Optimal amount of recreation time?

1 minute ago, chemie said:

??? This is one shift.

You can move things around for other shifts to reduce bathroom and entertainment load....but you know that already

I was asking if you run 4 shifts as well for maximum efficiency. 6 hours of combined down/sleep/bath-time suggests that you run your dupes in 4 shifts of 18 hour work days and 6 hours rest each.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

Bathtime is best before downtime. They will do the toilets first and then go eat. Otherwise they will waste downtime to pee.

Better skipping the bathroom block and give them an additional downtime block instead. that gives them +1 morale, more time to pee and then time to do whatever you wanted them to do during downtime.

My main concern with blocks is avoiding travel eating most of it.

Don't want work work stuff work work stuff work work, so the optimal is one work block and the rest aligned together.

Downtime Downtime Sleep Sleep Shower Downtime Downtime

With the Rocket update dupes will start working when they run out of downtime/shower actives, so not sure two Downtime periods is good, but you need something to drag the dupes home to make a 2 block sleep period work, otherwise the dupes is spending the first block reaching their bed. 

Edit: Shower falls over into the next block, dupes will start working before shower time ends.

The reason I mention shifts is that the more shifts you have, essentially the less dupes on each schedule, the less bathrooms you need to have. Ultimately you'd only need a single lavatory for 24 dupes if each dupes was on a separate schedule one block removed from the next dupe. If only mess tables could be set to public as well then there'd be even more base real estate savings. The same is true for recreational buildings needed. If only 3 dupes for example can be on downtime at the same time, staggered one hour then you'll only need the bare minimum of equipment in that room as well. By using multiple schedules you can end up with some quite amazingly compact base builds even with a high dupe count.

9 hours ago, Zarylo said:

Better skipping the bathroom block and give them an additional downtime block instead. that gives them +1 morale, more time to pee and then time to do whatever you wanted them to do during downtime.

That's what I'm doing too, 4 rec 2 sleep, no bathtime. Dupes always go to the toilets first during their rec time anyway if they need to.

14 hours ago, Zarylo said:

The reason bathtime is useful is that if they don`t need to pee they will keep working. i prefer it before downtime so everyone gets the same time of downtime no matter of they need to pee or not. I`m not sure how the new bonus from downtime works. Do they get the morale for amount of downtime they have or for the amount of time they are doing recreation. If it`s based on the amount of blocks then there`s actually no reason for bathtime anymore unless you use showers.

11 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

The reason bathtime is useful is that if they don`t need to pee they will keep working. i prefer it before downtime so everyone gets the same time of downtime no matter of they need to pee or not. I`m not sure how the new bonus from downtime works. Do they get the morale for amount of downtime they have or for the amount of time they are doing recreation. If it`s based on the amount of blocks then there`s actually no reason for bathtime anymore unless you use showers.

1 rec shift = +0 morale

2 rec shifts = +1 morale

3 rec shifts = +2 morale

4 rec shifts = +3 morale

5+ rec shifts = +4 morale

that's the point, there is no reason to use bathroom shifts, because there seems to be no benefit to them. I don't use showers but recreation shifts state "my duplicants may do as they please" so that doesn't exclude showers does it? Maybe someone else with more experience will know.

the morale gained from the blocks is independent from what the duplicants choose to do with their time. Additional benefits like eating, peeing, dancing, socializing, drinking espresso, playing at the arcade etc. have their own benefits and you are right to leave enough time to do those things, but you gain nothing from having them do it during bathroom shifts rather than recreation shifts.

18 minutes ago, Zarylo said:

no reason to use bathroom shifts, because there seems to be no benefit to them

Bath time is work time if they're not showering; that's why it's useful. If you just want your dupes showering in downtime instead of in the morning, then yeah, it's not useful to you - but I want them to get the showered buff in the morning (since they want the shower upon waking up, as of the rocketry update) then get to work (and when there's just a couple showers, they'll all sneak a shower in between work tasks during a couple blocks of bath time in the morning).

5 minutes ago, shanemadden said:

Bath time is work time if they're not showering; that's why it's useful. If you just want your dupes showering in downtime instead of in the morning, then yeah, it's not useful to you - but I want them to get the showered buff in the morning (since they want the shower upon waking up, as of the rocketry update) then get to work (and when there's just a couple showers, they'll all sneak a shower in between work tasks during a couple blocks of bath time in the morning).

I'll have to try this out once I build showers. half of my duplicants get recreation right after sleeping, if there is benefit to that then I'll make that a golden standard. Thanks for your insights shanemadden.

Archived