The gorge may kill person. it should have time limit

AQUA76

unknown.png

Hi i'm 아쿠아76, and i want to say about time limit.

This game, the gorge does not have time limit.

Teams which i know ends their game for their own will.

Like feeling it's too hard or too long.

We can play over 24 hours for one game, if we don't have hunger and tiredness.

I know most players play the gorge less than 30 minutes for one game.

But about it's top scoring teams, it's over 5 hours. Even over 6 hour teams emerging now.

Me and my friends now considering about meal time and water intake.

So i think it should have a time limit. About 8 hours. And it would hurt nobody.

Long time with no rest can occur "economy class syndrome" which can kill a person.

Well it's not a joke.

And it's meaningless with no fun. Can you enjoy gamming over straight 6 hours?

I think it might be over 20 hour for score high teams at the end of season.

By that time, it can cause a serious problem.

I think 2 hours time limit is the best.

It's ideal to make people seeking more efficiency and cooking high score plates.

Having a time limit when the event first started would have been a great idea, but I can't think of a way to implement a time limit now without denying the top teams on the leaderboard their scores after they worked so hard for them.

Perhaps "score per minute" with a minimum required time would have been a better way to rank teams, however this would still reset the leaderboard and make most of the top players upset.

Either way, it's a fact of life that some people will put their health at risk to win a competition, It's hard to prevent that.

30 minutes ago, ToastyStoat said:

Having a time limit when the event first started would have been a great idea, but I can't think of a way to implement a time limit now without denying the top teams on the leaderboard their scores after they worked so hard for them.

Perhaps "score per minute" with a minimum required time would have been a better way to rank teams, however this would still reset the leaderboard and make most of the top players upset.

Either way, it's a fact of life that some people will put their health at risk to win a competition, It's hard to prevent that.

That is a lot of spare time...

33 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Ultimately I hope they don't do another event which ties high score to high time. The Forge's high score to low time was very convenient and efficient. 

Do you remember what the top time for that was? I'm curious. IIRC it was ~11 min.

I think another way to solve this issue is to have a "pause" mechanic. After an hour or so, the players could pause the game for breaks and whatnot. Of course, this should have its limits, as we wouldn't want the servers to get overloaded or anything.

Honestly I don't think it's a fun OR healthy competition anymore. It's an endurance battle. We had a team and we were happily competing with the others and even made it up to third on our best run the other day but now it's just a case of who can get three people together for 7 hours to perform a repetitive task. There's no skill to it past a certain point and I doubt we're going to continue going for high scores unless something changes. 

19 minutes ago, D7X said:

Honestly I don't think it's a fun OR healthy competition anymore. It's an endurance battle. We had a team and we were happily competing with the others and even made it up to third on our best run the other day but now it's just a case of who can get three people together for 7 hours to perform a repetitive task. There's no skill to it past a certain point and I doubt we're going to continue going for high scores unless something changes. 

Feel 100% the same way. Once I found that people were doing runs that took up a quarter of a 24 hr period I kinda figured my chances of being on the leaderboard are slim considering It's hard to find friends who would want to do the same and I personally cannot comforatably sit for a 6 hr period without needing to get up to move around. Also it just wouldn't be worth it to do one good 6-7hr run and then the next day be on the bottom of the list/ knocked off because more people are doing 8 hr runs, making you wanna do it all over again.

28 minutes ago, D7X said:

So. Much. This. I came here to post this exact sentiment.

There should be other leader boards using different metrics like time to cook every meal or fastest escape. 

The time-based mechanic on the Gorge was decidedly not well thought out, but that doesn't mean there should be a limit. People shouldn't be protected from themselves like that - if you want to screw yourself over doing something dumb then that's your choice and your fault.

2 hours ago, I Heart Popcorn said:

So. Much. This. I came here to post this exact sentiment.

There should be other leader boards using different metrics like time to cook every meal or fastest escape. 

I have a feeling that similar to The Forge there will be a comprehensive stats page shown at the end, so things like speed runs and solo runs might be listed there. But at the moment this leaderboard is everyone's focus and it is a very exclusive competition because most people don't have time to do a seven hour Gorge run. Even if they do, someone will just beat them anyway and then you have to do eight hours to be competitive again.

Question is, why do you even play for that long? 65k points from a 6-hour run is nothing if you can just do 2/3 runs of 7 meal runs and get about the same amount of points in about 50 minutes. Why are people doing this to themselves? There is literally no point, you're just making dumb decisions. You get score for achievements even when you have done the achievement, and you can get 50k xp right out the gate by doing a single 7 meal run, which will take you like 15 - 20 minutes!

EDIT: wait, so the whole reason you're time-sinking is because of an arbitrary leaderboard that doesn't give you anything other than show how much you're willing to sink your life into the ground? This kind of behavior is why steam's trading cards have created a giant shovel-ware market, getting levels that amount to basically nothing.

20 hours ago, AQUA76 said:

I think 2 hours time limit is the best.

I agree, it's a good limit, it let enough time to do a lot of things and it let place for some challenges and contest, and it's long, but not too long.

13 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Question is, why do you even play for that long? 65k points from a 6-hour run is nothing if you can just do 2/3 runs of 7 meal runs and get about the same amount of points in about 50 minutes. Why are people doing this to themselves? There is literally no point, you're just making dumb decisions. You get score for achievements even when you have done the achievement, and you can get 50k xp right out the gate by doing a single 7 meal run, which will take you like 15 - 20 minutes!

EDIT: wait, so the whole reason you're time-sinking is because of an arbitrary leaderboard that doesn't give you anything other than show how much you're willing to sink your life into the ground? This kind of behavior is why steam's trading cards have created a giant shovel-ware market, getting levels that amount to basically nothing.

You realise that you're getting annoyed at people that agree with you? And also getting annoyed at the people participating rather than the ones that made the system.

On 19/06/2018 at 8:23 PM, D7X said:

You realise that you're getting annoyed at people that agree with you? And also getting annoyed at the people participating rather than the ones that made the system.

Agreeing on one thing, doesn't mean we agree on everything, and the disagreement comes with the time sink. Seriously, just do multiple rounds of 7 or 18+ dishes with some other achiements along the way. Getting a place on the leaderboard means nothing. Save yourself some lifetime :p

In terms of steam, the people who are involved are at guilt as to why there's so much shoveware on the platform, continuing to pointlessly boosting their levels because you like to see numbers going up. In terms of this, Klei probably didn't intend for this to happen, but if you waste your time for no reason in particular and then whine about it, part of that is on you.

P.S in case anyone is going to bring up playing The Gorge to get higher level as an argument of me being a talking contradiction, that's not really what we're after, is it? It's those darn loot bo... I mean "chests" that we are after that contain skins, which even then have a bit more value than an arbitrary leaderboard. And besides you can take breaks with this, but a 6/7 hour run though? No can do, the gorge craves a snack :D

1 hour ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Agreeing on one thing, doesn't mean we agree on everything, and the disagreement comes with the time sink. Seriously, just do multiple rounds of 7 or 18+ dishes with some other achiements along the way. Getting a place on the leaderboard means nothing. Save yourself some lifetime :p

In terms of steam, the people who are involved are at guilt as to why there's so much shoveware on the platform, continuing to pointlessly boosting their levels because you like to see numbers going up. In terms of this, Klei probably didn't intend for this to happen, but if you waste your time for no reason in particular and then whine about it, part of that is on you.

P.S in case anyone is going to bring up playing The Gorge to get higher level as an argument of me being a talking contradiction, that's not really what we're after, is it? It's those darn loot bo... I mean "chests" that we are after that contain skins, which even then have a bit more value than an arbitrary leaderboard. And besides you can take breaks with this, but a 6/7 hour run though? No can do, the gorge craves a snack :D

The skins have no value (literally none, they're tied to your account and can't be resold) the only value they have is to you, same as a position on the leaderboard to other people. It's also pretty amazing that you think you made a point by arguing that people are wasting time incorrectly.

On 21/06/2018 at 5:25 AM, D7X said:

The skins have no value (literally none, they're tied to your account and can't be resold) the only value they have is to you, same as a position on the leaderboard to other people. It's also pretty amazing that you think you made a point by arguing that people are wasting time incorrectly.

Getting skins doesn't necessarily come at a huge detriment. 6 hour runs can and, quite evidently, do. Skins you can actually use for something and interact with, whereas a leaderboard saying "good job", not really. But I digress.

EDIT: @D7XI just noticed that this analogy, in your case (in the post before this one), is the fault on Klei for making a not-so-good game mechanic. I wonder why the common consensus isn't that when it comes to griefing; the level of griefing is entirely demonstrated based on the game's mechanics, and while it's not entirely possible to dealt with, some better mechanic-based measures rather than "ban/kick if a player is doing something you don't like" could actually help a ton.

Thought may be you're all for the idea of mechanics to prevent griefing from happening in the first place? Idk, just a thought :p

@AQUA76 seems like all the update did was drop down the score you get from long runs by x10. Sad days. And apparently I was wrong; you do still get score from getting achievements, but not as much as the first time it is unlocked. Nowhere near as much. But it's still better to just do quick runs, especially now, since you can get like 2000 points with every 7 dish run you do in 10 mins as opposed to x3 the points but in 6h.

So, if you keep making those 6h runs, good for you, no need to complain about it if you're choosing to go this far. Highscore just didn't need to exist for this event lol.

Archived