Automation Upgrade Preview Available!

22 minutes ago, chemie said:

so instead of just running power to that far out area, you now need to run power and control wire?  Not sure I see the benefit. (I just ran the power through the switch at the base for geyser pumps anyway)

What I meant was, you can have a sensor at location A, and an output of some kind around there, and a pump at location B, which works off that sensor. yes, you can do that with a thermo switch on the power wire, but what if that wire is also required to run other things, which do need to run all the time?

6 minutes ago, Byste said:

I also have no idea why people think transformers are limited to 1 KJ. Where could this idea possibly be coming from? Golly!

That's the internal capacity measured in Joules in the transformer... it has absolutely nothing to do with how much power you can draw from the output. I already demonstrated above you can draw 3120W with no problem. I can just as easily hook up a system that pulls 18000W through one transformer if you like.

17 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

That's the internal capacity measured in Joules in the transformer... it has absolutely nothing to do with how much power you can draw from the output. I already demonstrated above you can draw 3120W with no problem. I can just as easily hook up a system that pulls 18000W through one transformer if you like.

I'm not disputing whether it's possible. I'm disputing why you think it's so obvious, because ALL the signs indicate that it is NOT possible until you just do it anyway. You say that's the internal capacity, but it's not clear at all; there is no language distinguishing internal capacity from output, or the relationship between the two, or what the significance of an internal capacity is... All we get is the 1000J and the explanation that they protect circuits from overloading. You say you don't get why people think they're limited. I'm trying to show why we think that. If you still don't get it, I don't think there's any hope.

40 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

This doesn't appear to be true.  I had been led to believe that the simulation ticks occur 4 times per second, which is why the transformers were able to transfer 4kW per second. (4 times per second * 1000 Joules = 4kW, obviously) I assumed it was a bug that the transformers reset their capacity with each tick and not once per second, but they worked so much better than they did a few months ago it didn't seem worthwhile mentioning, really, as it could plausibly have been a design choice for some extra capacity as well. I just put a transformer on the heaviwire between my NGG complex and the rest of my base (beforeinserting the transformer I had 10 NGG's running full blast, keeping the battery bank pegged at 40kJ each); sure enough, once I put in the transformer the power draw was shown as 4 kW when I looked at the part of my circuit with the generators, and the battery bank on the other side of the transformer was draining quickly, confirming that the transformer was only transferring 4kW of power.  I would expect if you tried to hook up your 18 kW system you'd hit this barrier as well.  I may have made an error somewhere, but setting up a transformer into a circuit is pretty simple, so it seems likely I did not.

1 hour ago, turbonl64 said:

So let me get this straight: you actually can pull 2kw from 1 single transformator?

Yeah, the transformer doesnt state on it that it can only handle 1kw. What this means is you can have 2kw wires running around powering more devices using less transformers. I love that

6 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Yeah, the transformer doesnt state on it that it can only handle 1kw. What this means is you can have 2kw wires running around powering more devices using less transformers. I love that

Me too. The confusion comes from that it only stores 1kJ. Most people, including me, assumed that meant it put out 1kJ/s, which is 1kW. I did not know about the refreshment rate of 4 ticks a second. 2kW wires will simplify my power net.

I think that should be a bug report. The information isn't complete on it.

10 hours ago, suicide commando said:

What I meant was, you can have a sensor at location A, and an output of some kind around there, and a pump at location B, which works off that sensor. yes, you can do that with a thermo switch on the power wire, but what if that wire is also required to run other things, which do need to run all the time?

Sure. I see that scenario but there is also the scenario where you know need to run two wires.  I am more concerned that early game, when you want a simple switch on a pump, you can't because of the advanced research and materials now required.

5 minutes ago, chemie said:

Sure. I see that scenario but there is also the scenario where you know need to run two wires.  I am more concerned that early game, when you want a simple switch on a pump, you can't because of the advanced research and materials now required.

I'm pretty sure you can also use switches on the wire still, otherwise, you have no means of controlling things until you are late in the research.

Bugs made it pretty much unplayable for me.  Some of the dupes wouldn't go to the toilet, sleep, or recover breath even when near death.  I had to micromanage their tasks to get them to attend to their needs, and occasionally that didn't work and they'd just stand there idle at 0 stamina.

7 minutes ago, renton555 said:

Bugs made it pretty much unplayable for me.  Some of the dupes wouldn't go to the toilet, sleep, or recover breath even when near death.  I had to micromanage their tasks to get them to attend to their needs, and occasionally that didn't work and they'd just stand there idle at 0 stamina.

At least you get past cycle 6..... I have had 6 different starts, over 20 saves and I cannot get past cycle 6 on my latest

24 minutes ago, renton555 said:

There are issues with the priority system in general. The ones you mentioned, and buildings loose their prior priority as well. Don't worry, it has been reported and this will most likely be at the top of the list.

If what I'm understanding about transformers in this discussion is correct... a transformer will output only *exactly as much as the system it's attached to needs*, be it 1kw or 2kw, and will not burn those wires unless the pull is too great from the non-heavy end. It just depends on what you've got wired up. Is that correct?

19 minutes ago, LeadfootSlim said:

If what I'm understanding about transformers in this discussion is correct... a transformer will output only *exactly as much as the system it's attached to needs*, be it 1kw or 2kw, and will not burn those wires unless the pull is too great from the non-heavy end. It just depends on what you've got wired up. Is that correct?

That's how Ohms Law works, yes. The load dictates the power output.

18 hours ago, Pi2 said:

I have no idea what a .HEIC file is

It's a proprietary image format used in iOS 11 only. If you don't own an Apple product with iOS 11 you need to download a converter to view the file.

Basically, it's another idiotic move by Apple to lock their users into their platform and making switching to another platform difficult. 

On 3.11.2017 at 3:35 PM, BlueLance said:

At least you get past cycle 6..... I have had 6 different starts, over 20 saves and I cannot get past cycle 6 on my latest

Changed you something about building priority? Research for example is a looong task, had to watch bladder/calories and disable building, till he was again ready to..
The prioritys seem to be changed a bit, they work more efficient now(for me). Dupes obey more/quicker to commands.
When buildings have set high workload (algae thing / water/algae) and you run some of them + some hamsterwheels, the dupes quick are at full workload, when those at high priority.
As soon as i change priority for such buildings higher then five, problems start.
Before that update i had all prioritys organized (massage table/med station 9) algae 7 storage 6 for example. Now most stuff is on 5 and it works, but makes not much sense for me.
Bad stuff for me is, that game forces me, to play with only few dupes someway. Map is shrinked, but when most of map is uncovered, it's laggy again.
Running a big base with 6 dupes only and that feels a bit, like  "timestretching" like the research.
For me performance has big impact on playstyle/baseplanning..
Feels not really like "(player)freedom"
Yes sure, great updates, but search for "oxygen not included lag" on youtube.
I liked ONI most, while you had to grow perfect farm for seeds.
Now farming/germs and some other things, are out of balance(to easy).
With automation update, they inserted an option to destroy any unwanted gas(doors/airlock) on big scale.. Casual again..

Archived