Strategies here please

Quoth143

So far I've got a few of the fairly obvious strategies down:

1. Don't hoard the coins: We need at least six coins for the first cookpot and at least 4 to get seeds.
  2. There's an extra garden with fully grown potatoes where the Elder is: If the Gnaw wants a soup, where the old pig village is past the large forest, you'll find a garden with fully grown potatoes. Harvest them and make potato soup. 
  3. Fertilizer: The Elder who is sleeping will actually give you fertilizer for wood. Take advantage of that to grow crops faster.

Feel free to add more. 

4 hours ago, Queron81 said:

You only get a blue coin, if the Gnaw wants a dessert.

Not true. You can check the recipies once you make them and feed them to the Gnaw. Each have a different payout, and many recipies also include a blue coin if handed on a silver plate. Pasta also awards 2 blue coins, but 1 blue coin if given on a silver plate(but you get a red mark as well).

When you get the Salt Rack, make 3 salts from the salt rock. The goat who sells bucket-o-poop sells a safe-key for 3 salts.  At the south of the village where the flour-and-salt machine is are two safes. So far in every game, the safe on the RIGHT has a large cookpot dish and a silver plate. With this you can avoid buying it, and you get a free plate to get your red mark for the pasta.

I think the safe on the left has a large casserole pot and similar silver items. As well as a syrup container although I don't know what it's use is yet.

EDIT: Would seem I'm wrong. The safes are random, and the payout on the recipe list only shows the most recent payment you've gotten from the Gnaw.

Recipe book showed me blue coin for the Jelly Roll. But I only got the blue coin, when the gnaw wanted a dessert, but then always. When i gave the Jelly Roll, when he doesn't wanted a dessert, I only got normal coins. Recipe Book showed me then the normal coin for Jelly Roll.

Jelly-Roll.thumb.jpg.2919754f50a20e9bd29788d8a5327f70.jpg

3 hours ago, cropo said:

Not true. You can check the recipies once you make them and feed them to the Gnaw. Each have a different payout, and many recipies also include a blue coin if handed on a silver plate. Pasta also awards 2 blue coins, but 1 blue coin if given on a silver plate(but you get a red mark as well)

This is why I don't like how they did the recipe book.

1) The type is not always limited to what it says once you get the recipe. It can have multiple and will update once discovered but people take it for face value. 

I'd suggest a ??? be added to indicate there's another type associated with it.

2) The issue we're seeing here is similar. The recipe book displays the latest amount of money you made from giving that food to the Gnaw. Just because it says a blue coin doesn't mean if always gives one.

In the case of giving the Gnaw an item when he doesn't want it the payout is less. For this scenario no blue coin.

Just now, Zeklo said:

This is why I don't like how they did the recipe book.

1) The type is not always limited to what it says once you get the recipe. It can have multiple and will update once discovered but people take it for face value. 

I'd suggest a ??? be added to indicate there's another type associated with it.

2) The issue we're seeing here is similar. The recipe book displays the latest amount of money you made from giving that food to the Gnaw. Just because it says a blue coin doesn't mean if always gives one.

In the case of giving the Gnaw an item when he doesn't want it the payout is less. For this scenario no blue coin.

Interesting. I've never tried giving it to the gnaw when it wanted a snack, so I guess I was wrong on that. I'll edit my post.

Tips I have learned

• So for the 4th meal, make a jelly roll so you can get the key early for tomatoes and bigger dishes.
  • get a salt rack ASAP, you need it to get salt for the keys for plates
  • For the 7th meal, try to get Lasagna on a silver plate to get a red mark for milk
  • And last use the red mark to get goat milk to make pizza (goatmilk + tomato + meat scrap + flour; in an oven) on a silver plate to get a Gnaw Favor (or any other cheese product)
  • Get 3 Gnaw Favor to win!

Having now won here is what I can say:

Cook/Gardener/Chopper is mostly bogus.

• The "Cook" is more like the food handler. Since they're always at the center they can trow and plant while free on time—and no, waiting for a thing to cook doesn't count as being busy. The farmland is close enough for you to work on without burning your meal. They remain at the center.
  • The "Gardner" is moreso the "Fetcher". They handle buying stuff, refining, and purchasing seeds. They of course plant when the "Cook" is actually cooking. They remain more so in the salt-rock area of the map.
  • The "Chopper" is... well still pretty much the chopper but also a Fetcher. If you have 2 stacks of logs and 3 poo buckets at the center you can start acting like a Fetcher yourself. This includes looting salt ponds to turn into keys while the "Cook" and "Gardner" are working on the dish. They remain more so in the forest and pig-area of the map.

On the topic of money.

• Always always plan ahead. You're gonna end up needing a way to cook Snack, Vegetable, Bread, Soup, Meat, Fish, Dessert, Pasta, and Cheese (as well as a salt... thing). Once you pass the meat/fish round you're not going to need much more purchased equipment (at least you shouldn't), and you'll start to accumulate more and more cash. DO NOT leave it sitting there. Even if you don't need them buy a few of each seed pack and leave them by the farm UNOPENED. That way, once a craving does come up you don't need to run all the way to the shop. Just unpack, plant, poo, and cook.
  • Never carry the cash. As tempting as it is, and as good as you think your judgement may be, you're holding the team back by keeping it all in one place. Up to three people should be able to buy things at the same time—not the same person in three times the time.
  • Don't rush new stations. For the majority of the first part of the game you only ever need one station. No really, you don't need much more. Which leads us to...

Recipes

• Gather recipes. So you just learned how to get to the "pasta" round with some new meat dish you learned. DO NOT RELY ON IT. Cook another meat dish, maybe at a different station. A fish dish would be handy too. Before you can aim to win you need to have some flexibility. You're not always going to get the cravings you've practiced with.
  • The cook is the cook. I know everyone likes being the cook, but the player with the most know-how NEEDS to be the cook. The cook is the one who is literally making the dishes. If you're trying to win and you only know a couple pot recipes then you shouldn't be the cook, and the thing is—the actual cook is going to end up cooking things you never would've been able to, and suddenly you might be suitable to be a cook next game.

There's certainly more that can be said, but this'll do for now.

8 hours ago, Kawasaki said:

There is a 3th chest hidden behind a wreck near the wheat making machine. Spin the camera to see it. If its not random,  then i got silver bolw and plate, 3x tree taps, syrup can or whatever it is. 

The safes are always random.

Also, this might help, but I always collect the four potatoes and the two rot (good fertilizer) next to the Pig Elder at the beginning of the game. Then I use three of the potatoes to make potato chips in the oven to satisfy the initial snack craving. I save the last potato for when the Gnaw wants meat or fish to make meat pie or fish and chips, respectively. This saves on time to not have to grow something, and all I have to do is get wheat and meat or fish to finish the food. But I've only ever played the Gorge as a 2-player co-op, so while that last potato saves a lot of time for us, I'm not sure how effective this tactic would be with three players. xD

Gonna repost my post from the other Gorge thread over here.

Managed to beat it.

Some REALLY important points:

• Stone soup start is very strong, as it allows the four free potatoes to be saved for later
  • The first desert can easily be Jelly Roll, as it gives a blue coin to open the park
  • It's possible to save flour by making Jelly Sandwich in the grill instead of making Bread in the Oven
  • Potatoes are a godsend crop, they can make a snack and serve as filler for stuff like meatballs and fish stew
    • Otherwise, the farmer really needs to grow wheat and tomatoes (I would constantly require flour during this run)
  • We would not have won without getting salt really early
    • Generally, you want to have salt set up before the pasta round, that way you can silver plate the pasta (really important)
    • Silver plate the pasta by trading the salt to get a key, use the key to open up the safes to get some silver plates
    • A silver plated pasta gives a red coin
  • With the early red coin, it is possible to get early favors; you want to cook quick and easy dishes like Vegetable Soup or Meatballs to try and get to the below dish setups
    • Dessert: Trifle or Cheesecake
      • I suggest Cheesecake much more if you can do it, it's more expensive (requires one more milk) but if it's silver plated, you get another red coin to get more milk
    • Snack: Grilled Cheese
      • This is good because it only takes one milk, and can be cooked after Cheesecake
      • This dish burns FAST, make sure you don't overcook it and use a small flame (I did this, but we managed to recover)
    • Cheese: Pizza or Mac and Cheese
      • Usually, you will use your second red coin getting milk for this dishes
      • These dishes will usually be the last favor
  • While the cook is doing his or her thing, the wood chopper and the farmer should be coordinating the salt harvests and key pickups
    • Usually, the farmer will be giving salt to the wood chopper
    • The wood chopper will trade for the key, and hand it to the farmer to unlock the silver plates
    • There is no need to buy a large casserole dish, as the safe has it (I think, please help me verify this)
  • We actually never made any use of spice, salted food, beefalo meat, or sugar
    • These materials might be important for faster runs, but if you are just looking to clear, don't bother

If there are any other specific questions, I might be able to answer them.

Little python script I wrote for myself to keep track of failed recipes and seeds. It basically lets you add failed recipes i.e. "morsel berry potatoe" and searches through the already added ones for possible dublicates i.e. "potatoe morsel berry" if there are no dublicates it adds it. you can also list all failed recipes and search through them for a certain one. Same for seeds. I might add a GUI later on.

recTest.py

I removed my original guide because it was outdated. I would still like to thank Amiexa for creating and working on the gorge help & recipe thread and all the helpful players who contributed to that thread as well.

I also want to thank collect12 for replying to me and helping me to figure out what craving Mushroom soup gives a favor for.

Archived