Liquid Bridges FYI

A recently closed thread that got hijacked by negativity had some nuggets of good information in it.

I did some experimenting and realized the decor impact 'bonus' and decided to summarize the info here in one post.

if you use bridges liberally you will

• Save Resources - bridges take less material *when compared to insulated pipes.
  • Reduce Heat transfer - bridges never actually contain anything so they cannot transfer heat while sitting
  • Reduce the amount of buffered liquid - again, they never really hold anything.
  • Reduced Decor impact - Fewer actual pipes
  • Changes are less messy - You can break the pipe at one of many bridges leaving no spilled fluid.  remainder of pipe keeps on pumping.

Snapshot-25.png

Snapshot-26.png

On a little note, I find it also great that bridges let resources travel right to them. As one lays lots of long pipes across the entire map, the content starts to travel right up to the bridge - Which may lay at the end of the entire pipe.

7 minutes ago, Fischer_L said:

If i'm not mistaken, resource saving trick works only with insulated liquid/gas pipes.

True there is no saved/lost resources with normal pipes

Only benefit is speeding up the transfer of the pipe contents

3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

True there is no saved/lost resources with normal pipes

There is actually loss of resources for normal gas pipes. 75 for 3 section with only pipes, 100 for 3 section with bridge.

P.S. I think it would probably be fixed by devs sooner or later, as bridges doesn't meant to replace pipes.

2 minutes ago, Fischer_L said:

There is actually loss of resources for normal gas pipes. 75 for 3 section with only pipes, 100 for 3 section with bridge.

You only save one section of pipe when you bridge it.  I only know liquid Bridges and normal liquid pipes cost the same

Don't know about gas pipes, not home now to check

45 minutes ago, Fischer_L said:

Oops.   I was working with insulated and i generally do.. forgot to include that in the post.  fixed.  thanks for the heads up folks

I love the idea, but my chronic perfectionism goes ape-**** whenever I see large amounts of output/input pipes sphagetti'd everywhere. It just looks messy, particularly when trying to compact or debug a ventilation/plumbing system or showcase a build.

Not disagreeing with the incredible benefit of speeding up movement and saving supermaterials, but it looks horrid on my overlay.

2 hours ago, crypticorb said:

I love the idea, but my chronic perfectionism goes ape-**** whenever I see large amounts of output/input pipes sphagetti'd everywhere. It just looks messy, particularly when trying to compact or debug a ventilation/plumbing system or showcase a build.

Not disagreeing with the incredible benefit of speeding up movement and saving supermaterials, but it looks horrid on my overlay.

Im a proud member of the high tech 10kg gas and more-kg-on-water pipes initiative :D It would prevent most spaghetti looks + recharge exosuit docks with oxygen really fast.

12 minutes ago, babba said:

Im a proud member of the high tech 10kg gas and more-kg-on-water pipes initiative :D It would prevent most spaghetti looks + recharge exosuit docks with oxygen really fast.

It would be really nice to have some form of high capacity piping somewhere deep in the research tree.  Holds up to 50 kg for the liquid version, and 10 kg for the gas version, as an example.  Make it cost yellow/orange research perhaps to unlock?

You could actually intersect wide groups of pipes in a + pattern extremely conveniently.  I don't have the game on me currently, but the ability to reliably cross two wide paths of pipes is certainly useful.

Basically, if I had 10 pipes going up and 10 pipes going left, I could have them weave through each other without any interference or breaking the pattern.

48 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Something I actually did on a previous map might be amusing to some in this respect.

image.thumb.png.3125300488bb5d790c89a1a1f3391d9e.png

This... actually pleases me. It's compact and simple enough to be worth implementing, and the symmetry is nice. A two-lane intersection is something I typically avoided, not worked with.

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Something I actually did on a previous map might be amusing to some in this respect.

image.thumb.png.3125300488bb5d790c89a1a1f3391d9e.png

This is funny because I did the exact same thing the other day trying to see if there was a way to route several pipes over each other.  As you can see, I never actually built it, but I did screenshot the layout I came up with for 4 pipes lol

20181022215101_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

You can use expensive materials for pipes and cheap for bridges to save even on normal pipes.

Hmm... a can't imagine situation when you want to build normal "expensive" pipes. Usually when you build normal pipes, you dont' care about heat transfer, or even want to encourage it.

May be there is a case with pipes from perfect insulator... but i didnt' play with it so far...

Archived