Sour Gas Refinement V2.0 (2kg/s natural gas)

Thanks to @wachunga who pointed out that pipes don't break if the packets are less than 1kg I had come up with a new sour gas refinery build that can produce 2000g/s natural gas.  This added to other sources of natural gas in the map allowed me to make a power plant with 25 natural gas generators for a 20kW max circuit for my colony! 

It all started with an Iron volcano and Slush geyser:

main.thumb.png.a7017bc0603c143b21e4a04942511ebd.png

Oil is pumped in from an oil well off screen at 90C.  The shutoff is controlled by a hydro sensor by the slush geyser.  This is so the build doesn't overheat if I run out of PW coolant.

The oil is divided into 6 pipes at 473g/s

20180925200747_1.thumb.jpg.f1881ad4f44cfcfc164f93a57826bb37.jpg20180925200808_1.thumb.jpg.d7960185999cb6de1dab1783df5bac70.jpg

Here the hot oil is boiled into sour gas from the heat of the volcano.  Temperature is controlled by a hydro sensor that closes the mech door whenever it senses liquid allowing heat to transfer from the liquid iron into the chamber. 

20180925200839_1.thumb.jpg.0f5a3febb25f57a520d4e16317652f0c.jpg

The hot sour gas travels down the main chamber getting cooled by the crude oil and methane.

Once it reaches the bottom it condenses into methane that is collected by the two mini liquid pumps. 

The pumps divide the methane into 6 pipes at 333g/s

20180925200859_1.thumb.jpg.1d6d12ebda7cfc6a7d074d5b489e7799.jpg

The temperature is controlled by 11 regulators with hydrogen in a loop.  The mech door closes when the methane is warmer than -170C and the regulators shut down when they hydrogen is colder than -220C

20180925200913_1.thumb.jpg.cc32eb145c4f37946c031df12df8f7f1.jpg

The methane is pumped into the main natural gas chamber were 4 gas pumps take it to 25 generators.

The whole thing is cooled with PW from a slush geyser were it first is pumped into a chamber with hot methane to cool it before reaching the natural gas chamber so the gas pumps don't overheat. Then the PW drips down to the regulators to keep them from overheating

20180925200936_1.thumb.jpg.e80bdda56b04832dee79b267f7cd6845.jpg

I know using 11 regulators seems excessive and the total power needed for this build is 4.26kW

However I am able to support 25 natural gas generators with this for 20kW total so I think it's worth the trade off

7 hours ago, Neotuck said:

unlikely unless you exploit the aquatunner's "no overheat damage" bug

Thank you @Denisetwin for the like, my rep just reached 1,000!!!

Given you are kinda already exploiting a bug where pipes don't break with packets below 1kg, I'd say why not go full monty on it.

I assume the packet bug is being used for the pumped methane; I have heard of it before but never bothered to inquiry about it. Does the bug entail that there is no state change from liquid to gas despite crossing over the evaporation point if the liquid packet is below 1kg?

The idea is very interesting, but I fear Klei will patch that out unfortunaly. They already dislike us mass-creating natural gas; sometimes I wonder if they cringe at seeing these builds xD.

2 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Given you are kinda already exploiting a bug where pipes don't break with packets below 1kg, I'd say why not go full monty on it.

I assume the packet bug is being used for the pumped methane; I have heard of it before but never bothered to inquiry about it. Does the bug entail that there is no state change from liquid to gas despite crossing over the evaporation point of the liquid packet is below 1kg?

The idea is very interesting, but I fear Klei will patch that out unfortunaly. They already dislike us mass-creating natural gas; sometimes I wonder if they cringe at seeing these builds xD.

I wonder if it would be considered an exploit, I mean technically a small amount of liquid evaporating would not exert as much "Pressure" which causes the pipe not to break meaning the pipe doesn't break. But Heck we will find out! if the devs change it then thats that lol

15 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I wonder if it would be considered an exploit, I mean technically a small amount of liquid evaporating would not exert as much "Pressure" which causes the pipe not to break meaning the pipe doesn't break. But Heck we will find out! if the devs change it then thats that lol

Technically you are very much correct. Your own liquid pipes at home for certain have gas buildup at bents. That's always the case. I do think gasses condensing in gas pipes is much more of an issue really. In the same sense a aquatuner shouldn't really "overheat" in real life either. Requiring 1200kg of metal,which is a huge lump of metal, the temperature is not so much a factor. What will cause damage is if it isn't lubricated enough and is run in a dry state, causing chunks of the blades being ripped off, with the metal being softer due the heat. So in that sense you could also argue whether the aquatuner bug is an exploit. For some comparison, a formula one engine is meant to operate in 1,000 °C at 12,000 rpm at almost half the mass. And formula one hates cooling!

However, I always had the impression Klei approached these things black 'n white. State changes (or state changes that should happen) in pipes causes damage, going beyond a certain temperature causes heat damage (even though again in the case of the aquatuner that doesn't make sense as long as the whole deal is lubricated).

...Now that I did speak about formula one, who else ever imagined duplicants racing in cute mini f1 cars on your own created asteroid race track?

Got a gas pump working without direct contact with the gas pumped so you can pump very hot gases with minimal heat loss. The only contact there is between the gas pump is through a thin layer of naphtha and it's contact with the air flow tile. Now I could have made naphtha layer much less than 100g but that would be difficult to replicate in a survival game. Not impossible just really difficult. That means there is going to be heat transfer so you need to cool the petroleum to keep the pump at a safe temperature. That also limits how hot gases you can pump with this set up can be but 535C sour gas is no problem.

image.thumb.png.9b03150fe868ea8da209cc37b3f9dfce.png

2 hours ago, Carnis said:

How much iron / heat is that? Iron is very dense, few thousand kg/ tile. Iron volcanos produce below 500g/s.. so few Hundred cycles of iron.

10.7kg/s for 32s every 640s

That's over 340kg per cycle so a little over a hundred cycles to fill the bottom layer during the eruption period 

But it took me almost a hundred cycles to build the whole thing in survival and I'm already in the second eruption period since this was built

The temp in the chamber isn't going down fast enough to solidify so I'm starting to worry I'll have to drain it by the 4th eruption

11.png.de6042764d7e4e2e3fba734e8d9c49f1.png

4 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I assume the packet bug is being used for the pumped methane; I have heard of it before but never bothered to inquiry about it. Does the bug entail that there is no state change from liquid to gas despite crossing over the evaporation point if the liquid packet is below 1kg?

not just the men thing but the crude oil to it gets over 500 degrees Celsius and doesn't even change to petroleum much less sour gas while still in the pipes.

As for choosing this bug over the overheat temperature damaged bug main reason is the over heat damaged bug only happened this update whereas the pipe bug seems to have been around for a while and is less likely to be fixed

2 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

don't give up on it just yet.

I don't give up easy, every new update is a challenge to try new builds and think outside the box to make a sustainable colony.

I still remember last year one of my first builds I was able to make a self substaning colony that didn't need any help from geysers, or finite resources.

This was achived by mass producing slime with pufts and morbs.  The slime was used to fertilizer mushrooms and make algae and pwater.  Algae made O2 while the pwater made power by using fertilizer synthesizers and natural gas generators.  Water was made with a boiler.

Unfortunately over the past year most of this had been nerfed so it's no longer possible but I'll keep making new builds and posting my favorites

@Neotuck, do you have any ideas for this build without the controversial Pipe/valve mechanics?

The diamond window radiator seems really good for stable cooling.

I tinkered with an open gas corridor & doorpump design to avoid 20x500g sourgas pumps with one side sour, other side natural gas but could not make it stable enough.

Tried adding cold polluted water as a heat deleter, but in my setup this with an included heat exchanger ended up resetting The temperature of both sides (cooling sour, heating ng)..

2 hours ago, Carnis said:

@Neotuck, do you have any ideas for this build without the controversial Pipe/valve mechanics?

The diamond window radiator seems really good for stable cooling.

I tinkered with an open gas corridor & doorpump design to avoid 20x500g sourgas pumps with one side sour, other side natural gas but could not make it stable enough.

Tried adding cold polluted water as a heat deleter, but in my setup this with an included heat exchanger ended up resetting The temperature of both sides (cooling sour, heating ng)..

Archived