With the new geyers in the game, steam geysers produce a lot less water. I found 2 on my map, and they do not produce enough water

to run two electrolysers and a small berry farm. I wanted to create a NG plant, but the amount of water this will take will mean I won't be able to support this at all.

Currently my base has 10 dupes running around, but I'd like to expand it, however, with the lack of replenishable water, making oxygen is going to be challenging.

Anyone got any tips on ways to increase my water income or oxygen manufacture? I'm considering a puft slime farm to make algae I'm just not sure how sustainable this will be, nor have any idea on how to best produce pO2 for them.

I also have 2 polluted water geysers, but their idle times are massive, so I can't really count on these either. ( one of them finally entered it's active period )

And I'd have to boil or sieve the water to purify it first to make use of it.

I also had some issues with the lack of water during the preview.

Try building some temp shift plates (granite igneous rock for temperature storage) near the geyser, also add 2 wheeze wort above and temp shift plates leading to them.

Problem with geysers is that the steam over-pressurizes and thus stops the geyser. If the temperature around the geyser is stable and the steam can condensate quickly, your water output will be much higher.

I wish pufts could be a sustainable algae source but their conversion rate is 2 PO2 to 1 Slime and you only get 200g to 400g at a time.  Even with the max 4 pufts to a stable that's not enough to run a distiller

Best to switch to mushroom farming to save water and pufts can sustain those 

11 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I wish pufts could be a sustainable algae source but their conversion rate is 2 PO2 to 1 Slime and you only get 200g to 400g at a time.  Even with the max 4 pufts to a stable that's not enough to run a distiller

Best to switch to mushroom farming to save water and pufts can sustain those 

They only need to be in a stable to lay eggs.  Otherwise you can crowd them for production(once tame)

There's plenty of water around the map, you can also make your own water.

Here's somethings you can do:

Natural Gas Geyser -> Natural Gas Generator -> Water Sieve -> Water

Slime -> Algae Distiller -> Water Sieve -> Water

Water -> Lavatories -> Water Sieve -> 2.34 * Water

Polluted Water -> Water Sieve -> Water

Polluted Water -> Drip on magma -> Water

Polluted Ice -> Polluted Water Tank -> Water Sieve -> Water

Ice/Snow -> Water Tank -> Water

18 minutes ago, Arash70 said:

There's plenty of water around the map, you can also make your own water.

Here's somethings you can do:

Natural Gas Geyser -> Natural Gas Generator -> Water Sieve -> Water

Slime -> Algae Distiller -> Water Sieve -> Water

Water -> Lavatories -> Water Sieve -> 1.4 * Water

Polluted Water -> Water Sieve -> Water

Polluted Water -> Drip on magma -> Water

Polluted Ice -> Polluted Water Tank -> Water Sieve -> Water

Ice/Snow -> Water Tank -> Water

Oil --> refinery --> petrol --> petrol generator --> polluted water --> sieve --> water

35 minutes ago, chemie said:

I don't think so.  Only wild vs tame.

I have not tested however I run my game hatches this way

Did a quick test with 4 tamed pufts per cycle

happiness 100% in a stable 65kg slime

happiness 100% normal room 65kg slime

happiness 100% overcrowded stable 65kg slime

happiness 100% overcrowded room 65kg slime

happiness 0% in a stable 60kg slime

happiness 0% normal room 60kg slime

happiness 0% overcrowded stable 60kg slime

happiness 0% overcrowded room 60kg slime

seems only the happiness effected the slime production and only by 5kg per cycle

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

seems only the happiness effected the slime production and only by 5kg per cycle

Cool.  How about hatches?

It's a late game solution to the water problem, but if you find a volcano and an oil reservoir, you can use water to get crude oil, which you boil to natural gas.  You then cool down the gas and feed it to a natural gas generator.  You get a ton more water than you spend.  Plus power.  You can also feed the CO2 to slicksters, which you can then use to produce more crude oil for free and get eggs.  

Before you have this set up, you should probably make sure the geysers don't overpressurize. You can do that by digging them a large reservoir in the short term.  Wheezeworts are good for dealing with the heat to a certain extent, but make sure your wheezeworts are not directly in the steam, as they will only cool to within 5 C of the vaporization point of the gas they are cooling.  Instead, put them in an adjacent chamber filled with hydrogen for the best results.  

Also, feel free to use the water sieve to clean the polluted water in the slime biome. 

You should be able to support your 10 dupes with enough food from a few hatches/pufts/shinebugs powered omelettes.

That should save you the hassle of growing bristle berries (as nice as they might look).

You can also create a few meallice plants to provide a few extra calories and mushrooms ofc.

In any case, you should try to cut off the irrigation until you have plenty of water.

You should also note that bristle berries dont necessarily need water to grow (dispite their animation). They need water to grow within 6 cycles (3 inside of a greenhouse). Without water they need a bit longer (be it 12, 18 or 24 cycles), but since they dont need any other resources (except for time and fertilizer), you should be able to grow bristle berries without water by just doubling/trippling/quadrupling their amount.

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

What would be the output of 4 wild ones?

20 minutes ago, blash365 said:

You should be able to support your 10 dupes with enough food from a few hatches/pufts/shinebugs powered omelettes.

That should save you the hassle of growing bristle berries (as nice as they might look).

You can also create a few meallice plants to provide a few extra calories and mushrooms ofc.

In any case, you should try to cut off the irrigation until you have plenty of water.

You should also note that bristle berries dont necessarily need water to grow (dispite their animation). They need water to grow within 6 cycles (3 inside of a greenhouse). Without water they need a bit longer (be it 12, 18 or 24 cycles), but since they dont need any other resources (except for time and fertilizer), you should be able to grow bristle berries without water by just doubling/trippling/quadrupling their amount.

Really?  I've never seen any stifled plant grow.  Reeds, berries, or even mealwood.  Have I just been too impatient?

48 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Really?  I've never seen any stifled plant grow.  Reeds, berries, or even mealwood.  Have I just been too impatient?

The description says, they grow without irrigation. But i think most of the tooltips/animations are just misleading.

it might also be that full-grown plants can not be harvested correctly without the proper animation, but i am very positive that plants grow when only the top part of their needs are met.

Maybe one of our youtubers wants to make an experiment out of it. Power-beard, i summon you!

21 minutes ago, blash365 said:

The description says, they grow without irrigation. But i think most of the tooltips/animations are just misleading.

The description might be a leftover from the first agriculture update where providing irrigation/fertilizer meant better yield/more seeds

Wild plants grow when their top needs are met, to get "domestic" plants (anything you plant) to grow requires its bottom needs be met as well as its top needs.

In exchange you get faster growth speed/more frequent harvests.

I had a hard time believing this so I tested it out.  In cycle 1 I planted 5 bristles in farm tiles.  Only gave them light from a shine bug.

according to the stats it says "growth halted"

after 10 cycles nothing changes so I finally allowed the dupes to water them and they showed 0% growth which means in 10 cycles they grew 0% without water 

0001.thumb.jpg.46de733ba201197396a80322bef16c77.jpg0002.thumb.jpg.578e03bc145b4b2fb767e43a3b7dd3f4.jpg

image.png

image.png

35 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

after 10 cycles nothing changes so I finally allowed the dupes to water them and they showed 0% growth which means in 10 cycles they grew 0% without water

Please repeat the test inside a greenhouse with fertilizer buff on the plants.

And please fix your quote. It shows the wrong person.

4 minutes ago, blash365 said:

And please fix your quote. It shows the wrong person.

I'll do that and I couldn't fix the quote, so I deleted it

3 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Heh, if that's what does it, I'd expect you could get any plant to grow without meeting it's needs. It sounds like the fertilizer buff is adding a fixed growth rate increase rather than a percentage one.

Archived