Insanity!

So I was hurriedly cutting down a tree while running from the mind beasties, when I realized, wouldn't it be awesome if extremely low insanity causes in-game things to not be what they are? Like be cutting down a tree and suddenlly realize it's a berry bush. Or you may see a tree off in the distance and as you get closer, you realize it's a Tallbird ready to make your life awful. Hallucinations beyond the monsters should be considered.

That actually sounds like a very good idea. Maybe for 30 and lower sanity.or 50 & lower starts object hallucinations, and 25 & lower adds mob hallucinations.While decreasing from 50 - 25 and 25 - 0 will gradually raise the occurrence of the hallucinations.

Oh god the music box and the hands and then the darkness help meeeeeeeeeee

That's my favourite one.

I just found this little surprise... At first I was thinking, "Oh, that's some lullaby music..." and then I was like, "Eeep Hands!" Finally, "NOT MY FIRE!"I've been playing around with Sanity. Testing things, seeing how it all works out and I must say that was a big surprise. Right now Sanity seems tuned well but I think that the creatures related to it may need a slight bit of tuning so that nightmare fuel doesn't seem impossible to acquire. While the danger should be present, those who are just dipping their toes into what it means to be insane, or tipping the line should not be punished so hard while dealing with them.It's very easy to get into a negative spiral concerning sanity without proper clothing, food and time of day.

Maybe you should do the same when replying to others comments.

That makes no sense. I did express what I disliked about your comment; I dislike that you only attacked the update without giving elaborate criticism. If you hate something, why not express why you hate it so that it can maybe become better in the future? These forums have proven time and time again that the developers listen, so don't hesitate to tell them what you don't like, rather than just say "this sucks". It gives them nothing to work with.Explain what it is you don't enjoy about the update, or it's pointless.

While the general idea if insanity sounds like fun i have some problems with it:First the penalty on wormholes seems a bit steep to me, but that may be since i used to put up main camp at a location where i had quick access to 2 wormholes so i could fast travel nicely - this seems to be history now.Second the hallucinations seem to hit a bit to hard, seasoned players might be able to live with them but new ones might be turned off by being killed on day 3-5 by them (since they don't have a clue how the mechanic works and no gear to defend).Third - and that was the biggest problem for me - i had to disable distortions in the options since the visual effect made me quickly feel like an epileptic seizure is forming. Maybe add a warning to the game so it won't by accident kill off the users instead of only the toons.post-9603-13764591002286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Masterpintsman

I was enjoying the game until this update. The sanity aspect is simply not fun at all and takes away from the rest of the game instead of enhancing it. Just MHO...Quite disappointed.

I kind of agree. It's not a game about not starving anymore.I do like the insanity aspect, but it is the whole game now, while it should be just a part of the game.I played without doing too much and was insane and killed after 1 night. What is the point in wormholes if you can't use them? More focus should be put on the FEAR of the insanity, rather than the getting killed by shadows part of insanity. And as someone else stated, have it change the world around. Trees aren't trees, they could be rocks, or berry bushes, or spider nests even.I just feel that the whole vibe of the game, the whole mechanic of what the game was meant to be, is gone, and it's now just an action adventure game to fight insanity monsters and nothing else.Just tone it down some please, or at least give us the option to play without insanity present

I kind of agree. It's not a game about not starving anymore.

I do like the insanity aspect, but it is the whole game now, while it should be just a part of the game.

I played without doing too much and was insane and killed after 1 night. What is the point in wormholes if you can't use them? More focus should be put on the FEAR of the insanity, rather than the getting killed by shadows part of insanity. And as someone else stated, have it change the world around. Trees aren't trees, they could be rocks, or berry bushes, or spider nests even.

I just feel that the whole vibe of the game, the whole mechanic of what the game was meant to be, is gone, and it's now just an action adventure game to fight insanity monsters and nothing else.

Just tone it down some please, or at least give us the option to play without insanity present

That first line...

Do you think "Call of Duty" is still about Duty? It's only "leftclick = kill" without any reasonable story.

Things change, but keep their name...

The game was hardly about starving before because food was so easily required, its when you start putting all these threats together, sanity, spoilage, new research. That the game becomes survival as intended. Wife never played the game before the update is on day 17 from her very first time playing. Insanity is fine.

Waking up with coffee, browsing this forum, and this line out of context just made my day. I agree, it's not so bad! More people should try it before they judge... :biggrin-new:

Wow.. i'm seeing this all differently now :DEveryone is like "insanity is so cool" and "i really like the insanity" :D

I like the insanity, but once my sanity is low I am going to die. Flowers give me 5 points back, which is terrible because by the time I get to it a shadow monster has done more damage than what was healed.Those shadow monsters will chase me for miles. This makes it brutal to try most methods of sanity restoring. I can't live past day 10 and I used to live about as long as I wanted.Although, I LOVE the campfire at night now. I just wish sanity restoration would be easier.

I kind of agree. It's not a game about not starving anymore.I do like the insanity aspect, but it is the whole game now, while it should be just a part of the game.I played without doing too much and was insane and killed after 1 night. What is the point in wormholes if you can't use them? More focus should be put on the FEAR of the insanity, rather than the getting killed by shadows part of insanity. And as someone else stated, have it change the world around. Trees aren't trees, they could be rocks, or berry bushes, or spider nests even.I just feel that the whole vibe of the game, the whole mechanic of what the game was meant to be, is gone, and it's now just an action adventure game to fight insanity monsters and nothing else.Just tone it down some please, or at least give us the option to play without insanity present

I don't like the sanity feature as it is either, for much the same reasons. After spending two days just running from a hairy insanity monster I figured it would probably feel more rewarding to just die and start over. The game features felt incredibly complex to me as it is (played only about 25 hours, perhaps I'm slower than average, I don't know), having to figure out sanity on top of that seems a tad too much for me. I think I understand the appeal though. And especially the idea about things morphing into other things when you're not in the pink sounds really cool :)Maybe indeed offer the option to turn sanity off? I would probably like to have another go at it later, after I've grasped the other basics, but where I am now, it's too much at once. For the first time I'm feeling too overwhelmed, losing the urge to restart over and over again no matter how many times I die.

I wonder if there is or could be a special plant that restores sanity...? It should be rare and hard to find, if it exists, otherwise the challenge is gone. Instead of just finding the plant, let's say you have to make a fire and make a tea or other preparation with it...?ETA: never mind. I guess there are foods we can cook to regain sanity. I keep dying before I make a crock pot...

Edited by ucw

I like the insanity, but once my sanity is low I am going to die. Flowers give me 5 points back, which is terrible because by the time I get to it a shadow monster has done more damage than what was healed.Those shadow monsters will chase me for miles. This makes it brutal to try most methods of sanity restoring. I can't live past day 10 and I used to live about as long as I wanted.Although, I LOVE the campfire at night now. I just wish sanity restoration would be easier.

Bedrolls, make bedrolls

Third - and that was the biggest problem for me - i had to disable distortions in the options since the visual effect made me quickly feel like an epileptic seizure is forming. Maybe add a warning to the game so it won't by accident kill off the users instead of only the toons.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3156[/ATTACH]

This is important. They should be disabled by default and this warning to be shown when enabling.

Oh my god, i hate that game, it's awful, it's stupid and it's ******* GOOD. This definitely is a good update, possibly one of the best. I love the monsters, the graphics AND THE SANITY. Woow. And the wiki information is wrong – it's written that the horrifiyng shadows don't appear on day 1 and I, hopeful about that, just started a new game, quickly found a wormhole, decreased sanity to 0 and watched the graphics, until three giant hedgehogs appeared and started to follow me and KILLED ME UNTIL THE NIGHT. I should never trust sites until i'm not sure what happens.And really, Sanity can't just change the heritance and the color of the screen and shouldn't add some monsters, it must change the whole world, mechanics and perspective. I've got an idea – when in sanity, the player can walk through water until he understands that it's a SWAMP. And some animals shouldn't run from crazy people – like birds and rabbits. Spiders ,logically, shouldn't become hostile to a person that acts the same as a spider. Some objects should be seen so close until you don't understand that it's on the other part of the island, the character should get others characters' perks, and become others characters. Player must obtain parts of the story of the game, like when seeing maxwell talking something more than "perhaps you should find something to eat", he should gather different resources when insane and etc. The insanity MUST HAVE ADVANTAGES, otherwise it's not worth to go insane so fast. And insanity comes and kills GRADUALLY, not suddenly, and the KLEI team should work more about that.But anyway, i like this game, i will totally ignore most of my other games for playing this :kiwi:

Oh my god, i hate that game, it's awful, it's stupid and it's ******* GOOD. This definitely is a good update, possibly one of the best. I love the monsters, the graphics AND THE SANITY. Woow. And the wiki information is wrong – it's written that the horrifiyng shadows don't appear on day 1 and I, hopeful about that, just started a new game, quickly found a wormhole, decreased sanity to 0 and watched the graphics, until three giant hedgehogs appeared and started to follow me and KILLED ME UNTIL THE NIGHT. I should never trust sites until i'm not sure what happens.And really, Sanity can't just change the heritance and the color of the screen and shouldn't add some monsters, it must change the whole world, mechanics and perspective. I've got an idea – when in sanity, the player can walk through water until he understands that it's a SWAMP. And some animals shouldn't run from crazy people – like birds and rabbits. Spiders ,logically, shouldn't become hostile to a person that acts the same as a spider. Some objects should be seen so close until you don't understand that it's on the other part of the island, the character should get others characters' perks, and become others characters. Player must obtain parts of the story of the game, like when seeing maxwell talking something more than "perhaps you should find something to eat", he should gather different resources when insane and etc. The insanity MUST HAVE ADVANTAGES, otherwise it's not worth to go insane so fast. And insanity comes and kills GRADUALLY, not suddenly, and the KLEI team should work more about that.But anyway, i like this game, i will totally ignore most of my other games for playing this :kiwi:

What is the point in wormholes if you can't use them?

Oh but you can. You simply have to wait until you have means of lowering down your insanity, like a dapper vest and the like.

Wormholes are supposed to be midgame shortcuts for when you explored enough. This way you still have things to enjoy when you are on day 40 instead of experiencing all the game has to offer in the first 5 days.

For example, you can't make nether portals in Minecraft until you mined some diamonds (unless you exploit the fact that you can make obsidian in a specific place by cooling lava with water, but that's your choice to make).