Insulated tiles made of igneous rock make heat?

Why is this tile so hot?  All of the tiles surrounding it are less than 90 F, yet this one is over 90 and keeps heating the mealwood too hot even though I'm pumping 68 F oxygen into the room ( and evacuating it over to the left to keep the cool air flowing ).  I noticed this is the only one that is igneous, the rest are sandstone.

Screenshot from 2018-09-12 20-37-08.png

Ok, so I changed that tile to insulated sandstone and now it's 103.8 F.  The tiles around it are 70 ( air ), 78 ( farm ), 82, 88, 78 ( other insulated tiles ), and 84 ( undug sandstone ).

The temperature of the tile depends on the temperature of the material that was used to build it. Example: If one tile used abyssalite from close to an ice biome, it will be a very cool abyssalite tile. If another uses abyssalite from oil biome, it will be very warm.

The farm plot being too warm is unlikely to be caused by the insulated tile, because they modulate thermal conductivity to be very low.

2 hours ago, Lagmawnster said:

The temperature of the tile depends on the temperature of the material that was used to build it.

This.

Watch out when building with igneous rock. It might be very hot especially when they pick some form the oil biome.

10 hours ago, Christophlette said:

I think your problem might be that mealwood needs dirt and it is that dirt that is hot. 

I suppose it is possible that for some reason, the dupes started grabbing hot dirt fresh out of the compost bin instead of the tons that have been sitting in storage at 75 F for a long time, but the one on the right is cooler and the tile on the left seems to be where the heat is coming from.

9 hours ago, Lagmawnster said:

The temperature of the tile depends on the temperature of the material that was used to build it. Example: If one tile used abyssalite from close to an ice biome, it will be a very cool abyssalite tile. If another uses abyssalite from oil biome, it will be very warm.

What?  I swear everyone has said that building a title always comes out at a fixed temperature so you can magically cool hot things down by breaking and rebuilding them.  That maybe could explain why it went up when I replaced the tile with sandstone, though the sandstone should have been sitting in a compactor at 75 F for some time, and it doesn't explain why the original tile, which had been there for a few hundred cycles, was so warm.

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Watch out when building with igneous rock. It might be very hot especially when they pick some form the oil biome.

The original igneous tile had been there for a few hundred cycles, and I still haven't gotten down to the oil biome.

the heat is real and temp does matter when making tiles. As seen here. This is a very soothing picture for me. ;pcapture_08302018_210206.thumb.jpg.6b68e49694fb101ddd85f24ad3941500.jpgcapture_08302018_211131.thumb.jpg.4f642af3b8171b9eec5b3ecb8098cad3.jpg

Two pictures really. I love them both. But, the heat is real, as is the struggle. Watch were they grab stuff from. Every time he completed a tile, he would inevitably grab the closet ig rock. But, that micro is worth it.

4 hours ago, psusi said:

What?  I swear everyone has said that building a title always comes out at a fixed temperature so you can magically cool hot things down by breaking and rebuilding them.

It doesn`t have a fixed temperature but it clamps at a max temperature if you use something super hot. I think it`s to prevent buildings from overheating as soon as you build them. This can be used to cool dirt but walls might end pretty hot.

Also around 100oF isn`t that much of an issue especially at how slow the heat transfer from an insulated tile is.

Ok, so apparently my stupid dupes have taken to running further to pick up the hot dirt fresh out of the compost piles instead of taking the cooler dirt in closer storage.  And there's no good way to stop them from doing that.

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It doesn`t have a fixed temperature but it clamps at a max temperature if you use something super hot. I think it`s to prevent buildings from overheating as soon as you build them. This can be used to cool dirt but walls might end pretty hot.

Also around 100oF isn`t that much of an issue especially at how slow the heat transfer from an insulated tile is.

Supplement

For material which belongs to Liquifiable catalog(eg. snow, ice, Pice), the range is -∞~45C

For material which doesn't belong to Liquifiable catalog, the range is 15C~45C

45C=113F

15C=59F

8 hours ago, psusi said:

Ok, so apparently my stupid dupes have taken to running further to pick up the hot dirt fresh out of the compost piles instead of taking the cooler dirt in closer storage.  And there's no good way to stop them from doing that.

I was wondering the same. Anyone has an idea on how on earth they decide to pick up stuff?? Or how the dupes decide to store thing in containers (assuming priority is the same, why go for the one far away?)

1 hour ago, Argelle said:

I was wondering the same. Anyone has an idea on how on earth they decide to pick up stuff?? Or how the dupes decide to store thing in containers (assuming priority is the same, why go for the one far away?)

They pick up the nearest suitable material at the moment they decided to do the job. So, if hot near to them, they will run to hot and then run to target. A solution is to make local dupe to decide to do the job, by temporary limiting access to the room.

4 hours ago, Argelle said:

When a Dupe completes a task it looks for work nearby. Sweeping stuff from the ground apparently doesn't seem to count as a task but delivering/storing is. So if you give the order to sweep a room the Dupe does not go into the room, picks up the debris and carry it to the next compactor. Instead, the Dupe checks for the closest compactor to its current location, walks into the room, picks up the debris and then delivers it to said compactor. No matter how far away it actually is. When the debris is deliverd the Dupe again checks for a nearby compactor to store the next debris delivery and since it is standing right next to the "far away" compactor, it delivers to it again.

This seems to be the reason why Dupes obviously ignore compactors that are clearly nearby the sweeping order. You can force a Dupe to start sweeping into nearby compactors by manually giving them the "move to" order and place it next to the compactor. This resets this delivery cycle and the Dupe will start to sweep into the closer compactor.

For other deliveries the Dupes seem to check for the closest available resource to them. So if they are currently in the slime biome and an Algae Deoxydizer needs more fuel, the Dupe will pick up the algae from the biome and not from the compactor you built right next to the Deoxydizer. Again, the Dupes seem to not check for the shortest total travel distance but rather just for the closest available resource.

Archived