Rocket Detection Automation

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but the scanners don't detect rockets until right before they land. My doors usually get about 30% open before they get demolished by an incoming rocket.
I am not using any buffer or filter delays in my circuit so im not sure what the problem is :/ or whether this is a bug/dev oversight.

It doesn't matter if you power the doors or not, you can't open bunker doors in time with the rocket detection output from scanners.

Instead, calculate a safe launch window and use a water clock. See below thread and comments in that thread. You can still use the scanner array output to make sure that the gantry is retracted until the rocket has landed though.

Because i send the rockets to various destination i prefer a manual hydro sensor, so from time to time i look at the mission remaining time and at 95% i open the door. If you send the rockets for exotic material to the same destination, then a water clock is recommended. 

Alternatively make the starting pad floor with bunker tiles and keep the doors open during the mission, then use the scanner to close the doors once the rocket lands. As for current patch automation and pipes don`t take meteor damage (even though they did a few patches ago) so you only have to worry about gantries.

3 hours ago, Smithe37 said:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but the scanners don't detect rockets until right before they land. My doors usually get about 30% open before they get demolished by an incoming rocket.

Your meteor scanner are not optimized so they detect the meteors too late. Here's how to avoid interference (in French but screen is speaking) : https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/0227da_c921c5290798427f85dcd41447068ce1.pdf

And my automation :

It's for solar panel because in fact you only need a Not Gate.

14 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Your meteor scanner are not optimized so they detect the meteors too late.

The problem is not meteor detection but rocket return detection as the title says. Even the best scanner set up in existence will not help open the bunker doors in time for that. 

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

It doesn't matter if you power the doors or not, you can't open bunker doors in time with the rocket detection output from scanners.

Instead, calculate a safe launch window and use a water clock. See below thread and comments in that thread. You can still use the scanner array output to make sure that the gantry is retracted until the rocket has landed though.

In your post you teach that with 200g/s each 100g interval on the hydro sensor will equal 1 second passed, wouldn't the hydro sensor detect 200g when the liquid leaves the pipe? I think I would see 400g on the sensor and think that 2 seconds have passed instead of 4. Please ELI5

Thank you

2 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

In your post you teach that with 200g/s each 100g interval on the hydro sensor will equal 1 second passed, wouldn't the hydro sensor detect 200g when the liquid leaves the pipe? I think I would see 400g on the sensor and think that 2 seconds have passed instead of 4. Please ELI5

No. The hydro sensor measures the level of the water at any given time, and since there's 2 tiles of water then with 200g/s flow rate each second adds 100g to each tile. But I urge you to just build it and see yourself. There's so many things you can do with a water clock. :D

7 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No. The hydro sensor measures the level of the water at any given time, and since there's 2 tiles of water then with 200g/s flow rate each second adds 100g to each tile. But I urge you to just build it and see yourself. There's so many things you can do with a water clock. :D

Thank you, so each tile receives half of the 200g flow rate? I think I get it.

For my understanding:

If I attached a light bulb to indicate timer completion, would the light bulb turn on in 37 seconds if I set the hydro switch to 3700g of liquid?

With a flow rate of 588g/s would 294g indicate 1 second has passed? (assuming 2 tiles of filling space)

Also I assume you could add a hydro sensor 1 tile up to increase the maximum counting capacity of the clock, is that correct?

3 hours ago, Angpaur said:

Can scanners detect particular rocket if more than one is sent to space or it detects any incomming rocket?

Last update you set it to a particular rocket. You just need to change names of them or all will show as "rocket".

On 31/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, Sasza22 said:

Alternatively make the starting pad floor with bunker tiles and keep the doors open during the mission, then use the scanner to close the doors once the rocket lands. As for current patch automation and pipes don`t take meteor damage (even though they did a few patches ago) so you only have to worry about gantries.

Gantries don't take damage from meteors. Noticed it while playing yesterday.

Build 295825 Test branch:

Rocket Logic has been reworked: The Space Scanner now turns off when the rocket is grounded, is on when launching, off while in space, on when close to landing (based on dish network quality), and on while landing. The Command Capsule only emits a signal while grounded, ready, or while taking off.

1 hour ago, ChickenMadness said:

Gantries don't take damage from meteors. Noticed it while playing yesterday.

Last i played they did. Now i`m doing a fresh game and i don`t have rockets yet. Are they immune to meteors in the live patch or in the preview?

20 hours ago, Angpaur said:

OK. Thanks.

Another thing I would like to clarify - to detect rockets with one fixed amount of time before landing you need to have 6 scanners network like in case of meteors?

This would most likely be the case, but further testing would be needed to provide confirmation. I'm not running test branch, so I dunno.

I have a great scanner setup for this once it hits live though...Can't wait to tinker with it.

On 26/11/2018 at 7:20 PM, Sasza22 said:

Last i played they did. Now i`m doing a fresh game and i don`t have rockets yet. Are they immune to meteors in the live patch or in the preview?

I'm playing on SU-291640.

Was a few days ago don't know if the game has had any patches since then.

I built all my rocket stuff out in the open and none of it took meteor damage, including gantries. Only thing that damaged the gantries was the rockets if I forgot to retract them.

11 hours ago, Xuhybrid said:

Or just leave your doors open.

But I want a silo, so I can reclaim all of that yummy co2 to turn back into petrol using molten slicksters. I can barely keep up with my molten slickster farm as it is.

Automating a silo is actually really easy. You don't even need to use scanners, you can still use a water clock. Scanners would be pretty neat though.

Archived