events, she's still fun to play. I appreciate these changes very much and hope to see more like this in the future.

10 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

I've never had a problem with wendy in survival, in fact she's my favorite character to use in survival, I don't mind her lower damage and abigail can be very helpful in alot of situations.

I'm mainly talking about the events, the forge and gorge, where she ends up being useless. Like in the forge basically every role she can do another character can easilly exceed her in, and abigail is more a handicap then of any help in most situations. The best use I see for abigail is for getting certain achievements where you have to either not get hit or take below a certain damage threshold before a certain wave.

I see... I kinda missed the point there, thanks for clarifying :)

At best, in both events, she's just situational and her utility might have been massively decreased, but that doesn't make her entirely useless per se. 

Only if this unbalancing act happens a third time in a third event shall i start to conceive that Klei despises our poor, sad little lady.

11 hours ago, disies said:

I see it like this. I think many people like Wendy and especially her skins are super expensive on the market. I like her too, as people said before me, it's really helpful to have Abigail at your side to kill off small mobs. For me she is very convenient in the beginning of a survival game and generally I have the feeling that she's a loved character by the community. Willow on the other hand is more the opposite. Often gets mentioned when people talk about trolls on pubs and her being a weak character etc. Same feeling I have with Woodie. Don't get me wrong, I like all characters and this is merely me seeing that some unloved characters get actually some love in these events. Woodie is almost in every game and very important overall. Same with Willow, I see more games with Willow (playing her myself) than I see games with a Wolfgang, even though he is also a very good character for survival. In Gorge I also loved playing with Winona and while she is not super strong in either of the events, she's still fun to play. I appreciate these changes very much and hope to see more like this in the future.

There is a little "but" there. Both Willow and Woodie are very popular, is the player's that play Willow that are "unpopular", and in the case of Woodie, what people "hate-to-love" is how useless his werebeaver form can be save for very niche uses, like exploring caves, and how obnoxious it can be to be werebeaver AND insane (which considering the werebeaver's sanity loss, is almost certain).

19 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

Just because a party of people decide to use her for the memes doesn't mean she's good.

Good?  No.  Adequate.  Wendy is adequate.  Anything Willow or Webber can do, Wendy can do adequately well.  Like 80% as well.

You can't say the same for Wes vs. Woody, since Woody can cancel enemy attacks and rhino buffs.  Wes can't do that even adequately.  And yet, earlier today I was on a team that won with a Wes runner.  Barely sufficient.  Wes is barely sufficient.

13 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

The best use I see for abigail is for getting certain achievements where you have to either not get hit or take below a certain damage threshold before a certain wave.

Oh, uh... I always did those with Wilson, just sort of standing away from the other players and not shooting until the pigs aggro on someone else.

The thing about Abigail in The Forge that annoys me the most is, beside the lack of usefulness overall, is her tendency to float away from the healing blossoms. Having her own will is quite charming but it gets rather annoying when you try to heal her up inbetween the waves at the early stage of the match. :dd

The next event has been predicted to be sanity / darkness based, so hopefully that should be Klei's cue to give her a spotlight when one of her basegame perks is literally slight insanity immunity to the dark..

(Other contenders being Winona for her Charlie perk, Willow for her lighter, Max for shadowy stuff??)

Imo wendy should be given debuff powers. Like a staff that creates a -damage zone for enemies or some kind of poison dart with active that massively poisons/slows a target. It would fit her aversion to direct combat. Abigail should be revived way faster... in a good game that doesnt go to 30 minutes shes dead for 2,5/3 of the time. Maybe she could have a special item that boosts abigail. Like casting auras around her or something 

Archived