Honestly, you just don’t care about slimelung?

Executive Summary

I spent tremendous energy to keep my base clean and do not let a single germ touch my plants. In a recent video I saw someone having his dubes diggin’ through slime without any protection and I wonder how that works.

Long version:

In a video of @Lifegrow, a possibly known fellow that sometimes roams this forum, I saw his dupes digging through slime without any protection or washing basins. For sure the slime will be stored in Chlorine but all the dupes, the ladders, the food, the plants, all they touch … all will be covered with germs .. uugghs.

On solid things, the germs will die over time,  okay,  but on the plants the germs will stay and spread forever.

QUESTION: So  I wonder how that works. Will the base and all inhabitants be covered in germs until Last Judgement? Or am I missing some game mechanics? 

(If the answer is given in the video - sorry 8.5h are slightly too much)

Digging.thumb.PNG.15d202d04399ad074b35ce39a882173c.PNG

My approach usually consists of very controlled micro digging during early stages of the game and later on a mayor-outbreak-like-overkill-decontamination-zone to ensure that none of my 20 dupes will bring not even a single germ near my base.

HadesGate.thumb.png.53afa3baaa0ddc57261ba73e64c7064d.png

2 minutes ago, habuky said:

Executive Summary

I spent tremendous energy to keep my base clean and do not let a single germ touch my plants. In a recent video I saw someone having his dubes diggin’ through slime without any protection and I wonder how that works.

Long version:

In a video of @Lifegrow, a possibly known fellow that sometimes roams this forum, I saw his dupes digging through slime without any protection or washing basins. For sure the slime will be stored in Chlorine but all the dupes, the ladders, the food, the plants, all they touch … all will be covered with germs .. uugghs.

On solid things, the germs will die over time,  okay,  but on the plants the germs will stay and spread forever.

QUESTION: So  I wonder how that works. Will the base and all inhabitants be covered in germs until Last Judgement? Or am I missing some game mechanics? 

(If the answer is given in the video - sorry 8.5h are slightly too much)

My approach usually consists of very controlled micro digging during early stages of the game and later on a mayor-outbreak-like-overkill-decontamination-zone to ensure that none of my 20 dupes will bring not even a single germ near my base.

My approach is simple - chlorine compactor areas to kill off swept germ-ridden debris. Dig in small bursts to clear an area out, and keep the area well oxygenated.

Slimelung dies off very quickly in oxygen rich areas - so keep your pressure up and you'll be fine :) 

I have never used an ore scrubber (I built one once, I think....) but they're largely useless right now. You can preemptively cool your soon-to-be dug out areas with a small amount of ice, cold water or even wheezeworts - however this is often unnecessary. 

Hope this helps - and you're quite right, 8.5 hours is way too long ;) 

But when your dupes touch your food items / plants, the germs will stay,right? Or are they also dying on Genetic Ooze (plants) when surrounded by oxygen? 

Edit: Ah wait, my fault. Only food poisoning germs stay until eternity on Genetic Ooze. good to know ;) that makes slimelung way more easy to handle! Thx!

Yeah slimelung is generally only as threat in the air, on plants it would be pretty difficult to eat enough for it to matter, but even then the germs were nerfed so hard that as long as you store the slime underwater or in a pressurised room it wont off gas which means the germs wont be able to spread, any that spread during its small burst will die in oxygen rich areas really quickly.

It used to be more difficult to deal with though.

3 hours ago, habuky said:

Infected slime after mining makes slimelung infected PO2 so don't bring that into your base.
Also food poisoned polluted water can create slimelung infected PO2 (only bigger amount of infected PW does it).

Surface germs currently seems to do nothing bad and die over time. Germs inside duplicants could be a problem if they get too much, like 500k+ slimelung.

2 hours ago, BlueLance said:

... any that spread during its small burst will die in oxygen rich areas really quickly.

Unfortunately it will not die and will live on PO2 forever.
High pressured oxygen may compress PO2 into smaller number of packets so it might look better but they will have bigger density and stabilize slimelung at 10x PO2 weight in grams.

Until now I found only 4 ways how to destroy slimelung on PO2 and still looking for something easier for infected large PO2 amounts:

1. cold (bellow 10C and it dies in less then 1 cycle)
2. duplicant immunity - let them breath it
3. somehow destroy that PO2 by doors or building tiles over it...
4. Pufts above clean water

On 11/28/2017 at 10:50 AM, bzgzd said:

Unfortunately it will not die and will live on PO2 forever.

High pressured oxygen may compress PO2 into smaller number of packets so it might look better but they will have bigger density and stabilize slimelung at 10x PO2 weight in grams.

Until now I found only 4 ways how to destroy slimelung on PO2 and still looking for something easier for infected large PO2 amounts:

1. cold (bellow 10C and it dies in less then 1 cycle)
2. duplicant immunity - let them breath it
3. somehow destroy that PO2 by doors or building tiles over it...
4. Pufts above clean water

But polluted oxygen is really easy to get rid of... just slap down some air purifiers (forget if that’s exactly what they’re called... in the oxygen tab) and before you know it your po2 turns into nice clean o2, and the germs die off. you don’t even need to power them.

also I think you are a little too worried about germs, it’s okay if some germs get into your base. As long as you are keeping things generally clean (washing hands, polluted water contained, no po2) they will die off soon enough. dupe immunity in the meantime is pretty robust in my experience. The only times I’ve had problems with germs is when I got a bunch of food poisoning in my water supply by accident (solved with tepidizer), and when I sent a whole group of dupes for a long project in the slime biome. Nobody even got sick the second time, their immunity just went down a bit, then bounced right back up when I was done. You can basically wander the slime biome as much as you want as long as you keep po2 out of the living spaces (again this is very easy to do!)

1 hour ago, egehman said:

But polluted oxygen is really easy to get rid of... just slap down some air purifiers (forget if that’s exactly what they’re called... in the oxygen tab) and before you know it your po2 turns into nice clean o2, and the germs die off. you don’t even need to power them.

Yes, deodorizer is another option to destroy slimelung from PO2. I forgot that there is now machine to make sand so deodorizers could be probably used to clean all infected PO2 on asteroid.

Even on highest difficulty setting you can ignore food poisoning and slime lung if you do a few simple things.

For slime lung, just stay away from large polluted O2 pockets.  Digging through slime is fine as long as you have somewhere to store it.  I like to store in compactors under PW in cold biome.  Stops offgasing and kills slimelung quickly.  Also, medicine is good to buff their immunity.

In my last few bases I always just rushed exosuits and kept a very small O2 area. My duplicants only leave their suits to sleep, eat, shower etc. The suits also protect them from all kinds of debuffs and hazards, so you won't ever worry about slime. Also a huge bonus is that they don't get the wet debuff so you can just seperate gases with liquid locks.

I never had a dupe die from it. Looking at your picture you seem to be super scared of it even after 150 cycles. Don't panic. Germs don't spread between most materials and states of matter. Especially slimelung dies on almost everything. The only thing you actually have to worry about is your dupes breathing in slimelung. So again, use atmosuits, liquid locks and/or deodorizers to seperate digging sites from living areas.

12 hours ago, bzgzd said:

Yes, deodorizer is another option to destroy slimelung from PO2. I forgot that there is now machine to make sand so deodorizers could be probably used to clean all infected PO2 on asteroid.

You could do that even without making any sand. There is so much of it available that you could probably filter all the offgassing pO2 from all the polluted water generated on mapgen for hundreds of cycles. There's enough of it for anything less extreme than trying to satisfy water needs of a big colony by distilling petroleum generator outputs.

On 3.12.2017 at 1:36 AM, clickrush said:

Looking at your picture you seem to be super scared of it even after 150 cycles.

That's for sure! :D After they made it easier I never had an outbreak again and thus never realized it to be easier. Thanks to the thread this changed :D

On 3.12.2017 at 1:36 AM, clickrush said:

In my last few bases I always just rushed exosuits and kept a very small O2 area. My duplicants only leave their suits to sleep, eat, shower etc.

I somehow decided to run my bases with always 20 dupes. Maybe because I am not patient and want to get things done quickly. However the maths for coper for 20 exosuits  + infrastructure is defeating :/

11 hours ago, habuky said:

That's for sure! :D After they made it easier I never had an outbreak again and thus never realized it to be easier. Thanks to the thread this changed :D

I somehow decided to run my bases with always 20 dupes. Maybe because I am not patient and want to get things done quickly. However the maths for coper for 20 exosuits  + infrastructure is defeating :/

So dont use copper for infrastructure, use iron

22 hours ago, Hechicera said:

That is what I did, lamps too were a great way to reclaim. The most difficult thing was having to do two clicks to get into details to see the material used. I have hand problems.

I dont and still hate it too but have not bothered getting the mod that displays materials.

On 12/2/2017 at 2:25 AM, egehman said:

...The only times I’ve had problems with germs is when I got a bunch of food poisoning in my water supply by accident...

I tell you hwat, first 10 cycles I start having major issues with food poisoning as of this last update. It didn't make sense to me because I had placed multiple wash basins in the restroom.

Unfortunately, now I rush to make wash basins before the toilets, the reason being is that, the dupe will use the toilet, go to get the water to fill the basin... if you realize suddenly your food supply is getting contaminated and dupes are running around with food poisoning despite having washed... check the specifics on your wash basins, you may find a dupe had food poisoning on their hands, then proceeded to get the water to fill the basins, unfortunately, this contaminates the clean water being transported by hand to the basin!!

I don't know why this isn't an issue currently with sinks and showers not being effected by contamination, probably not being implemented yet or something, but this has to be what has been happening with my wash basins. The only explanation I could find was the water was being contaminated by a dupe carrying it to the wash basin. Truly a nightmare for your crops as well, since it doesn't die off on the vine, I have to replant! It's like the plague!

Now I'm checking the descriptors on water content, religiously checking the germ overlay and I'm putting wash basins where they eat and the entrances to all crop rooms, I can't stand the wasted space... but I can't stand a dupe contaminating crops forever with food poisoning and starting the feedback loop all over again.

I'm almost certain it's typhoid Mary's running around delivering the water to the wash basins and thereby contaminating the water that was delivered, I wish it was easier to check the water germ content in the basin, Also, it's misleading because the wash basins look completely fine on the germ overlay, but something insidious is going on in the water tank. Obviously the water *source* from whence the water was pumped was entirely clean, so it's even more of a head scratcher.

Watch out for typhoid Marys! You end up with latter, crops and food in storage, good large portion very early on contaminated with food poisoning and a big head scratcher because your dupes wash their hands. Typhoid Mary patrol since this update dropped, is it just me?

20 hours ago, eggsvbacon said:

I tell you hwat, first 10 cycles I start having major issues with food poisoning as of this last update. It didn't make sense to me because I had placed multiple wash basins in the restroom.

Unfortunately, now I rush to make wash basins before the toilets, the reason being is that, the dupe will use the toilet, go to get the water to fill the basin... if you realize suddenly your food supply is getting contaminated and dupes are running around with food poisoning despite having washed... check the specifics on your wash basins, you may find a dupe had food poisoning on their hands, then proceeded to get the water to fill the basins, unfortunately, this contaminates the clean water being transported by hand to the basin!!

I don't know why this isn't an issue currently with sinks and showers not being effected by contamination, probably not being implemented yet or something, but this has to be what has been happening with my wash basins. The only explanation I could find was the water was being contaminated by a dupe carrying it to the wash basin. Truly a nightmare for your crops as well, since it doesn't die off on the vine, I have to replant! It's like the plague!

Now I'm checking the descriptors on water content, religiously checking the germ overlay and I'm putting wash basins where they eat and the entrances to all crop rooms, I can't stand the wasted space... but I can't stand a dupe contaminating crops forever with food poisoning and starting the feedback loop all over again.

I'm almost certain it's typhoid Mary's running around delivering the water to the wash basins and thereby contaminating the water that was delivered, I wish it was easier to check the water germ content in the basin, Also, it's misleading because the wash basins look completely fine on the germ overlay, but something insidious is going on in the water tank. Obviously the water *source* from whence the water was pumped was entirely clean, so it's even more of a head scratcher.

Watch out for typhoid Marys! You end up with latter, crops and food in storage, good large portion very early on contaminated with food poisoning and a big head scratcher because your dupes wash their hands. Typhoid Mary patrol since this update dropped, is it just me?

I find there are three mistakes that often lead to Food Poisoning getting out of a pre-plumbing bathroom.

First, floor isn't swept for resources before the Outhouse and Basin are put in. Most common cause of spreading for me is that someone comes in for reasons not related to hygiene when another person is using the bathroom and stops to wash their hands just as the other gets out. There should only be one reason for your dupes to ever go into the bathroom, and that's to do their business.

Second, Putting the Basin right next to the outhouse. Dupes can sweep from two tiles away, so if the dupe stuck with cleaning the Outhouse wasn't strong enough to take all the P.dirt on the first run, they or another dupe might sweep of the rest of the Food Poisoning-covered waste without ever crossing the center of the Wash basin. (might be only a problem on bathrooms where the basin is on the left of the outhouse, as it's usually the left side of the Outhouse extra P.dirt is dropped)

Finally, Not putting a second water basin wherever you dump your P. water from the first Basin. The dupe picking up the P. Water from a full basin never gets close enough to clean themselves after picking up the germy P. water, so you have to get them at the spigot they use to dump the water. I personally also put the Compost Bin behind that basin too, just to be extra safe. Since your dupes should only be heading there when there is P. Water and/or Dirt to dump, it should last long enough to be replaced with a sink before refilling (just remember to turn off the spigot so your dupes don't carry what P. water was in the basin until the sink is up!)

On 11/28/2017 at 10:34 AM, Lifegrow said:

My approach is simple - chlorine compactor areas to kill off swept germ-ridden debris. Dig in small bursts to clear an area out, and keep the area well oxygenated.

Slimelung dies off very quickly in oxygen rich areas - so keep your pressure up and you'll be fine :) 

I have never used an ore scrubber (I built one once, I think....) but they're largely useless right now. You can preemptively cool your soon-to-be dug out areas with a small amount of ice, cold water or even wheezeworts - however this is often unnecessary. 

Hope this helps - and you're quite right, 8.5 hours is way too long ;) 

For this approach, how do we enforce dupes to put all the germy materials into the chrlorine-room compactors rather than other compactors inside the base?  If I set the chlorine-room compactors to be the only ones that have algae and slime, then even my already-clean algae and slime gets moved from my clean base to the chlorine-room compactors (which I don't want). Also, in the slime biome I find that there's often at least 5 different kinds of ore that can have germs, even common stuff like dirt and granite, and I don't want to have to move *all* dirt and granite to the chlorine-room compactors, just the germy ones.

I'm guessing that for this approach to work, you basically must have *all* of your storage compactors only being in a chlorine room, and you can't have compactors anywhere else really. Which is sad. At least with Ore Scrubbers, if you have enough of them you can potentially clean all the ore and bring it all inside your clean base, and your compactors can live anywhere you want.

33 minutes ago, midjones said:

If I set the chlorine-room compactors to be the only ones that have algae and slime, then even my already-clean algae and slime gets moved from my clean base to the chlorine-room compactors (which I don't want)

An approach which could work is to use door permissions on multiple storage rooms. Let's say you have Meep as your outdoor sweeper, who can access storage room B (chlorine room), but not storage room A (your main storage) and Ada as your indoor sweeper who can access both rooms, but not the area, where you dig up the nasty stuff. Now you have a storage compactor for slime in B with priority 5 and one in A with prioriy 6.

When you dig up slime, Meep will fill the storage in B, where chlorine will kill the germs. Afterwards Ada will transport the contents from B to your main storage A.

Note, that if Ada is too fast, this can lead to contaminating your main storage, because the chlorine didn't kill all the germs. If that's the case, it's easy to build a system, that locks storage room B for one cycle (for Ada's access) whenever it get's filled to ensure all germs are killed off.

41 minutes ago, Rocoto said:

An approach which could work is to use door permissions on multiple storage rooms. Let's say you have Meep as your outdoor sweeper, who can access storage room B (chlorine room), but not storage room A (your main storage) and Ada as your indoor sweeper who can access both rooms, but not the area, where you dig up the nasty stuff. Now you have a storage compactor for slime in B with priority 5 and one in A with prioriy 6.

When you dig up slime, Meep will fill the storage in B, where chlorine will kill the germs. Afterwards Ada will transport the contents from B to your main storage A.

Note, that if Ada is too fast, this can lead to contaminating your main storage, because the chlorine didn't kill all the germs. If that's the case, it's easy to build a system, that locks storage room B for one cycle (for Ada's access) whenever it get's filled to ensure all germs are killed off.

Wow, that's a great idea, thanks.  Is there a reason this couldn't be achieved with ore scrubbers instead of a chlorine room though? If you have enough ore scurbbers, lets say 10 of them in a row, I think that would guarantee that everything coming into the base would be clean of germs, right?

10 hours ago, midjones said:

Wow, that's a great idea, thanks.  Is there a reason this couldn't be achieved with ore scrubbers instead of a chlorine room though? If you have enough ore scurbbers, lets say 10 of them in a row, I think that would guarantee that everything coming into the base would be clean of germs, right?

You would only need 1 ore scrubber per dupe who moves contaminated ore at the same time. Alternatively you can just store all the stuff in a chlorine storage instead of just the contaminated.

Just now, clickrush said:

You would only need 1 ore scrubber per dupe who moves contaminated ore at the same time. Alternatively you can just store all the stuff in a chlorine storage instead of just the contaminated.

Actually I think you need more than 1 per dupe. If I remember correctly, a single ore scrubber will scrub up to 1 million germs, but frequently slime from the slime biome can have over 3 million germs on a single slime, meaning it takes 3 ore scrubbers in a row to clean it.  If I'm right, you might need 3 + N ore scrubbers, where N == the number of potential workers that could bring ore back inside at a time.

When using Ore Scrubbers, they also function in the same manner as the Sink and Wash Basin -- if one is occupied, it will be skipped.  This makes it incredibly problematic for bringing materials contaminated with Slimelung into the base, because you need a minimum of 3 Ore Scrubbers for each given contaminated chunk of Slime.  But if you have more than 1 Dupe returning with contaminated substances at the same time....

Really hoping that at some point, the Ore Scrubber is changed to simply remain in use until all Germs on the object are dead, instead of killing a fixed amount.

Archived