Automation Upgrade Preview Available!

19 minutes ago, mdallicardillo said:

That's a lot of area for logic... I'm going to go ahead and put this out there now, but it is going to be amazing if/when the end of the tech tree includes a "microprocessor" of sorts that you build in only a few squares and has inputs and outputs that then opens a new "build" window and allows you to build logic circuits for that specific processor :D  I don't even have my hands on THIS upgrade yet and I'm salivating over the thought of it!

I think having an additional need for space is suitable, but it'd be nice if there were a tech upgrade to wirelessly transmit from a circuit board to the relevant device.

Just now, LeadfootSlim said:

I think having an additional need for space is suitable, but it'd be nice if there were a tech upgrade to wirelessly transmit from a circuit board to the relevant device.

Oh yea! I can almost see it: radio emitter, radio receiver, channels from 1 to 10, with Jetsons-like antennae!

3 minutes ago, goboking said:

Dive in and play with these new features now in their unfinished state or wait two weeks and get the bug-free experience?  That's a tough choice.

Dive in, find bugs, report them, they'll really appreciate it. (They are not that many anyway)

In this thread, programmers orgasming. I won't lie, I'm really happy about having sensors and that they're distinct from power wiring, but I'm not looking forward to being inundated by the "look at my calculator" "look at my CPU" etc posts.

I'm not sure what the point of this conductive wire is. Before this update, we had 1KW wire circuits with transformers to connect them to heavi-watt backbones with all the power producers on it, as well as any big power consumers like aquatuner or maybe tepidizer. Conductive wire doesn't have a transformer that matches its 2KW wattage, so the only way to use it effectively is on discrete circuits with their own power producers. I'm not a fan. Also, the decor penalty is just as high as heavi-watt wire!? What gives?

1 minute ago, Byste said:

Conductive wire doesn't have a transformer that matches its 2KW wattage, so the only way to use it effectively is on discrete circuits with their own power producers.

You can use two transformers.

2 minutes ago, Byste said:

I'm not looking forward to being inundated by the "look at my calculator" "look at my CPU" etc posts.

For people who isn't into programming that might be quite a breakthrough, let them brag about their new knowledge.

3 minutes ago, Byste said:

Conductive wire doesn't have a transformer that matches its 2KW wattage, so the only way to use it effectively is on discrete circuits with their own power producers. I'm not a fan

Maybe they'll raise the output of the current transformers? for now, two transformers (or a transformer and a battery) should do.

3 minutes ago, Byste said:

Also, the decor penalty is just as high as heavi-watt wire!? What gives?

Inheritance? copy-paste? I dunno, definitively not intended.

Just now, Risu said:

It can also go in tiles, so might prove useful going to aquatuner.

Yes I thought of this, it could be situationally easier to accommodate (probably not though, given heavi-watt tile)

15 minutes ago, Byste said:

Conductive wire doesn't have a transformer that matches its 2KW wattage, so the only way to use it effectively is on discrete circuits with their own power producers. I'm not a fan. Also, the decor penalty is just as high as heavi-watt wire!? What gives?

Transformers were never limited to 1KW... you can (and could) easily pull 20KW on the output of a transformer. It was always the wiring that set the limit. You just had to use heavi-watt wire before.

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Transformers were never limited to 1KW... you can (and could) easily pull 20KW on the output of a transformer. It was always the wiring that set the limit. You just had to use heavi-watt wire before.

If this is accurate than the heavy watt connector plate is going to be used even less than it already is.

2 minutes ago, goboking said:

If this is accurate than the heavy watt connector plate is going to be used even less than it already is.

Note how the power input goes only the first transformer, and is connected to the other transformers on the output of that. There's an aquatuner, a tepidizer, and 4 pumps connected to that first transformer, or 3120W.

2017-10-11 (2).png

39 minutes ago, Byste said:

If true, then that is better than nothing, but still potentially hard to justify versus running 2 1KW circuits

I don't get the point.  I have 1k and 20k circuits.  Why 2k if I need to tear out the 1k and/or run two transformers?  Seems very limited use scenarios. 

Can't wait to make a flipflop or some memory circuits with the automation stuff.
The big thing from these automations though is that you can now seperate your control and sensors from the actual machine wiring. So you can put a sensor in one place, and the pump it controls somewhere else. This will be very useful for bringing in things to your base / main storage areas of say water from remote geysers, all you need is a pump at the geyser, hooked up to a switch at the resevoir that yells if the resevoir is gettling low.

2 minutes ago, chemie said:

I don't get the point.  I have 1k and 20k circuits.  Why 2k if I need to tear out the 1k and/or run two transformers?  Seems very limited use scenarios. 

Again... you do not need 2 transformers. Transformer have never been output limited. I have no idea why people think they are. And I just demonstrated above that they aren't.

2 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

Can't wait to make a flipflop or some memory circuits with the automation stuff.
The big thing from these automations though is that you can now seperate your control and sensors from the actual machine wiring. So you can put a sensor in one place, and the pump it controls somewhere else. This will be very useful for bringing in things to your base / main storage areas of say water from remote geysers, all you need is a pump at the geyser, hooked up to a switch at the resevoir that yells if the resevoir is gettling low.

Even better. You can have a few thermal sensor in two geysers and a comparator array will select to pump from the geyser where the water has the lowest temperature.

18 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Again... you do not need 2 transformers. Transformer have never been output limited. I have no idea why people think they are. And I just demonstrated above that they aren't.

Does not change my comment.  I am not doing to tear out 1k system to eliminate a transformer and I use 20k heavy wire for everything outisde of base anyway.  I have not had a need for 2k circuits.

I have not had a need for a silly pole either.  Or logic circuits.

22 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

so instead of just running power to that far out area, you now need to run power and control wire?  Not sure I see the benefit. (I just ran the power through the switch at the base for geyser pumps anyway)

25 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

Just tested a flip flop and found the logic circuits are loaded in a false state, so everything breaks when you load a save. So... still needs work.

Archived