Useful Automation Gadgets

This is a followup on mf99k's thread listing devices that work (and are quite fun to tinker with), but don't serve much in the way of practical purpose in a normal game.
Here, I wanted to create a thread to share designs for devices that a person playing the game may want to build and explain them in such a way that someone unfamiliar with logic operations and circuits could make use of them. 

So, here's a few of mine. I've attempted to compact them the best I could.

Pulse Clock:

Spoiler

59fccfa57616b_77269557a3218f878afea214c80c91b01.thumb.png.02af187653185e49ed2acad8a76d1256.png

This device will output a short pulse at an interval set by the buffer gate. It can be disabled by activating the switch shown.

Consists of: 1 NOT, 1 BUFFER

Oscillator:

Spoiler

59fcd064038d7_3db67d19ae03212e88fbedc8e270548f1.png.dfb98ce5a57c5adea319d924d6def752.png

Similar to the pulse clock, but you can control (using the top buffer) how long the signal stays on. Like the clock, powering the switch disables the circuit.

Consists of: 1 NOT, 2 BUFFER

Pulse Former:

Spoiler

59fcd411441fc_69bbed3dc3d02e9546c165240b569c291.png.3105acbf8fa5cd7d1ba601eb6ae56bc7.png

Emits a pulse with a length of the time set on the buffer whenever the input changes from off to on. The first NOT can be dropped if you wish the inverse.

Consists of: 3 NOT, 1 OR, 1 BUFFER

Rapid Pulse Former:

Spoiler

59fcd473589b5_c4eb078b86a908862fde17e51f8fe6c41.png.2799505643c82ba7129315da78726dc4.png

Smaller version of the pulse former, but instead outputs a super short (less than 1 second) pulse when the input changes from off to on. A NOT can be added to the input to invert it.

Consists of: 2 NOT, 1 XOR

Here are some that require a bit more explaining. Trust me, they're useful.

RS-NOR Latch:

Spoiler

59fcd57c4110d_0167bba817772b585c986e47698321661.thumb.png.60e70a140601c92cf44a6f401e31bc7b.png

If you're familiar with the RS-NOR latches, right input is S, left is R, output is Q (the other NOT's output is !Q if you can get to it.)
In layman's terms: This device will turn on when the SET signal (the right input) is turned on (while RESET is off) and the output will remain off until RESET (the left input) is turned on, in which case the output is turned off.

For example, you could have a pair of temperature sensors for your cooling system, say, at below 15 and above 20 C. Previously, you would only have one, and this would cause the system to flicker on and off to maintain that temperature. Now, you can tie the 20 to SET and 15 to RESET, so the system comes on above 20 degrees, and runs until everything is below 15 degrees.

Consists of: 2 OR, 2 NOT

D Latch:

Spoiler

59fcd70a61e8b_67ea3e2078a2e1685c13b1219b45f12f1.thumb.png.ed39b14eeff9c68e038195e51a056945.png

This one is difficult to explain if you're unfamiliar with it. If you understand these kinds of latches, the left input is D and the right is E, output is Q.
If you're curious and not savvy with these things, you can read about them on the Starbound Wiki, where it's explained in layman's terms.

Consists of: 2 AND, 2 OR, 3 NOT

Let me know if you come up with more, even systems that don't necessarily use 100% logic gates.

I have challenge I've been unable to solve myself. I don't know if it's even feasible.

Is it possible to make a floor pressure switch in to a toggle? So any movement across it will switch some object from permanently on to permanently off or visa versa until another activation is detected.

41 minutes ago, Moggles said:

I have challenge I've been unable to solve myself. I don't know if it's even feasible.

Is it possible to make a floor pressure switch in to a toggle? So any movement across it will switch some object from permanently on to permanently off or visa versa until another activation is detected.

RS-NOR latch above, or an AND-OR latch

When the top switch is on, every time the pressure plate is triggered the output changes but remains in that position.
Remove the bottom switch between the pressure plate and latch I used for testing. 

2017-11-05.png

4 minutes ago, Moggles said:

@Saturnus Thank you this is just what I was looking for.

My grand idea is to combine door permissions with automation to create one way routes for dupes to move through, making them part of the program.

I'm working on using my randomizer to constantly change which doors are open but moderated so that there's always just one possible route so the dupes needs to run around in a maze that changes every few seconds. :D

okay something I wanted to create but couldn't figure it out is a temperature sensor,

basically there are 2 thermo sensors, if the temperature reaches 70ºC or higher, the machine stops, but it only activates again if the temperature reaches 22ºC.

I've been having trouble building 2 different systems.

My first system should be simple: I would ike to make it so that my algae machine that I put in the bedrooms automatically shuts down when a certain pressure is reached inside of the bedroom so that I save electricity.

The second system I would like to build is so that if the oxygen level on the outside of the bedrooms reaches too low, the bedroom door locks itself to make sure the oxygen machine inside the bedroom doesn't waste energy trying to backfill the outside (an issue I am constantly having to manually deal with due to poor base designs :(.

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Nascarlaser1 said:

My first system should be simple: I would ike to make it so that my algae machine that I put in the bedrooms automatically shuts down when a certain pressure is reached inside of the bedroom so that I save electricity.

The second system I would like to build is so that if the oxygen level on the outside of the bedrooms reaches too low, the bedroom door locks itself to make sure the oxygen machine inside the bedroom doesn't waste energy trying to backfill the outside (an issue I am constantly having to manually deal with due to poor base designs :(.

Thanks!

This kind of set up should be able to handle both scenarios. To automate the algae machine you need to stop its power because it has no automation input of its own.

The atmo switch outside is set to "if below x pressure lock door". The one inside is set to "if below x pressure start power to algae machine".

The door is a mechanical airlock.

image.thumb.png.db091b5446ae8f3b9d83912da252b9e9.pngimage.thumb.png.7ddad28d977e83d5afa5729701289742.png

Managed to create one using a simple And and an Or Gate
Jt4SOrC.png

19 minutes ago, Nascarlaser1 said:

Thanks!

Well the Algae Deoxydizer and Electrolyzer both have max pressure they will stop working, but if you want to add a lower or set pressure, add a Pressure Sensor and link it to the machine. If you want to make it activate only when the pressure lower to a significant amount, you can use the example I made but with Atmo Sensors instead of temperature ones.

My dupes now wait and go to bed together. Not very useful yet but I've been having fun with trying to schedule dupes to certain tasks at certain times of day and using one way systems and checkpoints.

The door leading to the bedroom unlocks at 86% of the cycle. The dupes will hit the checkpoint when they try to enter. The pressure switch is set to above 80kg, total weight of three dupes being 90kg (80 is arbitrary midpoint). A found that a filter gate is needed with a 1 second delay else the last arriving dupe that triggers the pressure switch might not make it through in time 

Movement is always right to left. The inner door stops an idle dupe from getting caught on the checkpoint in the morning. When they need to get out they use the firemans exit.

Spoiler

syncedsleep.thumb.gif.b427f3e0c12fd7fc7e2d9cbcc96e5c8e.gif

Spoiler
On 5/11/2017 at 7:39 AM, Saturnus said:

RS-NOR latch above, or an AND-OR latch

When the top switch is on, every time the pressure plate is triggered the output changes but remains in that position.
Remove the bottom switch between the pressure plate and latch I used for testing. 

2017-11-05.png

This one is the one I liked the most, for its simplicity and utility, so I'd like to simplify it and beautify it a little more:

5a0137fc10f58_Low-highanim.gif.a3949fecdad7e26d99c46f105a600320.gif

• It requires two sensors: Stopper/initial condition and Starter/final condition.
  1. Stopper enables the system when the initial condition is met.
  2. Starter enables the output when the second condition is also met.
  3. After being activated, even though the second condition no longer applies, the system keeps running.
  4. The system Stops when the initial condition also doesn't apply.

Is important to note that both sensors follow the same direction, that is, both are set to above or below (so that you don't need a Not gate)

An example:

You have a couple of algae oxydizers but you don't want to burn algae, let's say you want them to function between 500g/tile and 1500g/tile, so, yo want it to start oxygen is below 500g and stop it when oxygen is no longer below 1500g.

On 5.11.2017 at 2:47 PM, Deustodo said:

okay something I wanted to create but couldn't figure it out is a temperature sensor,

basically there are 2 thermo sensors, if the temperature reaches 70ºC or higher, the machine stops, but it only activates again if the temperature reaches 22ºC.

Hi

You can Use a 1 Bit counter:

Set 1 Temp Sensor at above 70 and one below 22 as Trigger

2bit side-by-side running lights or conveyer, compressor or elevator. It really works for just about anything.

It's a 2bit counter on the top feeding a 2bit bus.

The buffer on the left of the 2bit counter is the clock generator which can be adjusted.

The 2bit bus is then decoded into 4 positions for switch or lights or doors
Bit 0 0 : SW 1 + 2
Bit 0 1 : SW 1 + 4
Bit 1 0 : SW 3 + 4
Bit 1 1 : SW 2 + 3 (shown in pic)

These can then be put on an endless row on the same bus.
The extra NOT gates in the decoder are delays for timing purposes if you're running a door compressor for example.

2017-11-07 (6).png

This is the best I could come up with for a T-flip flop that isn't reliant on having a clock in order to function. The benefit of it not needing a clock is that the input can be any duration of time and it won't break the circuit.image.png

The switch to the upper right is only there if it starts looping (which it shouldn't unless when building it) 

I hope they eventually add a D-Latch gate to the game so that this design could be reduced to 1/4 of its size ;X I much prefer a T-flip flop of this design (no clock) because it's very stable/reliable.

Here's a simple device based on latches from this thread. It allows you to easily manage your miners work time: before the latest update I would wait for them to go outside the base to mine and then lock the door behind them, so they won't waste their time to sweep things, put on or take off their exosuits and so on. Now it's done automatically.

The clock sensor allows me to set a proper time to stay outside the base. Pressure plate is set at above 89 kg (for 3 miners), if this condition is met dupes go to the left and the door gets lock after the set time. When clock sensor turns on, doors open till the night and then it's OK with me if the dupes go back to mining on their own. In the morning the system is reset.

I tried many different settings, but this one seems to be the simpliest one. What's most important in those settings is to keep the door open before the dupes go to work - locked door seem to prevent them from even planning to go out there.

3PVJcE5.png

@mickaux Thank you! I spent a while trying to make an airlock that would lock dupes outside in their exosuits until the evening where they were allowed back in to eat and go to bed. I couldn't get the setup I wanted so I'll try yours. It's incredible the amount you can get done if the dupes are locked out for most of the day.

12 minutes ago, mickaux said:

I tried many different settings, but this one seems to be the simpliest one. What's most important in those settings is to keep the door open before the dupes go to work - locked door seem to prevent them from even planning to go out there.

There is another way to do this that might be easier. Have a one way door leading out and locking the return door when a set number of dupes have passed through the one way door.

34 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

There is another way to do this that might be easier. Have a one way door leading out and locking the return door when a set number of dupes have passed through the one way door.

I just couldn't figure out how to count the dupes... Weight plates seem to be very unrielable in this case - 2 dupes can step on it at the same time for instance. Using adder in this situation seems like an unnecessary extra work, it may be better for bigger bases though.

This one features more shutoff valve usage that automation.

Here's a piping set up that lets you choose the direction of the gas flow. Easy to do with shutoff valves.

But more importantly it uses a second set of shutoff valves in tandem with flow valves to create a very fast shutoff so that gas already in the flow valve is redirected back in to the system.

The aim was to avoid stacking the 100g packets from the valve in the empty pipes and redirect it instantly back in to the system.

Spoiler

nogascompressionpiping.thumb.gif.92410852b9a6ac643730d8c3991dd373.gif

image.thumb.png.e13562d7a049453af5eaac62356204a5.png

image.thumb.png.579975cc3c0ba8d5a1572ada90ee9e1a.png

1 hour ago, Moggles said:

This one features more shutoff valve usage that automation.

Here's a piping set up that lets you choose the direction of the gas flow. Easy to do with shutoff valves.

But more importantly it uses a second set of shutoff valves in tandem with flow valves to create a very fast shutoff so that gas already in the flow valve is redirected back in to the system.

The aim was to avoid stacking the 100g packets from the valve in the empty pipes and redirect it instantly back in to the system.

Hide contents

nogascompressionpiping.thumb.gif.92410852b9a6ac643730d8c3991dd373.gif

image.thumb.png.e13562d7a049453af5eaac62356204a5.png

image.thumb.png.579975cc3c0ba8d5a1572ada90ee9e1a.png

This is lovely, great work :)

Guys i am a simple man i just want to pump my natural gas when my batteries low like %20 or %10. I did the clock thing it shut itself when the time reach %40 or %50 it actually works for me but sometime dont.

I also make weight plate that tirggers the natural gas pump when dupe try to fill low batteries with manural generator but still not effective.
Any one have something like smart batteries ?

Archived