New Player Friendly Oxygen Generator

Most new players need some method of using electrolyzers once algae supplies run low, but typically they'll either place them directly in the base, or in a separate room with pumps and filters. I'd like to bring back a design that I've redesigned from one of @Saturnus's old schematics that would benefit new players immensely. With the removal of drip cooling, a redesign was needed. I build this schematic specifically around the ability to be serviceable, and completely accessible for new players to tinker with the design.

This setup had several criteria:

• Easy to build with cheap, easily obtainable materials
  • Stable power, with mostly self-sustaining O2 generation
  • Temperature output at comfortable 20-25oC
  • Duplicant accessible for ease of repair/upgrading
  • Continuous operation capable

Everything is made using gold amalgam doors and machinery, iron ore radiant pipes, iron ore tempshift plates, and iron/gold ore power systems. Any insulated tiles/pipes can be made with igneous rock or any material, as insulation is 1% thermal conductivity. The metal tiles can be swapped out for iron doors early game, but replacing them with metal tiles makes a decent difference later.

The most key component of this setup is the free separation of hydrogen and oxygen. Gas filters require 120W of power each, and typically one is needed per electrolyzer. This design uses free separation of hydrogen, relying on oxygen to sink down and hydrogen to collect at the ceiling. Once primed, there is zero chance of hydrogen getting into the oxygen pumps, and vice versa.

Another key component of this design is the central pool of water. This replaces Saturnus's drip cooled borg cube design, and unfortunately relies on an external aquatuner to keep it cool. The aquatuner does require an external power source, but once the water is at 20oC, it is almost never active. Getting this pool of water to temperature can be challenging, but with a few tons of ice added with geyser water, you'll balance out to an even temperature.

The final key component is the radiant pipes. These can be normal pipes made of granite early on, but rebuilding them as radiant pipes through the coolant is important to getting the output to temperature.

The power draw of the circuit averages about 800W. The electolyzers and O2 pumps run at nearly 100% uptime, with minimal uptime of the hydrogen pump coolant cycling pump. I kept the automation to an absolute minimum, for ease of setup and reduced need for refined metals. The only sensors truly required are the two next to the hydrogen pump, set to 1000g/m3, and the temperature sensor controlling the coolant cycling pump.

Overlay Views:

Spoiler

1111.thumb.png.e64931ae6b3b1e0d6f31717097998ce5.png

22222.thumb.png.860b78aed76b1e5144d95bf0af3f45f2.png

33333.thumb.png.20a842f8858ba8c7ff3c2977b0171017.png

4444.thumb.png.7e41a9052f1f06786bff8c42c3588f29.png

55555.thumb.png.df4c0e06726f05553d8103024e37420b.png

Nice and clear setup : ).

Did they changed the insulation value? I thought it was 5% and in the patchnotes are only the pipes mentioned "Liquid/Gas insulated pipes are now much more insulated".

When i started to write my comment i thought you waste a hugh possability to destroy heat because you feed the cool water to the electrolyzers, but next time i should look at all overlays first ^^ 

7 hours ago, panggul_mas said:

Doesn't the excess power from the two generators get underutilized by the main grid since they are on the other side of the transformer? Surely they are generating more power than the setup needs?

It does not, the hydrogen generators aren't running full time, only when the hydrogen gas pump supplies them. Theoretically the electrolyzers output 112g/s of hydrogen, but they aren't running 100% duty cycle. The limiting factor of this build is the oxygen pumps, which max out at 500g/s each. You can place the hydrogen generators wherever feels most optimal, the beauty of this design is its modularity.

7 hours ago, WhatTheDuck said:

Did they changed the insulation value? I thought it was 5% and in the patchnotes are only the pipes mentioned "Liquid/Gas insulated pipes are now much more insulated".

Insulated tiles and pipes are now 1% of the base material, which for almost all purposes is as good as abyssalite. I only consider digging and using abyssalite for stuff like coolant tanks and volcanoes.

7 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

Post about cooling without thermal overlay. Please fix.

It's not exactly a cooling build, it's centered around generating oxygen. You can build it without the cooling tank if you don't care about heating your base in the short term. The water inside can be replaced with oil or pH2O if you like, at any temperature you feel.

Spoiler

77777.thumb.png.62b2fe05505d55debbe96d0282219032.png

5 hours ago, MidnightSteam said:

What's your Oxygen Generation Kg/Cycle?

The oxygen output is 1000g/s (600kg/cycle), the maximum of the combined two pumps. The two oxygen pumps are running 100% duty cycle, and are the only limiting factor of this build. Feel free to rebuild it with more pumps, but this configuration is enough for at least 12 duplicants and 16 exosuits, with oxygen to spare.

I've tried adding a third oxygen pump to the build, but it doesn't fit well, and lacks symmetry. Much easier to build a completely separate module for additional duplicants.

1 hour ago, crypticorb said:

The oxygen output is 1000g/s (600kg/cycle)

Sounds about right. I was getting from 600-625 Kg/cycle. Also, I've put the aquatuner right in the middle(surrounded by insulated tiles.) :D  The 2x3 space for water was enough to cool everything.

2 minutes ago, FenrirZeroZero said:

Question: Why cool the pumps and electrolysers? Isulate them and only cool the air would be my aproach. Or do they overhead now with gold build?

The pumps never overheat with the 70oC output of the electrolyzers, so you might be correct. I adapted this directly from an older build that cooled the air directly rather than radiant piping through the coolant, so I suppose there is still room for optimization, and reduction of exotic materials.

5 minutes ago, malloc said:

Don't you need a hydrogen overflow?  This design won't consume all the hydrogen which will eventually over-pressurise and stop the electrolyzers.

The hydrogen production is limited by the oxygen gas pumps, so the electrolyzers do not produce a full 200g/s of hydrogen. There's still room for optimization, but with this setup you can easily supply perfectly temperature modulated oxygen at 1000g/s.

I really like this design. Its not reliant on wheezeworts and output gas temp can be set exact. With polluted H2O the aquatuner would barely ever run. The question is, how small can you make the gas/Pipe radiator (and the pWatertank)? I'm going to build it for my accept every1 challenge (1dup per 3 cycles) so no point in making a small system.

If we add 2 gaspumps and 2 electrolyzers and widen the system by 4 squares the O2 capacity would be 2kg/s or 20 duplicants without diver lungs. Can you attach pictures of gastemperature inside the watertank?

13 hours ago, crypticorb said:

The hydrogen production is limited by the oxygen gas pumps, so the electrolyzers do not produce a full 200g/s of hydrogen. There's still room for optimization, but with this setup you can easily supply perfectly temperature modulated oxygen at 1000g/s.

I haven't calculated the numbers but from what I'm testing there's extra Hydrogen going around and I had to pump it out or the pipes would get clogged. The biggest bottleneck with this build is cooling the aquatuner lol. My idea of putting it in the middle was a huge mistake.

It works well in debug mode when everything has cooled to the right temperature but building it in-game was a disaster. XD I'll have to move the aquatuner next to an AETN machine and pump in the excess hydrogen.

12 hours ago, MidnightSteam said:

The biggest bottleneck with this build is cooling the aquatuner lol.

Could this be caused by the specific heat of water? Could you instead try pumping crude oil or petroleum through the aquatuner?

On 5/3/2018 at 10:13 PM, crypticorb said:

Most new players need some method of using electrolyzers once algae supplies run low, but typically they'll either place them directly in the base, or in a separate room with pumps and filters. I'd like to bring back a design that I've redesigned from one of @Saturnus's old schematics that would benefit new players immensely. With the removal of drip cooling, a redesign was needed. I build this schematic specifically around the ability to be serviceable, and completely accessible for new players to tinker with the design.

Everything is made using gold amalgam doors and machinery, iron ore radiant pipes, iron ore tempshift plates, and iron/gold ore power systems. Any insulated tiles/pipes can be made with igneous rock or any material, as insulation is 1% thermal conductivity. The metal tiles can be swapped out for iron doors early game, but replacing them with metal tiles makes a decent difference later.

The most key component of this setup is the free separation of hydrogen and oxygen. Gas filters require 120W of power each, and typically one is needed per electrolyzer. This design uses free separation of hydrogen, relying on oxygen to sink down and hydrogen to collect at the ceiling. Once primed, there is zero chance of hydrogen getting into the oxygen pumps, and vice versa.

Another key component of this design is the central pool of water. This replaces Saturnus's drip cooled borg cube design, and unfortunately relies on an external aquatuner to keep it cool. The aquatuner does require an external power source, but once the water is at 20oC, it is almost never active. Getting this pool of water to temperature can be challenging, but with a few tons of ice added with geyser water, you'll balance out to an even temperature.

The final key component is the radiant pipes. These can be normal pipes made of granite early on, but rebuilding them as radiant pipes through the coolant is important to getting the output to temperature.

The power draw of the circuit averages about 800W. The electolyzers and O2 pumps run at nearly 100% uptime, with minimal uptime of the hydrogen pump coolant cycling pump. I kept the automation to an absolute minimum, for ease of setup and reduced need for refined metals. The only sensors truly required are the two next to the hydrogen pump, set to 1000g/m3, and the temperature sensor controlling the coolant cycling pump.

Overlay Views:

Hide contents

definitely flexible

5 hours ago, feralfoo said:

Could this be caused by the specific heat of water? Could you instead try pumping crude oil or petroleum through the aquatuner?

Yeah I could but then it'd be a mid-game build and requires more hours of testing which I'll just leave as is and come back later. I might switch to a water tank with wheezeworts in hydrogen and use the new radiant pipes. From my testing it looks really promising.

3 hours ago, TehPlayer14 said:

I don't think new people are going to build that

Yeah I was kind of thinking that myself. It's a great design, but I'm not at the point of using temp shift plates and automation. Still consider myself lucky to keep farming up and running with 6 dupes or getting to the point where I can switch from outhouses to plumbing.

ONI is like Minecraft in that there is a group of people who are very good with more advanced things (like redstone builds and automated farming) and there is another group that just want to successfully build a base and dig. Unfortunately I'm in that second group.

Might try to build this eventually, but it's almost like building a completely new base. Other players are so much further it's like jumping into an MMO that's already been up and running for years.

7 hours ago, scientas said:

ONI is like Minecraft in that there is a group of people who are very good with more advanced things (like redstone builds and automated farming) and there is another group that just want to successfully build a base and dig. Unfortunately I'm in that second group.

Depends on the definition of what is redstone and when

Back in Times of Minecraft Beta Redstone was simple stuff connect the dots etc. (Minecraft relied more on construction and knowing the game behavior to execute certain stuff)

Nowadays everything got essentiality replaced by command blocks

On 5/3/2018 at 11:13 PM, crypticorb said:

Overlay Views:

Hide contents

I like your design.  Its definitely a little more simple to build than mine, though it does the same type of cooling and gas separation.

Archived