Totally Useful Automation Gadgets

figured I'd make a thread for people to share ideas for how to use automation devices and logical operators, experiments, utilities, etc.

annoyance_generator.png.0870d533710aa0cd3d17f2b555945965.png

this is my wonderful little device I call an annoyance generator

it turns itself on if it's off, and off if it's on

repeatedly

and beeps each time it switches

it's very useful and totally worth building yes

also, tip on using timer switches, the first bar says what time of day to turn it on, and second bar says what time of day to turn it off.

I made a 1 bit randomizer. The basic building block of a random number generator.

From previous tests we know that PO2 and O2 behave exactly the same, and have no horizontal position preference over each other regardless if mass is completely different. They will change position at random. So I basically just made a randomizer with an atmo-sensor in a two tile room with one tile of 1000g O2 and one tile with 100g PO2. The atmo-sensor is set to turn on if above 500g tile pressure but it could just as well be the opposite.

At the moment it just turns the light on and off. At a later point I'll make it the trigger for a running light. Or maybe I'll randomize which door back to base is open just to mess with the dupes' heads.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, you don't need separate rooms as the gases do not mix vertically at all. So I also made a 4 bit one just to illustrate.

2017-11-03 (1).png

2017-11-03 (2).png

11 minutes ago, CynicalBusiness said:

2-bit binary full adder, fully chain-able to add more bits. Currently adding 10 (2) to 11 (3), producing 101 (5).

The OR gate is actually optional if you wanted to make it smaller.
Made one myself and found myself wanting the wire bridges to be on another layer. :| They take up too much space.

Just now, Risu said:

The OR gate is actually optional if you wanted to make it smaller.

An OR gate is basically a diode in this case. I just didn't want the carry signal feeding back.

In this case, however, I think you're right about not needing it, and I agree about the bridges needing to be on another layer.

Just now, watermelen671 said:

Mind showing me the automation overlay so that I may attempt to recreate it?

Not much to it. The plate is just holding the doors high so they remain open and the not gate is flipping the signal low to hold the shutoff valve and pump off, though thinking on it the shutoff isn't even needed.

Just now, Risu said:

Not much to it. The plate is just holding the doors high so they remain open and the not gate is flipping the signal low to hold the shutoff valve and pump off, though thinking on it the shutoff isn't even needed.

I'm dumb.

I need to know what goes where and what connects to what in order for me to understand. :wilson_ecstatic:

3 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

I'm dumb.

I need to know what goes where and what connects to what in order for me to understand. :wilson_ecstatic:

There's two ways to connect it. Try both. I promise doing it wrong will not electrocute you though the mouse cable.

6 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

So with this sort of thing, it's now totally possible to make a gas chamber, right?

I love how nearly every ONI thread goes into some tangent about how to abuse dupes at least once XD

@Risu wouldn't you not necessarily need the NOT (that sentence is terrible) for the pressure plate since saying "not above" is the same thing as saying "below" since you can tell it to send a signal when you want it to be active instead of not when you don't want it to be active?

idk if any of what I just said made any sense srry

45 minutes ago, mf99k said:

wouldn't you not necessarily need the NOT (that sentence is terrible) for the pressure plate since saying "not above" is the same thing as saying "below" since you can tell it to send a signal when you want it to be active instead of not when you don't want it to be active?

The door and pump have different roles to play using the same signal. To get them to go together requires opposite signal.

I wonder if SR latches made of 2 OR gates and 2 NOT gates are possible. If so, it can be used to store data and we would get sequential logic circuits as well as combinational logic circuits.

Sadly, there is something wrong with my computer and the game cannot start. Would anyone mind testing the idea of building latches? Further information about latches in the real world is described in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_(electronics)

49 minutes ago, Nalin said:

I wonder if SR latches made of 2 OR gates and 2 NOT gates are possible. If so, it can be used to store data and we would get sequential logic circuits as well as combinational logic circuits.

Sadly, there is something wrong with my computer and the game cannot start. Would anyone mind testing the idea of building latches? Further information about latches in the real world is described in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_(electronics)

You can make an SR latch with an AND, a OR, and a NOT gate. Also called an AND-OR latch. However, there's other threads here that goes deeper into this.

and

On 11/3/2017 at 2:17 AM, mf99k said:

it's very useful and totally worth building yes

turns out the annoyance generator is actually really good for making alarms so I set up a little thing that alerts me if the water reservoir is about to overflow

burt_i_said_no.thumb.png.8858dd8a87b17e22bce89834c6ee714c.png

I also tried to make it so that dupes are only allowed to use the shower at certain times of day but OOH SOMEONE REALLY JUST NEEDS TO SHOWER IMMEDIATELY APPARENTLY

Burt I said no

3 hours ago, mf99k said:

turns out the annoyance generator is actually really good for making alarms so I set up a little thing that alerts me if the water reservoir is about to overflow

burt_i_said_no.thumb.png.8858dd8a87b17e22bce89834c6ee714c.png

I also tried to make it so that dupes are only allowed to use the shower at certain times of day but OOH SOMEONE REALLY JUST NEEDS TO SHOWER IMMEDIATELY APPARENTLY

Burt I said no

That's a really interesting design problem right here for the devs - make it so dupes go on with their day if a path is blocked (but when it finally turns on they have to run for a longer distance and possibly miss the window) or make them wait like here?

13 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

That's a really interesting design problem right here for the devs - make it so dupes go on with their day if a path is blocked (but when it finally turns on they have to run for a longer distance and possibly miss the window) or make them wait like here?

I don't think it's a design problem for the devs as much as it is for us.

Just *unlock* the shower room at a certain time of day, and make sure there are no dupes present when it locks again.

Archived