So... beta level chests. Those still exist, right?

Raspberry Shake

In the Gorge beta I got my first ever RNG elegant's. Now, I was pretty darn pissed that I lost them, but hey, I might get some from my level chests! Right? Plus I'll get a sweet portrait! Only I didn't get any. OF ANYTHING. Now, this means one of two things:

1: Klei just want to watch us suffer

Or

2: Klei just want to watch me suffer / forgot about me

So... any help?

Klei (especially JoeW) was very clear that there were no rewards for the Beta, they wanted to keep it down-low and didn't have enough time with a two-day beta. I think some of us got spoiled with Forge Beta and expected the same thing, but beta's are for testing to help the community and the devs.

14 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

Klei (especially JoeW) was very clear that there were no rewards for the Beta, they wanted to keep it down-low and didn't have enough time with a two-week beta. I think some of us got spoiled with Forge Beta and expected the same thing, but beta's are for testing to help the community and the devs.

ah. Ok thanks.

Spoiler

I'm still pissed about the skins I got though.

I logged in, after a long day in a bad mood.

Saw I was back to level 1.

Saw I didn't have any chests to open.

Saw all my achievements AND recipes gone.

Saw a bunch of my Steam and/or forum friends playing, but was unable to play with them 'cos they were already in matches.

Thought about what trying to enter matches with random strangers as a Level 1 would be like.

Wanted my stuff back, or _something_ anyway.

...turned off game.  :(

I know it was a short beta, but...losing everything AND having to try and explain to strangers why you're an okay player even though you're level 1 and seeing your friends are in-game but not being able to play with them, 'cos the matches only have 3 slots...I...I just couldn't.  Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow, but right now it's...it's just so discouraging.  And there's NOTHING more frustrating than having to do something over again _right_ afterwards.  A long time later sure, but...

...Notorious

11 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Saw a bunch of my Steam and/or forum friends playing, but was unable to play with them 'cos they were already in matches.

Thought about what trying to enter matches with random strangers as a Level 1 would be like.

I know it was a short beta, but...losing everything AND having to try and explain to strangers why you're an okay player even though you're level 1 and seeing your friends are in-game but not being able to play with them, 'cos the matches only have 3 slots...I...I just couldn't.  Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow, but right now it's...it's just so discouraging.  And there's NOTHING more frustrating than having to do something over again _right_ afterwards.  A long time later sure, but...

...Notorious

I feel ya. Well, here's hoping for tomorrow being better. Hopefully you can get all your things back.

Me?  I SUCK.  I haven't even gotten to do the actual cooking role even once, ever.  I'm always the gatherer/lumberjack.  Mind you, I don't mind doing that, as wandering off into the wilderness by myself as a hunter-gatherer on epic journeys away from base and then coming back with a ton of neat stuff is kinda what I DO, but...the lack of cooking knowledge is not exactly conducive to a successful one-person playthrough.  :\

I dunno...it's just the combo of logging in and finding EVERYTHING gone.  The purely cosmetic skins _and_ the levels _and_ the achivements _and_ the recipes.  I knew we weren't getting a loyal this time, but good GRIEF...
Well, it is an "unforgiving" game, after all.

...Notorious

Maybe beta needs a warning next time, even if it's was clear on the forum. People shouldn't do beta for the reward neither they should do beta if they feel discouraged playing after again.

Also, Klei shouldn't give level back because it's awful to be a level 1. Because it will still be awful for other level 1 and they can't even tell that they did the beta. It's players that should improve (the one rejecting people, if it's not clear) and become more welcoming. Especially since it's totally possible to win with level 1 : it was in forge (we won a day with a level 1 and a level 2), and here there are tasks that a level 1 could do without trouble.

So this need to change, but not by giving people level.

I had a reverse experience.

"Man this beta chest loot is horrible, good thing it's just beta. I'll level back up and have some better luck probably."

When the real deal hits: 25+ chests and it's still all mediocre. Not even an elegant.

I know, just...well, having to do something again RIGHT afterwards is just one of the most frustrating things ever.  And having people potentially treat you badly while you're doing it over again isn't really an incentive, either...

I'd be happy if we could have ONE of the four things we earned during the beta:

1.  Skins or new level-up chests with new skins

2.  Levels

3.  Recipes

4.  Achievements

Just ONE of those being there still would cheer me up.  One.  But no...

I didn't play the beta FOR the rewards, by the way, but to find out what the event was like and, well, play it.  But...well this is SO different from what happened with the Forge beta, it's a little startling.

EDIT : I actually lucked out amazingly well with the Forge chests...which probably explains why my luck was so "meh" during the Winter's Feast and Year of the Varg ones--I'd already used my luck up for the next while.  In the Forge, though, I got THREE elegants dropped (and for popular characters, too!) and easily put together two entire Forge outfits and _almost_ a third.  Also the Chicken Dance, the Cheer, the Laugh and of course the Fist Shake, for completing a Forge outfit.

But you wanna know where two of those elegants came from?  FROM MY LEVEL-UP CHESTS FOR BEING IN THE BETA!  : P

...Notorious

43 minutes ago, cptCalavera said:

You can get pretty easy level ups just by playing solo. I did a game that I lost this morning and I gained 5 levels.

Thanks.

Spoiler

Still can't make up for those 2 skins though. "sulks"

15 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

EDIT : I actually lucked out amazingly well with the Forge chests...which probably explains why my luck was so "meh" during the Winter's Feast and Year of the Varg ones--I'd already used my luck up for the next while.  In the Forge, though, I got THREE elegants dropped (and for popular characters, too!) and easily put together two entire Forge outfits and _almost_ a third.  Also the Chicken Dance, the Cheer, the Laugh and of course the Fist Shake, for completing a Forge outfit.

Wait... YOU GET LUCK? TELL ME ABOUT IT.

It sure surprised the heck out of _me_, lemme tell ya.  Up until then, the elegants I had were mainly from gifts.  (my Shadow Willow head and my floofy winter kitcoon).  Although there was the bumble spear...

Kinda bummed I lost my mourning dress from the Gorge beta, though.  FINALLY Shadow-Willow would've had something appropriate-looking to wear.  Who cares if it was originally for a little kid (probably), DST outfits are magically one-size-fits-all!

...Notorious

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

Maybe beta needs a warning next time, even if it's was clear on the forum. People shouldn't do beta for the reward neither they should do beta if they feel discouraged playing after again.

This sounds like a really good idea to me. There are a lot of players who didn't know that the beta was not rewarded, but this could make thing more clear.

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

Also, Klei shouldn't give level back because it's awful to be a level 1.

I'm sorry but I don't understand, do you mean Klei should reset our beta level to 1 or that we should keep the beta level?

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

I had a reverse experience.

"Man this beta chest loot is horrible, good thing it's just beta. I'll level back up and have some better luck probably."

When the real deal hits: 25+ chests and it's still all mediocre. Not even an elegant.

I had a similar experience, I had 3 elegants in the beta and only one now. 

9 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand, do you mean Klei should reset our beta level to 1 or that we should keep the beta level?

Sorry if it's unclear. I'm ok with both options, i just think that giving back level because people are awful with level 1 (refusing to party with them, asking them to leave) is a bad reason, because it doesn't solve the issue (people being bad with level 1). It hides the issue, it doesn't solve anything, the people still level 1 (anyone who didn't do the beta) will still encounter the problem.

The solution to this problem isn't to give back level (because it's only a solution to some people, not a solution encouraging to truly accept level 1.)

It doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to give back levels (i'm ok if they do that, i'm ok if they don't), just that it will not solve this particular issue. I hope it's more clear now :)

5 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...Notorious

Next time save yourself the self inflicted disappointment by not playing beta after it's been clearly communicated there are no rewards and no carryover. 

12 minutes ago, I Heart Popcorn said:

Next time save yourself the self inflicted disappointment by not playing beta after it's been clearly communicated there are no rewards and no carryover. 

Or just read the announcement carefully so that people know what to expect ;) Looking at the steam forum I bet most of the people just read how to opt-in, but nothing more.

I think that the complaints about getting nothing are unfounded. From what I understand it takes a lot of work to merge the Beta and Main branch servers. If Klei wanted us to keep any part of the Beta rewards, they may as well have given all of them to us.

I did.

I just didn't think they meant ANY any, is the problem.  Didn't know it was that literal.  I just thought we weren't getting something extra and special, like a loyal.

Still really freaking dispiriting to log in and see EVERYTHING gone, no matter what you guys say, and my depression has been extra bad the last few days in general (why I don't know, or I'd've fixed it already), so...yeah.

...Notorious

I can understand, this is disappointing when you expect something nice and it's not the case. It's why, if possible, it would be better if next time this is more clear, with some warning in game, so people not reading forum will know that there is no reward, and it will probably be more clear that there nothing to expect if it's an in-game warning.

10 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Perhaps we could have a little Beta Tester level sign under our name or something

6 hours ago, I Heart Popcorn said:

The thing is, for us people who where just "Oh! Cool! The betas out!" and hopped in, it wasn't communicated at all

Like I said I DID read it--maybe not the _whole_ thread, but definitely the first few pages in their entirety.  I guess it's just a case of "Oh, you don't REALLY mean that...surely you don't...right?  When the time actually comes you'll change your mind a _little_ bit, right?  Right?"  Because the Forge beta situation was SO different, I figured, they can't actually give us _nothing_, for real...

Stupid I know, but that's the way the human brain works sometimes.  :\

I WISH I could magically make myself stop being pissed off and sad about this, like, magically (snaps fingers) right now! but I can't, so...

...Notorious

Archived