Thinking about getting this. Would you say its too complicated?

Ive been thinking about getting this game for a while, and Ive been watching quite a bit of lets plays to get a hang of it beforehand. But with every update I see lets players do the game looks to get more and more complex as more and more content is added to it. As veteran ONI players would you say this game just takes time to get used to, or is it a bit much to handle at times?

I know some people think Dont Starve is a bit complicated but it doesnt really take me much to make it past 100 days. But then again Ive been playing the game on and off for 3 years now. So is it something like that where you just have to get the hang of it, or do you feel the game goes off the deep end sometimes.

Game may is pretty complex and you can do a lot of complex things and build big contraption. But it ain't hard to survive. As it is now the game is mostly about ingenuity and building more complex systems to improve the daily life of the dupes. All you really need to do to survive is tapping into a steam geyser and from that point on you can survive for quite some time. Then you can tinker around with some things you want to build. Just need to keep oxygen, heat and food under control at least and all spare time can be used to well create more complex systems that improve the colony as a whole.

On a side note the more dupes you got any given time the faster things turn for the worst when you mismanage resources. Since well more dupes means more resource usage. 

good luck if you decide to buy it.

1 hour ago, Moonshade said:

Game may is pretty complex and you can do a lot of complex things and build big contraption. But it ain't hard to survive. As it is now the game is mostly about ingenuity and building more complex systems to improve the daily life of the dupes. All you really need to do to survive is tapping into a steam geyser and from that point on you can survive for quite some time. Then you can tinker around with some things you want to build. Just need to keep oxygen, heat and food under control at least and all spare time can be used to well create more complex systems that improve the colony as a whole.

On a side note the more dupes you got any given time the faster things turn for the worst when you mismanage resources. Since well more dupes means more resource usage. 

good luck if you decide to buy it.

Thanks for sharing! I will be purchasing this when my current semester is over. At the moment college is kicking my but since its my final year so I havent had time to get a new game yet but I will be getting this. Thanks for the advice and veteran experience sharing.

1 hour ago, GreatGameDota said:

Game has a steep learning curve but once you get past that the game is a lot of fun! :)

Yeah I was already interested in it since they debuted it at PAX some time back but have been to busy to make the plunge, and all the lets plays look super fun. However it all looks so complex and intricate Im afraid I may not be able to keep up lol but most games like this seem like that at first I guess

2 hours ago, Izzy248 said:

Thanks for sharing! I will be purchasing this when my current semester is over. At the moment college is kicking my but since its my final year so I havent had time to get a new game yet but I will be getting this. Thanks for the advice and veteran experience sharing.

It is currently on sale tho

I've played many games and when I saw this, I knew this was the game. :) Before I knew it I had spent countless hours playing.

Yes, your early days with the game will be very difficult, at least for me, but after spending a month playing(counting hours) I can easily cruise through the game - I played on the hardest difficulty during that month and then switched to normal gameplay. You'll even start making spreadsheets in Excel lol - planning layouts, calculating food, calculating power, optimizing oxygen output etc...

Don't Starve doesn't appeal to me so I haven't played. ONI, on the other hand, is...I love it! :love_heart: So buy it! You won't have any regrets. :lol:

With the Automation Upgrade I've barely touched any of it. Made a weight sensor for the mess hall just so I can say I've done something with Automation.

Don't Starve was actually harder for me to pick up than ONI just because of the lack of in-game information (everything had to be researched on the internet). ONI is not particularly difficult to start playing, but you will spend a lot of time gaining experience, making mistakes, and finding better designs for systems. It has quite a bit of depth in that way, even at this early stage of development.

Keep in mind as well that this game is still in beta! Towards final release there will be a lot of optimization and potentially some basic tutorials and guides produced which will make the base game a little simpler in terms of understanding and guiding you through some of the less intuitive systems that you've seen being added lately.

18 hours ago, MidnightSteam said:

I've played many games and when I saw this, I knew this was the game. :) Before I knew it I had spent countless hours playing.

Yes, your early days with the game will be very difficult, at least for me, but after spending a month playing(counting hours) I can easily cruise through the game - I played on the hardest difficulty during that month and then switched to normal gameplay. You'll even start making spreadsheets in Excel lol - planning layouts, calculating food, calculating power, optimizing oxygen output etc...

Don't Starve doesn't appeal to me so I haven't played. ONI, on the other hand, is...I love it! :love_heart: So buy it! You won't have any regrets. :lol:

With the Automation Upgrade I've barely touched any of it. Made a weight sensor for the mess hall just so I can say I've done something with Automation.

Thats how I felt when I first saw it debuted at PAX lol. And yeah Ive been taking notes based on all the videos Ive seen on how I would make my base, I know itll be MUCH different when I get my own hands on it but man it looks good.

13 hours ago, StroamCR said:

Don't Starve was actually harder for me to pick up than ONI just because of the lack of in-game information (everything had to be researched on the internet). ONI is not particularly difficult to start playing, but you will spend a lot of time gaining experience, making mistakes, and finding better designs for systems. It has quite a bit of depth in that way, even at this early stage of development.

Really? Lol thats interesting. The game can be kind of a hardship Ill admit but yeah I understand. Some of my friends still cant make it past day 10 while I can cruise into the triple digits. I can tell ONI will definitely be a learning experience but it looks worthwhile. I was just concerned that I may not be able to pay attention to all the data of the huds on the screen lol

13 hours ago, suicide commando said:

I definitely recomend picking it up. The basics of the game aren't too hard to figure out, and while playing you'll garner the experience to start thinking about complex things, and advanced structures to build such as hydrogen cooled liquid oxygen generation etc.

Yeah, I think it was actually because of all the data shown by the huds on the screens of the lets players I was watching that was intimidating me and making me think it was harder than it actually was. But the key difference is that since they are playing it hands on they understand it alot quicker and more than I would simply by watching lol.

13 hours ago, RemyG said:

Keep in mind as well that this game is still in beta! Towards final release there will be a lot of optimization and potentially some basic tutorials and guides produced which will make the base game a little simpler in terms of understanding and guiding you through some of the less intuitive systems that you've seen being added lately.

Yeah I understand. And Im used to Klei's constant updating of their game. I was going to wait until this was officially released, but I dont think I can wait anymore and may just have to buckle after my semester is over lol.

I actually just got this game myself, and while I've only logged a few hours so far, it seems to be pretty good at easing you into it's complexity. While there will eventually come a need for extensive ventilation systems, waste management, and how to reuse, clean and/or recycle everything from the CO2 your dupes exhale to the heat from the electric generators that keeps run the machinery that keeps your water clean and germ-free, that's something you build towards as you clear out space and resources, not something you have to plan from the start.

Granted, I'm coming at this having played Dwarf Fortress, so any management sim in the same vein is going to feel like it's easing you into it...

I got hooked on this game fairly early on. After seeing the preview, I knew I wanted to play it. I had played Don't Starve so I liked the developer's style. The game is fairly simple to survive in. Even if you don't read any wikis or watch videos after a base or two you'll get the hang of the basics. Then there are many ways you can make the game more complicated than it needs to be for fun. I'm 684 hours in so far and not bored yet. I do take breaks between releases though. It's certainly worth full price and it is on sale now at 40% off.

19 hours ago, Foefaller said:

I actually just got this game myself, and while I've only logged a few hours so far, it seems to be pretty good at easing you into it's complexity. While there will eventually come a need for extensive ventilation systems, waste management, and how to reuse, clean and/or recycle everything from the CO2 your dupes exhale to the heat from the electric generators that keeps run the machinery that keeps your water clean and germ-free, that's something you build towards as you clear out space and resources, not something you have to plan from the start.

Granted, I'm coming at this having played Dwarf Fortress, so any management sim in the same vein is going to feel like it's easing you into it...

Yeah good point lol. I think my main worry is Im going to be focusing to much on the management of the areas at the start like how big/small my rooms should be. How much space in between my beds in the bedroom area (in case of farting or snoring dupes). Where to put my water room, etc. Ill have to get past that thought process first.

14 hours ago, GrindThisGame said:

I got hooked on this game fairly early on. After seeing the preview, I knew I wanted to play it. I had played Don't Starve so I liked the developer's style. The game is fairly simple to survive in. Even if you don't read any wikis or watch videos after a base or two you'll get the hang of the basics. Then there are many ways you can make the game more complicated than it needs to be for fun. I'm 684 hours in so far and not bored yet. I do take breaks between releases though. It's certainly worth full price and it is on sale now at 40% off.

PSame here. I watched every Twitch stream Klei did for the game after the debut intently. And Im also a big fan of Klei's. All their games have been big hits for me, with not one me disliking personally. And thats good to know because even after playing Dont Starve for 3 years I still find myself looking at the wikis from time to time lol. Thanks for the wise words.

P.S Where do you see it 40% off? I see it 20% off on Steam but not 40 unless there is another venue Im not aware of.

2 minutes ago, GrindThisGame said:

@Izzy248 Don't take on farting or snoring dupes! Both are a pain in the butt (the former more than the latter). Dupes fart out natural gas now which is a pain to deal with. 

Mouthbreathets and bottomless stomachs are my not takes...they are literally half a dup

23 hours ago, Izzy248 said:

Really? Lol thats interesting. The game can be kind of a hardship Ill admit but yeah I understand. Some of my friends still cant make it past day 10 while I can cruise into the triple digits. I can tell ONI will definitely be a learning experience but it looks worthwhile. I was just concerned that I may not be able to pay attention to all the data of the huds on the screen lol

In your cruising to triple digits did you ever sit there just watching the game for a long period of time? That happens a lot in Oni lol

2 hours ago, GrindThisGame said:

@Izzy248 Don't take on farting or snoring dupes! Both are a pain in the butt (the former more than the latter). Dupes fart out natural gas now which is a pain to deal with. 

Thanks for the advice lol. I kind of figured I wouldnt but I should still plan space for adding decor to rooms. Also I havent seen any videos of players using farting dupes anymore so I didnt know that. I thought they still produced carbon dioxide which is still kind of bad lol.

2 hours ago, chemie said:

Mouthbreathets and bottomless stomachs are my not takes...they are literally half a dup

Yeah, Id imagine especially in the early game this would be quite detrimental as well lol. What with needing to conserve as much clean oxygen and food as possible until more sources are found and better devices to produce these are made.

2 hours ago, GreatGameDota said:

In your cruising to triple digits did you ever sit there just watching the game for a long period of time? That happens a lot in Oni lol

Yeah...at the point of like day 60 you usually have a pretty sustainable base. Gardens constantly produces Dragon Fruits and a bird to keep recycling the seeds. An enclosed space for Beefalo, and now in the case of Shipwrecked Water Beefalo for steady meat. A nearby beehive to keep producing honey and making Honey Hams if you dont want to keep making Jerky or Meaty Stew. Yeah. Your base just runs itself around this point and theirs little reason to venture out unless you want to explore lol. I guess your comparison makes a lot of scene haha. 

45 minutes ago, Izzy248 said:

Yeah...at the point of like day 60 you usually have a pretty sustainable base. Gardens constantly produces Dragon Fruits and a bird to keep recycling the seeds. An enclosed space for Beefalo, and now in the case of Shipwrecked Water Beefalo for steady meat. A nearby beehive to keep producing honey and making Honey Hams if you dont want to keep making Jerky or Meaty Stew. Yeah. Your base just runs itself around this point and theirs little reason to venture out unless you want to explore lol. I guess your comparison makes a lot of scene haha. 

I can literally say that in oni context xD

Yeah...at the point of like cycle 60 you usually have a pretty sustainable base. Planters constantly produce Meal Lice and a storage container to keep the seeds. An enclosed space for Hatches, and now in the case of Automation Hatches for steady coal. A nearby geyser to keep producing water and making oxygen if you dont want to keep making Algae. Yeah. Your base just runs itself around this point and theirs little reason to venture out unless you want to explore lol.

15 hours ago, GreatGameDota said:

I can literally say that in oni context xD

Yeah...at the point of like cycle 60 you usually have a pretty sustainable base. Planters constantly produce Meal Lice and a storage container to keep the seeds. An enclosed space for Hatches, and now in the case of Automation Hatches for steady coal. A nearby geyser to keep producing water and making oxygen if you dont want to keep making Algae. Yeah. Your base just runs itself around this point and theirs little reason to venture out unless you want to explore lol.

I found this more hilarious than I probably should have XD thanks for putting it into such clear context lol.

I've only ever been addicted to 4 other games: Tetris, Sim City, Monster Rancher, and Devil Dice. This one leaves all 4 in the dust! I've logged a truly embarrassing number of hours since the Thermal update. My problem with the current (Automation) update is that a lot of the machines put out so much heat they're pretty much unusable without the new magic cold machine (sorry don't remember what it's called). I would say that each aspect of the game can be learned pretty easily and the challenge is mostly to find the balance between them. I've had hours and hours of fun learning how to make the most of each resource and constantly staving off one disaster or another :) I love that the circuits use Boolean, I hadn't done any scripting in so long it gave me grade school flashbacks!

In my opinion its got layers, like ogres, you have your basic survival sim, then you have your creation layer.  Dig down find oil, cook it to petroleum, keep cooking make it natural gas, cool that down get methane, o.o things get interesting when you start manipulations the chemicals outside the machines :)

just like what @Kabrute just said, ONI is a very wonderful game that has lots of stuff to offer for all sorts of player.

it is simple enough to understand that even my 10 year ol brother can still enjoy it (he even got his colony to 100 cycle, even though everything is messed up :v).

and can still be complex (and crazy) enough for hardcore players to enjoy as well ('enjoy' as in exploit the heck out of every mechanic and creating crazy contraptions and systems just for MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY!!!).

simply said: ONI is easy to learn, but hard to master.

Archived