Yet Another Self-Powered Self-Cooled O2 Module (updated)

Note: if you want to discuss Borg Cube vs. Wheezewort use for any reason start your own thread.

Note: there's a long time run updated build changes here https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/87811-yet-another-self-powered-self-cooled-o2-module-updated/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-1006735

Yes. There's been a few O2 builds around lately but this one is slightly different because I had some specific requirements.

• no wheezeworts could be used
  • no exotic material could be used
  • easy, relatively n00b friendly construction
  • must output 1000g/s stable at 20C to 27C
  • self powered and self cooled
  • maintenance free, build and forget design

It's no secret I consider wheezewort cheats so I refuse to use them in any builds so this is obviously cooled by my old trusty borg cube design.

I wanted this to be a beginner, and beginning of colony, friendly build, so no exotic materials are used anywhere. Temp shift plates are iron ore, cooling medium is water, all machinery, metal tiles and wiring is iron one or refined iron. No need for diamond, plastic, crude oil, petroleum, gold or anything exotic.

All normal tiles and piping is abyssalite except for the floor supporting the hydrogen generators which is igneous rock.

All atmo sensors are set to "above 600g". All thermo sensors are set to "above 36C" except the one inside the borg cube which is set to "above 16C".

Once it's up and running it will run forever as long as you keep it fed with 1126g/s water at any temperature, and you don't block the O2 line out and hydrogen overflow line.

Picture Gallery: 

Spoiler

5a8b1ce904c90_2018-02-19(5).png.62070e3367fba907c97a7b0de2c53e0b.png2018-02-19.thumb.png.7e7241c6d3724710fc0c24e69eadae41.png5a8b1cdb65613_2018-02-19(1).thumb.png.4e251bfd454fa68fd6be4f2042d06d31.png5a8b1cd5400f7_2018-02-19(2).thumb.png.af8614e5ebfe24c958baa4a4f3614f66.png5a8b1ccfe25f8_2018-02-19(3).thumb.png.6b6fdf12e64bc1c537b65bb07ebf65cf.png5a8b1cca548c0_2018-02-19(4).thumb.png.8359a097f17de9c247e89fda529ff6b3.png

Save file: occ O2 cube.sav

Thanks for the detailed description and pictures; this is a nice, useful design.

I have to say that I am utterly confused by refusing to use wheezeworts because they're cheats but embracing the borg cube. To me, any internally consistent worldview should either treat them the same (use or refuse to use both), or be OK with wheezeworts but not the borg cube. I don't understand the mental gymnastics necessary to think the cube (which exploits what either is or originally was unintended behavior) is ok but that the plants (which are very clearly a feature the devs intended to include) are not.

Plants that does not require anything to grow and magically disintegrates heat energy is obviously cheating. There is no way around it, and I'm not going to discuss it any further.

The Borg Cube uses an exploit, sure, but it highly optimizes that exploit. It still requires energy to run, so it's not a free ride but just very low cost.

Nice design, though I too don't understand the preference of Borg Cube over Worts.

I'm happy with Worts personally. When used efficiently, three are plenty for 1 kg/s production and I never really needed more. I run small colonies, I guess?

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Plants that does not require anything to grow and magically disintegrates heat energy is obviously cheating. There is no way around it, and I'm not going to discuss it any further.

Things that are added deliberately by developers into the game are not cheating.

Very nice design Saturnus!

I will try not to step on anyone toes so I'll just say wheezwort or not, Borg cube or not everyone should do his thing. 

But I do have a question. Can this work if you leave out the metal tile above the AT? 

I don't know too much about Borg cubes but I think I know that's the part where the "dark drip cooling magic" happens *soo scary ;D 

My guess is yes but the AT would have to run all the time so it's not self sufficient powerwise  

1 minute ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

My guess is yes but the AT would have to run all the time so it's not self sufficient powerwise  

That is correct.

Note that you can fully replace it with a hydrogen room with 4 wheezeworts on a temperature controlled airlocks. Fits in the exact same size. 

Is it possible that they can't fix the drip cooling bug because it would break the foundation of all the heat mechanics of the game?  I mean is it likely that it's not just an error of floating integers and more like they would need to redesign the mechanic from the ground up, essentially starting over?

That is correct.

Note that you can fully replace it with a hydrogen room with 4 wheezeworts on a temperature controlled airlocks. Fits in the exact same size. 

Thanks.

Yes I thought so :D but I will try something different

7 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

What about drip cooling?
^^

Just leave out the metal tile and use p-water. No drip cooling but higher energy demand (Who cares when u can build Nat gas gen over 9000) p-water is my guess since it has better cooling properties. Or liquid Nat gas if you like the colour. I do :D

Saturnus I have upgrade for your build.

I added gas bridge (it will better mix gases, will be mixed temp not like 20 in one portion of oxygen and 27 on second cose we have 2 pumps)

And granite pipes inside the cooling box instead of abyssalite - will cooldown better.now 18-20 degree

What do you think?

o2up.sav

They changed the specific heat capacity of igneous rock (and magma) with occupational upgrade.

Thank you for advices, very nice station man. Cose before that, I've use alot of energy and thermal regulators to gain 16 degree oxygen. Now it will be much easier.

1 hour ago, Nativel said:

Thank you for advices, very nice station man. Cose before that, I've use alot of energy and thermal regulators to gain 16 degree oxygen. Now it will be much easier.

Until the exploit is fixed and you're all stuck with "Borked cubes" littering your bases :p 

Good work as ever @Saturnus, but as you're well aware - this sickens me as much as my love of wheezeworts sickens you :D 

20 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

and what about puft and morb and hatch? 

They take something in and give something back. It's like slicksters, they're just mass converters.

If you guys still don't get it. Look above where I put in 4 wheezeworts. It requires no skill, no finesse, no calculation. Wheezeworts are just lame cheats. 

Unrealistic? Yes. Cheat? No. 

I see your position on it and (while I won't go so far as to not use them), they're slightly unrealistic (even if they can be explained from a biological perspective). 

However, using them is not a cheat, nor an exploit. While unrealistic, they're intentional aspects of the game. 

So while not disagreeing about how they're unrealistic, in the interest of correct terminology, I must object to calling them cheats. 

Archived