Did I get unlucky with vents?

I have yet to see a slush or water vent, but it is sounding like they are important.  On my current map I seem to have two cool steam vents, a chlorine vent, a gold volcano, and a hot polluted oxygen vent.  Am I kinda boned?  I don't think the AETN can make enough cooling to make use of the po2 vent, and it's kinda being dedicated to cooling one of the steam vents now.

Every map is guaranteed (barring any overlapping Point of Interest mishaps) 2 Cool Steam Vents, a NatGas Vent, and a 50/50 chance of either a Chlorine Vent, or a second NatGas Vent.  Each map is also intended to be guaranteed 3 AETNs, and 1 to 3 Oil Resevoirs.

Beyond that, your results will be highly random.  On average you'll have another 5 to 8 Geyser/Vent/Volcano features, which will be bricked over and need to be excavated before you can even identify them.  Different features have different rarities.  In my experience checking map seeds in Debug, Cool Slush Geysers and Copper Volcanoes seem to be much more rare, while Chlorine Vents, NatGas Vents, and Oil Fissures seem to be much more common.

2 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

what abot your other 6 buried volcanoes? average is 2 per biome......

I forgot to mention the natgas vent, but that seems to be all I have, unless there is another one in some of the oil biome I have yet to explore, or maybe still closer to the surface than I have gone yet.

3 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Every map is guaranteed (barring any overlapping Point of Interest mishaps) 2 Cool Steam Vents, a NatGas Vent, and a 50/50 chance of either a Chlorine Vent, or a second NatGas Vent.  Each map is also intended to be guaranteed 3 AETNs, and 1 to 3 Oil Resevoirs.

Hrm.. I have only found one AETN.  There are still two cold biomes I have not completely explored yet, so I guess I'll have to go do that and see if they also have an AETN, but it doesn't look like there is much area they could be hiding in.  Good to know there should be more than one though.  I do see one oil reservoir but since that takes water to work, I thought it better to ranch slicksters for oil.

16 minutes ago, psusi said:

So it feels like the oil and lava biomes are less deep on this map than my last one, but I noticed this oddity.  A random 3x2 chunk of neutronium.  What the heck is this?

As far as I can tell, exactly what you said. A random block of neutronium. You'll find them interspersed into the Abyssalite layer "protecting" the magma. 

Me neither like the blocks of neutronium in the lava area. I think is better to be replaced whit abysalite or obsidian tiles, and only the bottom part whit neutronium. If i want to move the lava my dupes can't access 40% of it....whatever i do.

Also it will be nice is the cooper, iron, gold, or magma volcano can be put only in the magma area....

It`s perfectly possible to sustain a colony off of 2 cool steam vents. With enough power generation you can set up aquatuners to get them to a nice temperature without even using the AETN.

I`ve seen people basing their designs on slush geysers to the point they only play no maps that have one. Slush geysers are nice for cooling but you can live without them. And the maps have enough water to sustain pretty large colonies.

Whenever you feel like you don`t have enough cooling just pump hot stuff inot an ice biome and watch it melt. Your stuff gets cooler and you get extra water.

before i switched off to a new map, i ended up with 4 cool steam vents of which 2 i used, 1 sewage geyser, 1 slush geyser which the former i used while the latter i didn't harness, an infected PO2 vent, a CO2 geyser which i barely used for slicksters and 2 AETN's and i did quite well with my colony

thing is there's always a use for something and that's up to the user how to solve a problem

2 hours ago, tzionut said:

Me neither like the blocks of neutronium in the lava area. I think is better to be replaced whit abysalite or obsidian tiles, and only the bottom part whit neutronium. If i want to move the lava my dupes can't access 40% of it....whatever i do.

Ironically I actually made a mod which does that (replaces all Neutronium with Abyssalite or extends the map to its border) but after around 4 days, of the 122 viewers only 4 subscribed... 

I really don't know what I did wrong but something sure must be different. I guess I will release my personal "Safe Space" Mod in a week or so still when there are no hotfixes but technically it is more inferior (since it conflicts with the mod loader and has to be updated every goddessdamn time. I blame Canada/the to complex coding involved.)

In any event with a chance of 97.5%² the Cool Steam Vents should be good as in being average or better and amount to one Water/Slush Geyser in terms of average yield. That however does not really matter since in the worst case one can import water/ice from space when someday there is no slime, no ice biomes, no polluted water in the slime biomes, no oil... to be frank:

Personally I actually have the problem of having too much. The especially the amount of gas containers I have is inane. I do consider actually revising my "melt the ice biome"-standard plan. Well, worst of all, all my lightbugs and all but one hatch died silently and somehow fishes do not lay eggs... New plan: Get ranching active asap, do not go explore, get drecko, get glossy drecko, collect plastic for hoarding lightbugs

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s perfectly possible to sustain a colony off of 2 cool steam vents. With enough power generation you can set up aquatuners to get them to a nice temperature without even using the AETN.

Aquatuners just move heat.  Where are you going to put it?  So far I've been putting it into polluted water before sieving it, but that seems to be about maxed out keeping my oxygen and refinery cool, with a little cooling to keep the natgas generator under 80 F.

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Whenever you feel like you don`t have enough cooling just pump hot stuff inot an ice biome and watch it melt. Your stuff gets cooler and you get extra water.

That's not sustainable.

5 hours ago, psusi said:

That's not sustainable.

I don`t play around sustainability but around solving problems. If i get too hot i can literally dump the heat into an ice biome destroying it in the process but getting some water out of it. It`s my version of mining it out i guess. I don`t kill all the ice biomes but some of them. Later in the game i can think about a more sustain base but i never played past 350 cycles so maybe my apporach is just plain wrong.

First thing I do when a new map loads is check the hidden geysers. I don’t really care in what quantities but I’m not going to spent possibly hundreds of hours on a map that doesn’t have a chlorine and a volcano. Metal isn’t as important now that it comes from the sky.  Extra water sources are a plus. 

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I don`t play around sustainability but around solving problems. If i get too hot i can literally dump the heat into an ice biome destroying it in the process but getting some water out of it. It`s my version of mining it out i guess. I don`t kill all the ice biomes but some of them. Later in the game i can think about a more sustain base but i never played past 350 cycles so maybe my apporach is just plain wrong.

No, it's definitely not wrong. Alot of new players focus way too much on sustainability too much and too early in the game. Like OP for example hasn't even explored the map yet but is worried about geyser/vent outputs already. Sustainability problems regarding water/heat/precious materials only really occur late game after at least a couple of hundred cycles (don't get confused by the screenshot, with only 7 dupes cycle 500ish is still mid game, not to mention the low amount of plastic/refined metal is a give away as well.)

So your method of dumping heat (late game sustainability problem) into an ice biome to get water/polluted water (late game sustainability problem) is smart and effective. An efficient mid game is about expanding fast, exploring, gathering/producing materials in large stock and using simple but effective solutions to do so.

Archived