[Updated] Oil Upgrade Preview Now Available!

Has anyone been able to get the heavi-watt-tiles to work?

I keep trying to build it, the schematic is laid down and the dupes bring the materials and everything... but then it never builds and the "invalid construction location pops" up. But there is nothing around the tile. It's floating in the air. 

Any special trick to make them work?

24 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Research seems too fast at the moment, I got done with it on day 21, long before I needed any of the late game stuff

If it is anything like the OU update where they made it fast so people can use it I doubt they will slow it down now....the good news is I dont need dupes with high learning anymore.

1 hour ago, NurdRage said:

Tried that, also said invalid construction location.

Has anyone gotten it to work at all? If so then it's probably me.

Same here so it's probably not just you. Tried the block alone, connected, on top of a previous line of heavy wire and no success thus far.

10 hours ago, NurdRage said:

Has anyone been able to get the heavi-watt-tiles to work?

I keep trying to build it, the schematic is laid down and the dupes bring the materials and everything... but then it never builds and the "invalid construction location pops" up. But there is nothing around the tile. It's floating in the air. 

Any special trick to make them work?

Yeah, the tile bridge took me a little bit to finally figure out how it works.

Basically, it has two heavy wire "heads" sticking out on the side, and if you want to build it on the floor next to two "solid" tiles, you need to rotate it so that the heavy wire heads are sticking out up and down instead of left and right.

7 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

Yeah, the tile bridge took me a little bit to finally figure out how it works.

Basically, it has two heavy wire "heads" sticking out on the side, and if you want to build it on the floor next to two "solid" tiles, you need to rotate it so that the heavy wire heads are sticking out up and down instead of left and right.

Yes, but have you successfully built one in actual game play? I can place any way I want and have it set at P9 for an eternity but it never gets built.

Just now, Saturnus said:

Yes, but have you successfully built one in actual game play? I can place any way I want and have it set at P9 for an eternity but it never gets built.

Nope, not normally anyway... I built them in insta-built mode :/

So it's bugged when you tried to build it normally?  Jeez...

13 minutes ago, StormHUN said:

Can someone explain what "room mechanic" means?

Rooms are created automatically when you enclose a space with doors and tiles (though tiles are optional I believe).

Based on what you place in that enclosed space, it will be assigned as one of these options:

• Latrine for toilets to relieve more stress
  • Barracks for sleeping togain more stamina
  • Quarantine for separating sick dupes from gen pop which is an advantage in itself
  • Messhall for eating food to relieve more stress

Mind you some (or all) rooms can become invalidated once you put "industrial machinery" inside (even deodorisers are considered as such) or make it too big. If the max size is, let's say 64 tiles, it does not mean 64 tiles wide, but 64 tiles squared (width * height).

Just now, StormHUN said:

Thank you!
I found a thread about rooms since but still was confused about some aspects, now it looks clear.

Happy to help. :) Rooms are one of my favourite aspects of this upgrade since they incentivise making more aesthetically pleasing bases.

2 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

Happy to help. :) Rooms are one of my favourite aspects of this upgrade since they incentivise making more aesthetically pleasing bases.

Based on what I've heard I'm absolutely not a fan.

I hate it when games press me to do things "The One Correct Way". I usually find solutions that work much better for my personal priorities, and the whole reason I love this game is the ability to be creative and do things my way. This thing means that I either do things exactly the way the devs imagined - which is 99% chance to be different from how I would do it - or not be able to enjoy any of these benefits. :/

In almost every game where you can build things I found that what most people do doesn't make sense to me and I prefer doing things very differently.

In ONI for example I plan out how my base will look like around cycle 300 already when the map starts and build accordingly, and I prefer geometrical patterns and symmetry in distributing objects/machines.

3 hours ago, StormHUN said:

Based on what I've heard I'm absolutely not a fan.

OK I might have been quick to judge. I've read some things like that the rooms need to be within a very small range of sizes, and that you can only have one bed per barrack and one mess table per mess hall - this isn't true, at least not as of now, it might have been adjusted.

But now it seems flexible enough. I built my usual sleeping area of 8 cots in a row with paintings above, I simply dropped an open door with airflow tile support on both ends and it qualifies.

I hope it works like that with the others too.

24 minutes ago, StormHUN said:

and that you can only have one bed per barrack and one mess table per mess hall

I think it's a minimum requirement. You can have more beds, or mess tables, but you can't have a barrack without bed or a mess hall without mess tables. It could be worded in a better way, sure. Like "at least one bed" "at least one mess table".

2 hours ago, StormHUN said:

But now it seems flexible enough. I built my usual sleeping area of 8 cots in a row with paintings above, I simply dropped an open door with airflow tile support on both ends and it qualifies.

You lucked out in that your typical design happened to be the exact maximum that Klei chose (8 beds = 16 wide x 4 tall =64).  For me for instance, my typical floor is 9 beds wide.  So it was just a bit under my preference.  Which isn't a big deal, but it just goes to show that it's about impossible for Klei to meet everyone's previously existing desires.  I'll adapt.  That's the name of the game.  I like the room mechanic so far, though I haven't really used it a lot.

On 9/23/2017 at 1:12 AM, BlueLance said:

If it is anything like the OU update where they made it fast so people can use it I doubt they will slow it down now....the good news is I dont need dupes with high learning anymore.

The should speed bump the research at tier 3 aswell as tier 2, something like a 1,200 power requirement for a research station should be good as it requires you to implement some of the stuff you have been researching before progressing.

Archived