Petition to bring back the Old Bell

Should Old-bell be "revived"?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Add Old Bell back to DST?

• Yes
    • No

Imagine if the Old Bell never existed in singleplayer. Adding it to DST as part of A New Reign or something would cause an uproar; people would complain about easy-peasy boss fights and resource harvesting. I think that people mostly want it in DST because it's in DS, and it feels like something is missing whenever you look at Glommer's Wings. I think something should be done about the wings, at least, so they aren't just a reminder of what was removed. Maybe just make them a trinket for the Pig King or Antlion.

25 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

can't just ignore them because you don't want to give the arguments any credit lol, that's silly. 

Cute.

1). Torches have a tag that you can trace to ban that player.

So....what?

Your second point is then gonna mention how rolling back is useless because you need active admins. Same goes for this then. What good is it knowing the grieffer, if there's no active admins to ban them. Your logic is very easily used against you.

And even if you could ban them, so? Damage has still been done. And you are not anymore safer for bannign them. For every grieffer you ban, there's another 5 potentially spawning in.

Grieffers tend to log out once the job is done, so it doesn't matter anyway.

2). Rolling back isn't always available and without playing a server with active admins it won't take the Old Bell out of their hands.

That's true, but that's just a sad reality with public servers with any sort of grieffing.

3). The Old Bell is very accident prone due to poor design for multiplayer, it may not have been intentional grief at all, yet the player still gets punished as one.

That goes for every item in this game. You know how many times I've seen a base burn because someone misclicked a fire staff?

4). Adding additional tools to grief with does not equate directly to "The amount of griefing will be exact the same quantity or less".

Yes, and it does not equate to "The amount of griefing will be more". Especially, considering that it takes more time and effort than building a torch, that does equal or even more damage. 

Now to move on from grief to the real topic at hand here, why add the Old Bell? 

Personally, because I want to use it for the same reasons I used it in singleplayer. I think it would be especially useful for DST, as it would balance some bosses that are designed to be fought by multiple players and not one. 

Also, I think it would be a lot of fun in PVP servers.

there is already a DST variant added to the game.

No idea what you are on about.

Is that all you got? 

54 minutes ago, Toros said:

Potentially panflute and old bell could kill a group of players from most of a screen away.  Panflute is pretty OP too, and an excellent example of what happens to balance when we don't remove these items from the game.

Panflute has no effect on players outside of PvP, so this isn't actually possible outside of the gamemode. Now that mandrakes also have no effect on players outside of PvP, only sources of sleep accessible to players is Mr. Bearger, I think. If he's being used to put players to sleep he might as well be used to kill them instead of the bell. 

The pan flute is undeniably OP in PvP though, but since Klei hasn't show any interest in PvP I'm not going to discuss it.

Just now, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Personally, because I want to use it for the same reasons I used it in singleplayer. I think it would be especially useful for DST, as it would balance some bosses that are designed to be fought by multiple players and not one.

Also, I think it would be a lot of fun in PVP servers.

Though I have to debate that those bosses are already balanced and all kill-able solo (Yes, even without massive cheese). While I can see why someone would want to orbital nuke a boss, I don't personally agree with adding it to the core game for solo players.

I don't play PVP, but seems pretty OP lol, which does technically equate to fun in PVP games usually for the player using it.

2 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

No idea what you are on about.

Is that all you got?

Then read any of the posts above explaining it, including mine.

435.gif

So you are just gonna ignore all of the other points because they don't fit your narrative, huh? Now that's silly.

13 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

Though I have to debate that those bosses are already balanced and all kill-able solo 

This is true, but it requires a lot of grinding. And also, in some cases, wall building which abuse mob AI (I don't think I've ever seen anyone beat the Dragonfly solo without building walls around the Lava pits).

I don't play PVP, but seems pretty OP lol, which does technically equate to fun in PVP games usually for the player using it.

It's not OP because you can, you know, easily move out of the way. Is it chaotic and fun? absolutely. 

Then read any of the posts above explaining it, including mine.

Is this referring to a mod? 

14 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

So you are just gonna ignore all of the other points because they don't fit your narrative, huh? Now that's silly.

This is true, but it requires a lot of grinding. And also, in some cases, wall building which abuse mob AI (I don't think I've ever seen anyone beat the Dragonfly solo without building walls around the Lava pits).

zzz.....................

Again - YOU focus on how it's not griefing, I don't care about griefing.  I care about interesting game play that is balanced for a survival world.  OId Bell does not fit, there is nothing that is appealing about it.

What is good about an item that is 1) easy to get, 2) easy to use, and 3) adds no interesting gameplay.  There is no justification for how powerful Old Bell is, for how stupid easy it is to get. Glommer's wings could use another purpose.  It does kinda suck that the loot is there and does nothing... but Old Bell is not the answer. 

"The Old Bell is overpowered do not add"

...Don't Starve Together is a standalone multiplayer expansion for Don't Starve, which is single-player, this means that they have to re-balance a lot of things, probably almost the entire game, and they did, same thing can happen to the Old Bell, and it is up to Klei's hands to do so.

There's also the fact that Klei always listens to us: Don't Starve Together was Don't Starve's most requested feature, they fixed the vote system, they re-balanced Willow to fight griefers...

I'm pretty sure they have enough experience and intelligence to re-work it and please everyone, after all, we can already make a world without something in specific for example, there's nothing that will prevent Klei from adding it in a good way. Plus they always update the game, although I doubt it'll happen: Even if they make a mistake, they can fix it with, say, a Hotfix.

So here is what i am getting from this.

The side that doesn't want the bell thinks it is a bad idea because griefers will do what they do.

The side that wants the bell wants to use it for obtaining resources and killing bosses.

why are people fighting over this exactly?

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

What if bigfoot is a randomized element. So we can't use the bell, the foot will arive as a wrath from the heavens. Players only can get warned by a roar or some weird noise, giving more of a reason to run?

but you can't attack it or kill it plus it has a big impact zone.

Plus there already enough incidents of a giant coming but not everyone leaves base. then base go bye bye

5 hours ago, Toros said:

Fingomatics stop both torch and gunpowder options,

A simple right click or even a hammer can stop a flingo and allow torches and gunpowder. It also has a significantly lower time commitment compared to the old bell.

5 hours ago, Toros said:

Old bell is also a much larger radius and will 1-shot many of the characters and can be used from further away.  Potentially panflute and old bell could kill a group of players from most of a screen away.  Panflute is pretty OP too, and an excellent example of what happens to balance when we don't remove these items from the game.

And suddenly this is about pvp (and honestly I could care less about pvp in a game like this. It pretty much boils down to whoever has the better equipment/character with little to no skill required). If it's really such a big deal then just give the old bell the ability to wake up anything that's sleeping. I mean it is a bell after all. It would make sense.

5 hours ago, Toros said:

Gunpowder is somewhat OP but also quite expensive to make and kiting saves you time vs making gunpowder for most bosses.  I'm not sure why we need another OP item to solve a problem we don't have.  Old bell is fast and easy to make and would just contribute to the game being that much easier.

15 gunpowder = 1 old bell. And if you know what you're doing then that's really not too difficult to obtain either. Another easy solution to balance it out would to have the damage the old bell deals will contribute to the gunpowder resistance that bosses got recently. So you can cheese things until you deal too much damage, then they become much less effective.

And unlike gunpowder, you can't actively farm for the old bell's materials. You're forced to wait a specific amount of time and be aware of the moon's phases.

5 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

If it's really such a big deal then just give the old bell the ability to wake up anything that's sleeping.

i remember that feature in game, it was either pan flute-ring-pan flute or ring, bait, put to sleep and run

Archived