how shut down a signal X seconds after he become active ?

Ok the solutions from @Neotuck, @Nativel versus the simple Buffer Gate are very different beasts.

A Buffer will delay a switch from active to standby. Outside of the delay it will have the same signal as the input.

The Filter + Memory and the Filter + XOR will only be active for the Filter duration and only during a switch from standby to active.

There are cases where you want a simple Buffer and cases where you want to detect a switch to active for a short duration. The first says "it happens" or "it doesn't happen but I'll pretend it still happens for a short while". The second can be used to say "this happened" and it doesn't care or even doesn't want to care about wether it is still happening or not.

@clickrush Maybe I read it too literally but OP specially says he wants a signal that stays active 10 seconds after a NOT gate turns the signal inactive so a simple buffer gate is the correct answer. The filter + XOR is the answer to a different question as you mention but not the one the OP asks. 

3 hours ago, DarkSlimus said:

f I  use a NOT gate the signal become inactive but how can I keep it active for 10 seconds ?

23 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

@clickrush Maybe I read it too literally but OP specially says he wants a signal that stays active 10 seconds after a NOT gate turns the signal inactive so a simple buffer gate is the correct answer. The filter + XOR is the answer to a different question as you mention but not the one the OP asks. 

3 hours ago, DarkSlimus said:

Exactly what I want to do @Nativel all my dupes make a big fiesta in your honor !!

1 hour ago, crypticorb said:

@DarkSlimus I'm curious what you plan to use this particular hold-delay-reset automation for? Any designs you're working towards?

I've got it for filling my liquid tanks. A 90s delay stops any extra petrol from passing a liquid shutoff.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

@bleeter6 And??? The OP asked the wrong question as you can clearly see. Not that it matters terribly much besides pointing out that sometimes you don't get the answer you're looking for because the question is wrong. That was my whole point, and you confirmed it.

I was questioning why you even bring this stuff up hours after OP said his post has been answered.

22 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

I was questioning why you even bring this stuff up hours after OP said his post has been answered.

it was one hour not hours

and sometimes its nice to go above and beyond when giving advise, I do the same 

3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

it was one hour not hours

That was his first post which I'm fine with. It was his second post after someone responded to him that I'm questioning. Willing to drop it tho.

Whaoo ... I never know this simple question will do all this reply : I will reply all of you, I so rarely use this forum cause I prefer don't look others stuff and learn the game by myself.

@Nativel & @Neotuck design works for me. it's the same way for me with different designs but it's what I want to do : when a signal is active keep it active only X seconds and if he always active after that cut it

@bleeter6 Sorry for my band english but I reread my question and think it's right ...

For all of you who want to know my build it's a test in a survival game, I alway play in survival so I  must make test. I will know if the entire build works in 20 cycles but I sure this part of the build work.

I have a metal volcano, inside a water pool, I want to produce some extra power with turbine when the volcano is active to preserve some natural gaz for the sleeping time of my geyser.
In the sas when there is no steam, the internal door is open to take the oxygen surplus via the void pump. I need this pump stop before the void to keep 100g oxygen (I take this value to have around 2kg in each top squares when the steam is here...

When I detect steam I close the door but I need the void pump reactivate to make the void and after that desactivate cause with big pressure some steam  filter between the closed door and reactivate the pump and after I must clean all the water in my base ... so I don't want the pump stay active. first activity period I use a switch on the electrical circuit but I must send a dupe to activate desactivate, and automated is better for me ...

here is my design, in pictures. sorry if its amateur build, I'm an autodidact and try to do only my own designs ... But I'm agree with all advice you can give me to improve it!
63B69152506D45DBD3EECB9E1867F077623E9396D43633888C821911B5499FF9FFBE2AD3808A7FDF

2 minutes ago, DarkSlimus said:

Whaoo ... I never know this simple question will do all this reply : I will reply all of you, I so rarely use this forum cause I prefer don't look others stuff and learn the game by myself.

@Nativel & @Neotuck design works for me. it's the same way for me with different designs but it's what I want to do : when a signal is active keep it active only X seconds and if he always active after that cut it

@bleeter6 Sorry for my band english but I reread my question and think it's right ...

For all of you who want to know my build it's a test in a survival game, I alway play in survival so I  must make test. I will know if the entire build works in 20 cycles but I sure this part of the build work.

I have a metal volcano, inside a water pool, I want to produce some extra power with turbine when the volcano is active to preserve some natural gaz for the sleeping time of my geyser.
In the sas when there is no steam, the internal door is open to take the oxygen surplus via the void pump. I need this pump stop before the void to keep 100g oxygen (I take this value to have around 2kg in each top squares when the steam is here...

When I detect steam I close the door but I need the void pump reactivate to make the void and after that desactivate cause with big pressure some steam  filter between the closed door and reactivate the pump and after I must clean all the water in my base ... so I don't want the pump stay active. first activity period I use a switch on the electrical circuit but I must send a dupe to activate desactivate, and automated is better for me ...

here is my design, in pictures. sorry if its amateur build, I'm an autodidact and try to do only my own designs ... But I'm agree with all advice you can give me to improve it!
63B69152506D45DBD3EECB9E1867F077623E9396D43633888C821911B5499FF9FFBE2AD3808A7FDF

I wasn't the one questioning your question so that's fine.

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

And that's exactly why I responded to @clickrush post because as he correctly describes the two solutions are fundamentally different, so if the OP was really a beginner then the filter+XOR solution might have worked but if only the buffer solution was needed. For instance a pressure plate activating something when a dupe walked past. Then that would lead the player to make overly complex automation that might not work as he expects in other circumstances. I'm not sure why @bleeter6 then jumps into the conversation when I'm agreeing with everyone else but merely explained why I saw the buffer solution as the answer to the question the OP actually asked.

Anyway. It got solved so I don't see the problem. Sorry, to disturb you needlessly @DarkSlimus but your question was kinda hard to answer precisely without context.

If you're using a setup like @Nativel posted above, I suggest also connecting the set port on the memory gate to the gate's output.  This will ensure that it resets properly after your trigger condition is met.  Without this, if the input trigger flickers at all, it can cause the memory gate to get stuck in an active state for much longer than you may want.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:10 PM, crypticorb said:

@DarkSlimus I'm curious what you plan to use this particular hold-delay-reset automation for? Any designs you're working towards?

I use these exact type of timers all over my base to meter out liquid flow, for a few different purposes.

On the supply end, I use this to keep a piece of machinery supplied with liquid or gas but only pumping for a short amount of time when the pipes start running out.

Example 1: electrolyzers. I'm pumping in water above 95c. To keep heat leakage to a minimum I build insulated pipe inside insulated tile, and only pump just enough to keep this double insulated section full. Put a liquid element sensor in the line, read it once every 30 seconds, when the sensor is uncovered pump only 10 seconds then shut off until the next read.

Example 2: exosuits. I want to use a mechanical filter but I don't want the pump to keep running when my lines are full. Same thing. Gas element sensor on the supply with a short length of buffer to the suit docking area. Read presence of oxygen in the outlet pipe every 30 seconds, when it's empty pump for 10 seconds then stop.

You can also use this same device on a return header that has an intermittent stream of small packets as a packet packer. A shutoff valve waits until its input is full for at least 30 seconds and then opens up for 10 (packing fluid packets is a huge way to recover fps especially if you have tons of pipe in your base)

Also for vacuum locks. You can use this to keep the center door from closing, OR the fan from pumping, until no dupes have passed for some seconds. Reduces errand interruptions or power use.

Sorry for all text, no motivation to post pics right now.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:22 PM, Neotuck said:

don't need a memory gate

XOR gates work too

in the picture set the filter to X seconds and the signal will shut down 

20181107182028_1.thumb.jpg.77cb9f0fbb6c604d02deabe5c4007067.jpg20181107182157_1.thumb.jpg.99808b9de6ff6de5af0d08f0033d5e30.jpg

Thanks, I've been confuddled by an automation circuit I need and this is what I need!

Archived